Garmin 2360LT MicroSD minimum class rating...and clearing ma   

Garmin 2360LT MicroSD minimum class rating...and clearing ma

Postby shrubbles » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:41 pm

I have a 2360LT that shipped with Australia and New Zealand maps. I'd like to replace them with the latest North American maps (Canada, Alaska, Lower 49 states). As of now, with the Australia/NZ maps, there is about 1GB of free space left on the internal storage.

I'm considering removing the Australia/NZ maps but found that .img file for those maps in .System is only around 200+MB meaning with that removed I would still not have enough space. My question is, what additional files do I have to remove that are associated with the Australia Map - POI, JCV etc.?

Also, is else fails, I'll leave the Australia/NZ maps alone and instead load the North American maps onto a MicroSD card. What the highest capacity card my device can handle and what is the minimum speed/class rating? I know for TomTom's, the minimum recommended is class 6. Will a class 4 card work well enough so that system response is not too laggy?

Thanks
shrubbles offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:28 pm

If you want to replace the australian map completely, you have to replace gmapprom.img, JCV file, ASR-, G2S- , SID-folder and the D***.db in SQLite folder.

You can also delete not used voices and keyboards, the Tutorials folder and the language guide demo (LEX_PKG) in Garmin folder.

Your device can handle all sizes of µSDHC cards, but no SDHX cards. That means 32GB is max. The class is not important - you can also use class 2 cards, only the start while loading maps needs a bit longer time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby shrubbles » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:53 pm

Thanks, Pixeldealer.

I have a Class 4 MicroSD waiting and ready. In terms of my model, I don't need to copy over the GPS firmware to the card as I've read with TomTom models.

In terms of the card itself, I just create a "Maps" folder and copy over the .img file, correct? When I connect my GPS to my PC, two drives show up, H: is the GPS internal, and I:, I'm assuming is the SD card slot, correct? I make changes to drive I?

Thanks again
shrubbles offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:02 pm

I also use some class 4 µSD cards from 1 to 16GB with various devices and have no problems. Updating the firmware with Garmin WebUpdater is usefully from time to time, because Garmin often corrects some bugs and optimizes some functions long time after releasing a model.

The folder name must not be Map[color="#FF0000"]s[/color] - on SD card you must name it Garmin (for one file gmapsupp.img) or Map (for various *.img files). In your case I: seems to be the µSD card. But you'd better use an USB2 cardreader, because it's much faster than over USB cable.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about Garmin