Garmin 255w wows, customising, maps updating   

Garmin 255w wows, customising, maps updating

Postby Atasas » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:07 pm

Hello Folks!
Funnily enough I didn't get ban in a last few days:crazy:
Here's my 3'rd SatNav, I need more help with
Garmin nuvi 255w, 4.3"
1- drives me up the wall with complete reboot when it gets connected back on charge (up to 2 min)
2- maps are badly outdated, I had old 2010 maps, stopped loading etc, so bought new 4GB card, downloaded some wrong, some right stuff, some hope will do for now:crazy:
(sorry, but can not download nothing much in an instant for the next 3 weeks, in case maps I have are no use... I'd love to hear they are OK or to get them at least to help me for some time) Unless you'd point out to proper torrent- I'd pop out to my mates in few days to dl.

Considering , that I do have 2 other units running iGO Primo 2.0 now- this (Garmin) functionally like dinosaur, that is woeful!
I know, all of the questions must have been asked and answered 100's of times, but some help would be greatly appreciated in finding simple tutorials or simple tweaks as how could I make it a bit more bearable .
Where and how do I start please?:chok_mini:
Atasas offline

Postby Atasas » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:36 pm

nana!
Garmin City Navigator W&C Europe NT 2012.10

as per said
IMPORTANT: Make a backup of your old map, before inserting the new Map!
If you have an old map installed on the MicroSD/SD CARD, format and insert the New Map. (Format Fat/Fat32)

1. Extract from the archive, copy gmapsupp and paste into MicroSD/SD Card 2/4 Gb. (2 Sufficient)

Turn on your GPS should now load the map...or else go to settings of your GPS map and put the check mark on the map loads

DONE!

and once Garmin s started up
maps are 2010...
Could I get direction for different (ideally torrent) for (Europe Western and central) to download later?
also, is there a way to add POI's New Spedd-cams?
and still, is there a way to fix endless booting upon getting charge back on?
also is there some short specific to device tut's so I could read up, before I'll be able to DL appropriate maps... (ideally without need for cracking/activating?)
many thanks!
Atasas offline

Postby chas521 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:11 pm

[color="#FF0000"]First of all, people get banned because they broke the rules or are insensitive to others NOT from asking legitimate questions!!!!!!![/color]

What about these maps? You want the unlocked full .img maps. http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?11268-City-Navigator-Europe-NT-2013.30 I believe the POIs are included in the download. Speedcams are here http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?1888-Garmin-Cyclops%E2%84%A2-Safety-Cameras-EU-AU-NA-SAf-RU&p=100048#post100048 Just create a file called POI on your disk drive and put the correct file into it. Not the whole thing. BTW, the map file should be named gmapprom.img. Back up your old gmapprom.img file.

OR

You could put the map unlocked .img file on your SD card and change the name of the map set to gmapsupp.img inside a folder called Garmin.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Atasas » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:18 pm

:crazy:
I believe to addressed mr Garmin rather harshly- so so so sorry! :crazy:

On a serious note- Thanks chas521! will asking more as in sense as to modify the way it starts possible? or is it a way to embed different OS all together by any chance?

How to know if one on a torrent- same name is of navitotal "legit"
I mean, I use mobile dongle and will be downloading it from my mates... would prefer in that sense?
Atasas offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:52 pm

Atasas wrote::crazy:
I believe to addressed mr Garmin rather harshly- so so so sorry! :crazy:

1, On a serious note- Thanks chas521! will asking more as in sense as to modify the way it starts possible? or is it a way to embed different OS all together by any chance?

2, How to know if one on a torrent- same name is of navitotal "legit"
I mean, I use mobile dongle and will be downloading it from my mates... would prefer in that sense?

1, No.

2, If it's posted by one of the team, including uploader/releasers then it's ok to use, just be aware your (or your mates) ip address is visible to everyone in the swarm.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Atasas » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:36 pm

Fatboyfun wrote:1, No.

2, If it's posted by one of the team, including uploader/releasers then it's ok to use, just be aware your (or your mates) ip address is visible to everyone in the swarm.

?:chok_mini:
Not even different Garmin?
2 tor....:thumbup:
Atasas offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:11 pm

Atasas wrote:...Not even different Garmin?...

no chance
:snooty::unknw_mini::cray:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Atasas » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:23 pm

p!xeldealer wrote:no chance

not nice!
ah well, just gonna update the maps and cameras...
:doh: :focus: :s016: :girl_cray:
Atasas offline

Postby Atasas » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:09 pm

Back to nitty gritty:D

chas521 wrote:[color="#FF0000"] Just create a file called POI on your disk drive and put the correct file into it. Not the whole thing.

Thanks- Done! will not know until tomorrow:tease:
(just in case backed up files that where named
006D135900.gpi
BeluxCyclopsSample.gpi
and few more similar

Map ways, before I'll get a chance to dl proper (of site) stuff-
chas521 wrote:[color="#FF0000"]BTW, the map file should be named gmapprom.img. Back up your old gmapprom.img file.

