how do i install new maps in my garmin?   

how do i install new maps in my garmin?

Postby colombianlink20 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:50 am

i only have old maps just for U.S.A, but now i want to upgrade the maps to the entire north america CAN,USA,MEX. i have downloaded the unlocked image, some jcv file, some gmaptz file and other file called gmap3d. what do i do next? how do i install the new 2011 north america maps?
colombianlink20 offline

Postby PiEtU » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:32 am

PiEtU offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby georgevl » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:29 am

HOW TO REVERT A US-GARMIN (nuvi 1450 or other 1xxxx or even other older GARMIN units) INTO A EU-GARMIN UNIT
===========================================================================

Hi, I have a GARMIN Nuvi 1450 bought in the USA i.e. US+Canada maps installed by default. This Nuvi will never be used in the USA/Canada so I need to change the installed maps with the Garmin CT EU 2011.40 NT (FULL+UNLOCKED) and not to install them on an external SD card.

The procedure I plan to use is the following:
1) Update the firmware by running webupdater (done-Updated to version 5.20)
2) Full backup (with hidden/system files too) to my PC HDDrive (Done -OK)
3) Install the US map on a SD card - This step is to ensure that the maps are working with no problem)(*) - It has been done and works fine!

Next steps to follow (Here I need your experience and expertise)
4) Replace the following files of (US) with the respective (EU)

FILES IN .SYSTEM folder:

4a) 006D135900.gpi (size: 1.159.063) I have no idea what this file is, so I'll leave it as it is - if you know pls tell me!!!
4b) fs_image.ver (size: 14) same as above
4c) gmapbmap.img (size: 51.019.776) Since this is the base(global) map-I will leave it
4d) gmapbmap.sum (size: 416) Check-sum for the base(global) map-I will leave it
4e) gmapprom.img (size: 1.223.983.104) REPLACE WITH gmapprom.img (size:2.168.640) of the CT EU 2011.40 XT
4f) gmapprom.sum (size: 416) - Since this is the check-sum file for the US detail map I plan to delete it, hoping that the s/w will rebuilt it for the EU map...
4g) gmaptz.img (size: 605.184) Time-Map, I will leave it.
4h) gmaptz.sum (size: 416) Check-sum for the Time-map, I will leave it.
4i) Locales.xml (size: 71.846) I will leave it
4j) TrafficProvider.xml (size: 245.239) This file was _added_ after the last s/w update (step 1), I believe it has to do with TMC, I will leave it.

5) I have some other maps from the EU 2011.40 XT SET. They are the following:
5a) gmaptz.img (size: 606.208) Perhaps I will replace the gmaptz.img installed in the Garmin because this file (of EU map set) is bigger (than the similar of US-installed) but I think it is not that important.
5b) gmap3d.img (size: 378.496) This is the 3D-EU map which will be installed in other GPS like the 755. The 1450 does not support 3d-mapping, I'll leave
5c) D2504030A.jcv (size: 681.441) Junction view file. I will put it in the folder .system\jvc after I will have deleted all the contents of this folder: D1279060A.img and D1279060.sum (US-junction view file and its checksum file)
5d) D2331040A.G2S (size: 308.421.696) Any idea what this file is and where to put it? (it seems it must be put in ".system/g2s/" folder)
5e) SQLite folder with:

.System\SQLite\D233000.db (size: 166.690.816)
.System\SQLite\local_poi.db (size: 18.432)
.System\SQLite\mlg_history.db (size: 4.096)
.System\SQLite\pre.db (size: 9.216)
.System\SQLite\system.db (size: 2.048)

Any idea what these files are? The files in the GPS unit (w/US Map installed) are:
.System\SQLite\local_poi.db (size: 13.312)
.System\SQLite\mlg_history.db (size: 4.096)
.System\SQLite\system.db (size: 2.048)

I suspect that they are Points of Interest (POI) for the US so perhaps they need replacement with the above BUT the POI, I thought, were included in the *.img map or I miss something?- please inform...!

6) After copying the above files I will make a bit-compare of these files with the ones tested in the SD card (*)

(*) steps 3) and 6) are to ensure that the copied files are ok and no problem will appear because of "bad" file-copying

7) Turn-off unit, Remove the SD card, reboot and PRAY to work.

8) If everything goes well, the next step will be to add an UNLOCKED Greek map with Greek fonts for use only in Greece
I will name the map gmapsupp.img and put it in the root directory [or in "Root\MAP\" folder with any name *.img e.g. GreekMap.img (ONLY for 1xxx units)]

9) Next step to add Safety/radar cameras by copying respective files in POI folder (according to instructions of the respective file)

The experts of the forum are asked: Do you agree with this procedure or I will mess it up?

Thanks in advance. I will inform you about the results and then you can post it as a tutorial - this is the reason of writing so many details.

George
georgevl offline

Return to General Discussions about Garmin