help unlocking a new map from nuvi 56   

help unlocking a new map from nuvi 56

Postby peteyboy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:18 pm

Wondered if anyone can help me with this, I have a Garmin Nuvi 56 with free lifetime map updates I have copied the latest map from it to my hard drive and the run it through gimgunlock-0.04 but still get the message cant unlock map in my kenwood sat nav I know I can download map from here but wondered if there was a way to unlock the map from my own device
Thanks
Pete
peteyboy offline

Re: help unlocking a new map from nuvi 56

Postby kolokythas » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:37 am

peteyboy wrote:Wondered if anyone can help me with this, I have a Garmin Nuvi 56 with free lifetime map updates I have copied the latest map from it to my hard drive and the run it through gimgunlock-0.04 but still get the message cant unlock map in my kenwood sat nav I know I can download map from here but wondered if there was a way to unlock the map from my own device
Thanks
Pete

You could spend a little time to read and realize that in many devices is not enough the unlocking of the map only baut a patching of the firmware is required also .....
kolokythas offline

Postby peteyboy » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:41 pm

I have read about patching firmware etc but as I said I can use unlocked maps from here, have now worked out I needed to use Garmin Unlocker Alternative v2.4 and now have unlocked my own map
thanks for your help
Pete
peteyboy offline

Postby B1ng0 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:08 am

@peteyboy
While your nuvi 56 certainly has protected firmware which must be patched to use some 'unlocked' maps, namely Unicode, it's a fact that Kenwood devices running garmin firmware for navigation can use unlocked maps without patching. In fact as you found even quite early unlockers, such as Version 2.4 of Garmin Unlocker Alternative which dates from 2010 from memory, can still allow use of unlocked maps in older garmin devices and softwares.
B1ng0 offline

User avatar Junior Member

Return to General Discussions about Garmin