garmin 255w firmware upgrade to jcv   

garmin 255w firmware upgrade to jcv

Postby freeage » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:08 pm

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has the files needed to upgrade a garmin 255w to junction view? I have read about it on two sites. I will copy what I have read on here on the bottom. I tried to download the files but the links are all broken. Has anyone heard about this? is so, please comment? I have also been reading about the garmin 2455 lmt. it looks like the specs are pretty close to the same as the old garmin 255w. You guys think I could just get a hold of the firmware for that model and flash it on the 255 for it to work? thanks. just trying to breathe more life into my old nuvi.

How to Flash Garmin Nuvi 255W / 265W to MY/SG firmware
Flash your Garmin Nuvi 255W/265W to My/Sg firmware so that you are able to use the junction view feature.

Follow this LINK

Comment from

Ktan2

- Connect your nuvi to PC
- Back up all the files from your nuvi's directories into your PC
- Delete all the files from your nuvi's directories under Garmin/Voice/*.* and Garmin/Text/*.*
- Disconnect Nuvi from PC.
- Switch on nuvi.
- Press & hold battery icon until dignostics mode appear
- Plug in the mini USB into nuvi, connect to pc
- Download the files above, unzip and run updater.exe
- Tick usb option
- Click OK
- Click OK
- Wait and Done
- Enjoy JCV

Chaicka

The service firmware only works for HWID 0827 (US sets)? How about TW sets?

ktan2

Can ! no problem. It working. !
Simply download the file from the rapidshare download link above.
got 2 filename inside the zip file
1) 082701000260.RGN
2) Updater.exe

above RGN file for US version Nuvi 255W.

If want to patch Taiwan Nuvi 255W
you only need to do is Rename
082701000260.RGN ------> 093201000260.RGN.
827 is GPS ID of Nuvi 255W US
932 is GPS ID of Nuvi 255W Taiwan.

Refer to this blog, the blogger not so experience on patch firmware. !!
they use 093001000230.RGN to force loader loading the firmware into Nuvi 255W US.
Explaining on RGN for all. 093001000230sg.RGN. U still need to remove the "sg".
093001000230.RGN: 0930 is GPS ID, Can explain to u that this is the "Door" for updater.exe to recognize the firmware in order open the door to loading SG/Mal firmware into the Nuvi.
093001000230.RGN : 230 = Is the firmware version of SG/MAL.
My download link file is 082701000260.RGN
If your Nuvi 255W is US version, I might sure GPS ID is 827. So the Door has key. No need to force to open. 260: Is the latest firmware of SG/MAL firmware. No need download update firmware from [Please Register or Login to download file] , and copy what "Gupdate.gcd" into nuvi !! So troublesome !!

U just need to
-Download the Patch firmware from My download link.
-Extract 2 file into same folder.
-Switch on Nuvi-Press & Hold the Battery Icon [On right Top screen] until enter into dignostics screen.
-Connect USB into PC, Connect Mini USB into Nuvi.
-Run updater.exe
-Tick "USB"
-Click OK
-Updater.exe will prompt you the firmware older than your nuvi, Just Click "Yes" or "OK"
-Loader loading
-Wait until finished.
-Unplug mini USB.
-Completed.

Now U hv SG/MAL firmware. Check Tools> System> About-Sgmy software 2.60.
freeage offline

Re: garmin 255w firmware upgrade to jcv

Postby B1ng0 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:58 am

freeage wrote:Hi all, just wondering if anyone has the files needed to upgrade a garmin 255w to junction view? I have read about it on two sites. I will copy what I have read on here on the bottom. I tried to download the files but the links are all broken. Has anyone heard about this? is so, please comment?

If you have a western device, this can only work with HWID 0872 not with HWID 1091 (MTK chip). There are real chances of bricking to white screen even with US/EU HWID 0872 2x5W devices. I think certain board versions (can't remembr for sure, maybe S4 or S6?) will always fail badly for instance. If you are going to try this conversion then use only the original boot.bin combined with the SG firmware to make a hybrid RGN retaining the 0872 HWID. You will have trouble with some VPM voice files regardless. A safer conversion for 0872 devices is to 'truckie's nuvi' 465T which won't have voice troubles and although there's no JunctionView there is is LaneAssist which is quite helpful.

