How to add non-US maps on Nuvi 40LM?   

How to add non-US maps on Nuvi 40LM?

Postby dannyu » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:16 pm

Hi All,

I'm trying to help a friend which just baught a Garmin Nuvi
40LM unit. He got US maps with it but now wants to load
more maps (e.g. Europe).

I have no idea how Garmin works as I'm the owner of few MIO devices which I'm familiar with deeply.
My questions are:
1. Can this unit be cracked some how?
2. are IGO maps suitable for this unit? if not, does Garmin
uses special format?
3. Where do I download maps for this unit?

Any suggestions of the steps to perform in order to do it (if any) would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Danny
dannyu offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:47 pm

1. The device needn't to be cracked, you can use most maps in Garmin format for it.
2. Garmin has special format, so you can't use IGO or other maps for it. But you will find much more maps in Garmin format than for every other device.
3. Of course in the Garmin maps section here in this board and also at [Please Register or Login to download file]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby milanmania2004 » Sun May 20, 2012 9:22 am

hi, i believe you need create a folder named "Maps" in the sdcard. download additional maps from your favourit source. upload the map in the filename of gmapsupp.img into the "Maps" folder just created.
milanmania2004 offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Sun May 20, 2012 11:46 am

@milanmania2004
Thanks for your first post, but unfortunately the question is about one month old and answered for a long time. Also the folder for the maps has to be named Map (not Map[color="#FF0000"]s[/color]).

However, lets you not hold from it writing posts here furthermore, you're welcome :D!
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby packeteer » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:01 pm

i apologize for necro'ing this thread - but this is the info i was looking for and i just signed up.
thank you :)
packeteer offline

Postby burnt03 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:32 am

Tried what was suggested on the thread without much luck....

Used Mapsource to upload map files onto a microSD card, ended up with a gmapsupp.img file that was around 400MB. Moved it into a newly generated "MAP" folder on the card, loaded it in but no dice. Just have the regular street maps.

Any ideas? It's a Garmin Nuvi 40, topo canada v2
burnt03 offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:39 am

When you sendet a map with Mapsource or Mapinstall onto SD card, it is not necessary to move or change something. You have a gmapsupp.img in folder Garmin and so it will work.
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby burnt03 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:00 pm

Tried switching it back but still no luck. On my old eTrex, I had to go into the setting to select the maps I loaded but this one doesn't seem to have that option... what am I missing?
burnt03 offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:17 pm

A nuvi is no outdoor handheld like an eTrex! I fear that your nuvi 40 is not good choice for using topo maps.

I don't know the nuvi 40, but other current nuvi devices have the menu point "my maps" where you can select or deselect the installed maps.
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about Garmin