Garmin Nuvi 50   

Garmin Nuvi 50

Postby kainanmaki » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:29 pm

Guys,

I´m interested in buying a Nuvi 50 GPS.

Just wanted to ask if there are any limitations for using unlocked maps on it or any other known problems with this model

Thanks!!
kainanmaki offline

Postby Confused » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:56 pm

kainanmaki wrote:Guys,

I´m interested in buying a Nuvi 50 GPS.

Just wanted to ask if there are any limitations for using unlocked maps on it or any other known problems with this model

Thanks!!

The Nuvi 50 has limited internal memory which is not a big deal but I would plan on putting maps and map updates on an SD/MicroSD and space will not be an issue. All the unlocked maps here will work and you woun't have to search for smaller IMG files so they fit.

The Junction View file (.JCV) issued with each new map release is a special file used by the 30/40/50 and those models require coming up with (finding) an new JCV with each map release. This hasn't been a particuar problem so far but you are basically dependent on another user of one those models sharing the file. Each new map requires a new JCV (they are a mitched set). If you can't find correct JCV when the map becomes available, the map will still work perfectly but you won't see the junction view images pop up.

For a few bucks more you can get a 50LM (the LM includes free lifetime map updates) which in my opinion is well worth the investment.

Just make sure the 50 has the features you want because features are not easily added, if it can be done at all. Ability to save multiple routes come to mind?
Confused offline

Postby kainanmaki » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:36 am

Thanks confused, that cleared a lot of things. More questions coming your way :))

1) What´s the max capacity supported for the micro sd cards on the Nuvi 50? Is there any limitation based on the file system?

2) Do I have to merge maps to upload them on the SD Card like the old nuvis or just any .img uploaded would do the trick?

3) Considering that you can get the unlocked maps of almost every country, and based on your words, the only problem may arise in relation to the JCV (term I learned few minutes ago thanks to you), what´s the real benefit of buying the LM version? (I assume it comes with lifetime updates only for the preinstalled map). It is just a way to guarentee yourself the latest version alongside with the JCV for those preinstalled maps?

4) Last but not least, you wrote that each map requires an specific JCV for that function. Those files are only map-dependant? Meaning, the correct JCV file for the XYZ Map will work on every garmin gps as long as there is a full match like you said before? Or every garmin model has some influence on the JCV?

I know these questions are rated N for Noob so, thanks for your help.
kainanmaki offline

Return to General Discussions about Garmin