I have also been reading about the garmin 2455 lmt. it looks like the specs are pretty close to the same as the old garmin 255w. You guys think I could just get a hold of the firmware for that model and flash it on the 255 for it to work? thanks. just trying to breathe more life into my old nuvi.

"Specs" are immaterial. They are only common features, like saying you and i both have noses and ears. The important part is hardware compatibility which is predominately determined by the use of the exact same mainboards (i.e. PCB P/N match in firmware). A US/EU 2x5W with HWID 0872 has PCB P/N match with nuvi 465T and some Asian 2x5W devices so there is conversion possibility, but not with nuvi 2x5W to nuvi 2455 because of mis-matched PCBs.
B1ng0 offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby freeage » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:32 am

Thanks B1ng0.. thats great advice. I will try to read up on truckies nuvi. from what I been reading, its a big risk of bricking it for sure..
freeage offline

Postby B1ng0 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:35 am

Bricking is very unlikely for 2x5W > 465T conversion if you retain HWID of 0872 and use the original 2x5W boot.bin. I've done dozens of those conversion over the years without a single bricking and only one instance where it didn't work ("System Software Missing" message following multiple attempts, but a flash back with original fw restored it). If the conversion using hybrid firmware goes smoothly then a further full conversion to HWID 0943 is likely to be fully successful using complete 465 firmware. If you want help with this i can either make the required RGN file or give you detailed advice how to do it yourself.
B1ng0 offline

Postby freeage » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:06 pm

Hey that would be great if you can point me to the firmware files and instructions. I havent had much luck looking online for any conversion files or ways to flash the 255 w over to 465t. Thanks B1ng0
ps I have the hwid 1091 chip
freeage offline

Postby B1ng0 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:09 am

Sorry, it won't convert. You may have missed this in my initial reply:
If you have a western device, this can only work with HWID 0872 not with HWID 1091 (MTK chip).
B1ng0 offline

Postby nuaapapergmail » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:45 pm

Hello B1ngo,
Tons of thanks for your information about flashing firmware 265w to 465T.

I have Nuvi 265W from North America with mainboard listed in debug screen as "SW Ver 7.80 Nuvi 265W W P2 V2 2GB"
GarminDevice.xml reports: "006-B0827-00"

I followed the instruction from
[Please Register or Login to download file] ,

but unfortunately, the [url]gpspassion.com[/url] was dead.

Would you please send me the file needed for flashing 265w to 465T and instructions?
nuaapapergmail offline

Postby B1ng0 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:34 am

@nuaapapergmail
If you've done a conversion already to SG/MY firmware the DO NOT attempt another to 465T as there can be serious problems. Some attempts resulted in permanent white screen after going from US/EU 2x5W > SG/MY 2x5W > US/EU 465T. Unfortunately that sequence can leave 'poisoned' data in the non-vol region 41 which might hard-brick the device later on a subsequent boot cycle as nuvi 465T.

If you haven't done an SG/MY conversion then you should first do a hybrid conversion to 465T, using the original 2x5W boot.bin and retaining HWID of 0827. If that's successful then you might want to do a full conversion to HWID 0943. Everything is at your own risk, whatever you try is up to you from here. The hybrid file is here, compressed in a RAR file:
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Use a clean SD card formatted as FAT16 or FAT32 only. Do not use a large card. Extract the RAR file directly to the empty card, then insert it in device while powered off. Power device on and you should see "Loader" or similar message on the screen while it reads the card and flashes from it. Don't interfere with it at all and wait for it to finish flashing and then fully boot. When it finishes, remove the card where you will find a new file in the root named "41.bin". That's a copy of the device's non-vol region 41 as a 265W and may help in resorting it if you have later problems so store it safely.
B1ng0 offline

Postby nuaapapergmail » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:39 pm

@ B1ng0
Thank you for taking the time to help me, it really meant a lot.
It works well for my Garmin 265W, by the way, where can I download Canada or North American Maps with JCV files?

