Garmin 2595LM Firmware update?   

Garmin 2595LM Firmware update?

Postby hacknovice » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:51 pm

Hello,
Sorry for NooB quesion.
I have a Garmin 2595LM that is up to date with US/Can/Mex maps since it has lifetime map updates.
When the GPS starts, it says: nuvi 2595 Copyright 2016. I wonder if the firmware needs updating or is that how it should show? If it needs a firmware update, is there a way to manually update or would it have updated via Garmin Express software? TIA

Edit: Thanks you, my software is the most updated one Release 8.30
hacknovice offline

Re: Garmin 2595LM Firmware update?

Postby GarmanNuvi » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:24 am

hacknovice wrote:Hello,
Sorry for NooB quesion.
I have a Garmin 2595LM that is up to date with US/Can/Mex maps since it has lifetime map updates.
When the GPS starts, it says: nuvi 2595 Copyright 2016. I wonder if the firmware needs updating or is that how it should show? If it needs a firmware update, is there a way to manually update or would it have updated via Garmin Express software? TIA

Use Garmin Express to update Maps & Firmware.Copyright 2016 means as of October 3, 2016 the date of the last update available 8.30.
nuvi 24x5 and 25x5 (GCD File) 006-B1371-00 Release 8.30 [Please Register or Login to download file]
Before you post, "The archive is corrupt or damaged"
Please make sure your archive software is up to date or just Use the latest [Please Register or Login to download file]
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Very odd problem updating 2595lm ie cannot

Postby sup8pdct » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:20 am

Have a 2595LM and i cannot update this unit. I have no problem with other garmin units with Lifetime Map updates.

What happens is I load express, plug in unit to computer, express finds unit, Garmin 2595 shuts down then express has an error and closes down.
I can plug in unit and explorer its file system on the computer but as soon as i start express and express finds this unit, unit shuts down and express errors and has to close down.

Again, it the only garmin gps that does this. 2 other 2595's a 2597, 2797 plus a couple of others don't show this behavior.
Is there some odd setting that needs to be changed or is this particular unit faulty? or is there something inside that needs a tweek?
sup8pdct offline

Re: Very odd problem updating 2595lm ie cannot

Postby GarmanNuvi » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:32 pm

sup8pdct wrote: Garmin 2595 shuts down then express has an error and closes down.

You've eliminated GE and your USB Cable & drivers by using other similar devices as suspects.
I would first do a hard reset
Make sure the Garmin is powered off. Then press down and hold with your thumb on the right bottom corner area of the Garmin. Continue holding and power on the Garmin. When the Garmin comes to a screen that it seems to be stalled on release your thumb and you should be given the option to erase all the data.
If that does not work try deleting the garmindevice.xml ,when you restart the device it will create a new one.
If you want to prove the garmindevice.xml is corrupt, copy it from the device to a FAT 32 formatted SD card and place it in a folder called Garmin ,this is now a clone of your device.Plug the SD card into your PC or SD card adaptor(NOT the device) and run Garmin Express, if it is corrupt you will have the same error.
Please make sure your archive software is up to date or just Use the latest [Please Register or Login to download file]
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby sup8pdct » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:55 am

That didn't work. something deeper is happening. I have another one that has lines down the screen. maybe i could make one good one out of two.
sup8pdct offline

Postby GarmanNuvi » Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:13 am

sup8pdct wrote:That didn't work. something deeper is happening. I have another one that has lines down the screen. maybe i could make one good one out of two.

Did it work as a clone on an SD card, if it did it would point to the device, possibly the [Please Register or Login to download file]
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby sup8pdct » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:02 am

Tried the garmindevice.xml file on a sd card. Express found and saved updates to the sd card. Putting sd card into unit again doesn't show new map :(
Noticed .System folder doesn't show on internal storage. tried to copy it but guessing unit blocks all access unless a garmin program is running.

Uploaded said file.

Thank you for trying to help
sup8pdct offline

Postby GarmanNuvi » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:01 pm

sup8pdct wrote:Tried the garmindevice.xml file on a sd card. Express found and saved updates to the sd card. Putting sd card into unit again doesn't show new map :(

Your device does not recognise maps on an SD card in the same way. Rename & arrange as the image below

Noticed .System folder doesn't show on internal storage. tried to copy it but guessing unit blocks all access unless a garmin program is running.

You need to allow your PC to show system folders

Check your PM
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby sup8pdct » Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:48 am

Your device does not recognise maps on an SD card in the same way. Rename & arrange as the image below

Thanks

You need to allow your PC to show system folders

Already done that. I have noted that some units show the .system folder, some don't ??!??
maybe pc treats each unit differently??

Got the file, thanks. Now know what to do next time.

Believe it or not, I managed to update the unit by using the following method.
Booted up an old laptop that has older version of express. Turned off internet access. loaded express with unit connected. unit once again shutdown but express didn't. express said not connected to internet so enabled internet. express then showed all updates and i downloaded and installed them.
Express then checked gps unit for final time. unit shut down and then express shut down.

Not sure if that trick will work again, but at least i can now update maps in the future on to sd card. Thank you again.
Still a puzzle how unit shuts down. Maybe a small error happened when firmware was updated some 6 years ago??
sup8pdct offline

Return to General Discussions about Garmin