Creating a different route than given by Garmin   

Creating a different route than given by Garmin

Postby Goldberry » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:15 pm

Previously a TomTom owner and it was reasonably easy to change my route by zooming in and touching a point then having TT navigate by that point.

Is there anyway to accomplish this in a simple way on the Garmin Nuvi 40?

For example if I set route for Naples Florida from Canada it follows the route I want until on I-10w in North Florida where it then takes me down hwy 301 to connect with -I75. I want to have it route me across I-10 to Lake City and get I-75 there.

I know I can go to Lake City then re program to Naples from on the route or just ignore the turn and the GPS should route me the way I want as I go further on towards Lake City but I wish Garmin had a simple way to do this.
Goldberry offline

Postby Confused » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:58 pm

Goldberry wrote:Previously a TomTom owner and it was reasonably easy to change my route by zooming in and touching a point then having TT navigate by that point.

Is there anyway to accomplish this in a simple way on the Garmin Nuvi 40?

For example if I set route for Naples Florida from Canada it follows the route I want until on I-10w in North Florida where it then takes me down hwy 301 to connect with -I75. I want to have it route me across I-10 to Lake City and get I-75 there.

I know I can go to Lake City then re program to Naples from on the route or just ignore the turn and the GPS should route me the way I want as I go further on towards Lake City but I wish Garmin had a simple way to do this.

I'm not familiar with a 40 but all Nuvis I'm familair with, you alter/shape routes by simpy adding via points.

After you have the initial route you do another "where to", pick your via point, and say GO.

You then get asked if you want to set it as a new destination or add it as a via point.

Entry level like the 40 units have via and route limitations.
some models allow only one via point and you can't save a route and call it up later.

Higher end models will allow saving routes, adding multiple vias, ordering and editing vias and route optimizations using your via list.
Confused offline

Postby Goldberry » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:58 pm

Thanks I saw that from reading the on line faq for the nuvi40 but was hoping there was a workaround.

With TomToms you can hack and put in a different models software (Navcore) allowing for more options on their GPS but have not seen anything that would allow me to put the core navigation software from a higher end model on the Garmin.

My TomTom one was just to slow with the limited internal ram when the more advanced Navcores were flashed to it. Wish now I had just looked for a used older model TT with higher ram. I believe the newer TT's cannot be flashed.

The Garmin sure is easier to update maps on.
Goldberry offline

Return to General Discussions about Garmin