Moderator Note
New maps is a good place to look.
new-maps/garmin-city-navigator-north-america-2022-fid-9362-t22563.html
nuaapapergmail offline

Postby B1ng0 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:49 am

nuaapapergmail wrote:@ B1ng0
Thank you for taking the time to help me, it really meant a lot.
It works well for my Garmin 265W, by the way, where can I download Canada or North American Maps with JCV files?

Moderator Note
New maps is a good place to look.
new-maps/garmin-city-navigator-north-america-2022-fid-9362-t22563.html

Sorry but 465T cannot use JCV files. It's firmware is enabled to show basic Lane Assist (arrow for next turn appears in top LH corner when navigating) however, that's not in US/EU 2x5W firmware. Appart from truck features, that's the only advantage over 2x5W. SG/MY fw does show full Lane Assist JCV pictures but English TTS voices are messed up using it so practically useless for EN speakers. Read my reply to the OP in Post #2.
B1ng0 offline

Postby nuaapapergmail » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:51 am

I have converted 265W to 465T successfully, and now lane assistance works very well and is helpful,
in your post, you mentioned that
you might want to do a full conversion to HWID 0943
would you please give some advice about how to full conversion to HWID 0943?

happy holiday and new year
nuaapapergmail offline

Postby B1ng0 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:32 am

@nuaapapergmail
Sorry for slow reply, I blame the current season. Happy New Year to you too.

There should be no problems with full conversion seeing your device functions correctly with the hybrid conversion .... However, there is always a chance it will go wrong when cross-flashing so you assume all risk, admittedly small in this case, and, although unlikely, any consequences. If you wish to proceed, it's best done in preboot mode rather than via an SD flash because a full conversion will remap the device regions to suit the new HWID should the size of 465T's regions differ to those of the original 2x5W.

So, convert the 465T's GCD firmware file to RGN using safe naming then flash via Updater.exe in preboot. If you don't know what that means it's frankly best you don't attempt it however if you want further help, ask what me for what you need.
B1ng0 offline

Postby nuaapapergmail » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:51 am

Tons of appreciation. May I have the steps to be followed and related software?
nuaapapergmail offline

Postby B1ng0 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:04 am

Sure, risk assumption as before, i.e. no comeback if it hard-bricks. On that basis the required files are in 2x5W_to_465T_Full_Flash.zip linked below. Here's the procedure too:

1. Plug a 'known-good' USB cable directly into a REAR USB2 port of a Windows desktop PC (don't use a Mac or Linux computer and avoid a laptop/all-in-one if possible), don't use a USB3 port, front port or a hub to connect. Don't connect the device just yet.
2. Download this ZIP file: [Please Register or Login to download file] . Extract it to find OUT.RGN and Updater.exe.
3. Drag OUT.RGN file onto Updater.exe to open the GUI. Select the radio button (dot) next to "USB Device" and leave Updater's GUI clearly visible on the desktop screen with the mouse curser positioned over the GUI's "OK" button.
4. Ensure the device is fully OFF, not just in standby. Hold the power button to the left to force it off if necessary.
5. Hold the device in your left hand applying firm and steady pressure with your thumb to the top Left-hand corner of the screen and with your right hand plug in the USB cable to the device's microUSB socket.
6. At that same time watch the window next to "USB Device" and move your right hand quickly to the mouse. When you see the device details appear left-click the mouse (alternatively you can hit the Enter key on the PC's keyboard).
7. Keep firm steady pressure on the device screen until the flash completes which will be indicated by Updater's message that it was successful. Usually it's sufficient to hold the screen until after "Loading" or similar message appears on the device screen but continuing to hold is safer.

Keep in mind that you won't have absolutely any further functionality over the hybrid firmware and it's highly unlikely Garmin will issue any more updates for 465T being as V4.20 came out in March 3013. Good luck if you decide to do the full conversion.
B1ng0 offline

Postby nuaapapergmail » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:15 am

Please accept my deepest thanks.
I downloaded the files and followed your steps and converted my 265w to 465T, yes as you described, there is no significant difference between hybrid firmware and 465t one.

Happy new year!
nuaapapergmail offline

Next

Return to General Discussions about Garmin