I believe that would be for the maps on a unit... kinda don't want to change or touch them yet:mamba_mini:
chas521 wrote:[color="#FF0000"]OR
You could put the map unlocked .img file on your SD card and change the name of the map set to gmapsupp.img inside a folder called Garmin.

... did that (actual file is named gmapprom.img) place on its own in SD card- Nope!
Once Unit started- it indicated 2010 maps, also in actual map selection- either 2010 or none other- kinda doesn't recognize the newer "as in screen shot post nr 1", that I got.
Weird! the fella, I downloaded from is quite reliable- good uploader and he's had tons of good feedback on it!....:chok_mini:

So, I read your post, regarding "Garmin" folder- vuallia!:thumbup:

Left uneasy, that in case, I'd like to add any additional, I'd need to dl whole .img as one or can I just add other "mix and match" in that folder?

Lastly... please tell me there is some (any ) way to disable that horrendously long reload of whole system upon charge being back on?
Phlease!:pray:
Atasas offline

Postby Atasas » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:32 pm

OK!
What if I ruined something, would at least content of same make/model work?
p!xeldealer wrote:no chance

Or is it like windows- can access, delete, but every installation creates own entries/files?
Reason I am asking- somebody might had a poop-up and might have had some luck?

... brrr:girl_cool:... meaning (shame its quite unworn and fully functional unit), but I am tempted to find a way to "rape it", by cutting files away and trying to swap them from lets say other (same) unit just to see!?:mil:
anyone tried - failed that way? :think:
Atasas offline

Postby chas521 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:39 pm

You are a confusing writer. Did anyone ever say that before? I'm trying to read between the lines you wrote. You put the newly downloaded maps [did you use unlocked .img?] on your internal drive along with the old maps you had previously. Both are called gmapprom.img? Not good! Try renaming the old gmapprom.img to oldgmapprom.img.

You put the newly downloaded maps on a SD card. Renamed them to gmapsupp.img inside a folder called Garmin - and they worked.

I don't understand your las paragrph that starts "Lastly." Sorry.

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Atasas » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:49 pm

chas521 wrote:You are a confusing writer. Did anyone ever say that before? I'm trying to read between the lines you wrote. You put the newly downloaded maps [did you use unlocked .img?] on your internal drive along with the old maps you had previously. Both are called gmapprom.img? Not good! Try renaming the old gmapprom.img to oldgmapprom.img.

You put the newly downloaded maps on a SD card. Renamed them to gmapsupp.img inside a folder called Garmin - and they worked.

I don't understand your las paragrph that starts "Lastly." Sorry.

Nope! I did not touch Unit maps or place any other in it!
The maps I downloaded earlier where .img- that didn't work without placing them in a sd card folder named Garmin as you said.- thanks!

as for last paragraph- I am looking for a way to not to let unit re'-boot/start/load maps/find signal/load route each time I plug the charge back on (or turn ignition back on). Just nothing in visible settings for it to behave the way I want.
Atasas offline

Postby chas521 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:03 am

OK. I see the maps worked using a SD card - right? If they are working then you can delete or backup the gmapprom.img on your internal - backup and then delete.

There might be a way to stop your device from re-booting. And that's by putting it to sleep. Don't know if this works with Garmin [never tried it] but it does with WinCE. Tap the on/off button [don't hold it down] and the screen should turn black. To re-start it just tap the on/off button again. Post your results.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Atasas » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:11 am

chas521 wrote:OK. I see the maps worked using a SD card - right? If they are working then you can delete or backup the gmapprom.img on your internal - backup and then delete.

There might be a way to stop your device from re-booting. And that's by putting it to sleep. Don't know if this works with Garmin [never tried it] but it does with WinCE. Tap the on/off button [don't hold it down] and the screen should turn black. To re-start it just tap the on/off button again. Post your results.

... really dont want to touch original maps and everything on that unit itself, as it takes 4gb card ... just in case.
On off- sliding button..
BTW each *uckin booting I also need to press agree button half way...:7: to let it load to the navigation page, when I need to press on a map, to continue route... if you are not on the other side of town by then!:crazy:
Atasas offline

Postby chas521 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:42 pm

Ultimately, it's your device, but if the new maps ARE working properly then you can delete the old maps with no problem. At the very least, you should rename the old gmapprom.img to something else if you don't want to delete them.

A problem[s] with putting a device to sleep is this: 1. Although putting a device to sleep makes the display blank, it does not shut off the device and it is ALWAYS drawing power from the power source. So putting it to sleep for a long time might have bad effects. 2. When waking up a device again, it has to re-establish connection to the SD card and that accounts for a delay.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Next

Return to General Discussions about Garmin