Garmin Quest 2 Map Update Compatibility   

Garmin Quest 2 Map Update Compatibility

Postby Arthurius » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:53 pm

I have a Garmin Quest 2 in my Jeep TJ and would like to update the map. The Quest 2 sits in a charging cradle on the dash that was a factory option known as the Trailguide from Jeep. Keeping it around is mostly for nostalgia and collector purposes but I think some updated maps would turn this vintage piece of gear into a nifty little backup GPS when out on the trails.

Now, the ugly. The maps on the unit are very dated, likely from 2006 when the Jeep was built. This creates a problem when driving in Phoenix, which has expanded greatly since the early 2000's. I have done some research and it appears this device is compatible with NT maps, but the internal storage is a very limited 1 GB. I have not confirmed this but I assume it to be true as this device is so old.

Does anyone know where to start with this update and if it is even possible to do? From some research I have found the newer maps are closer to 4 GB for all of North America, but understand i may be able to omit some of the portions of the maps to get it to fit within my size constraints? I am truly only interested in maps of the desert southwest, such as CA, AZ, NM, NV, UT and CO.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Arthurius offline

Re: Garmin Quest 2 Map Update Compatibility

Postby Pilou37 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:29 am

Take a look there : new-maps/city-navigator-north-america-2024-fid-9949-t23168.html
And download the Gmap folder Unlocked For PC with MSI installer.
After install on a Windows PC, you will be able to create your own map.
Connect the Gps on a pc and check the Garmin folder of your Gps.
You will find a file named gmapsupp.img or gmaprom.img (this file is the biggest in size).
Save it on your computer and then delete it from the Gps.

Finally, copy the map file you created into the Garmin folder of the Gps.
Pilou37 offline

User avatar Junior Member

Return to General Discussions about Garmin