Can not calculate a route ERROR Garmin DriveAssist 50   

Can not calculate a route ERROR Garmin DriveAssist 50

Postby iammike2 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:32 am

Hi everyone,

need your help.

I have a standard Garmin Drivesmart 50. When I try to calculate a route from (for example) my House to a city approx 300kms away, it says "can not calculate the route". I have tried to calculate the same route via Trip Planner (via add point on Map) and same error.

I have checked the Device with Garmin Express and NO updates. (Firmware is 2.7) I also reinstalled the MAPS (via Garmin Express) and same issue.

When the GPS has a signal (3m approx deviation) it shows the exact location I am at.

Any ideas what to try next? At the moment it's only in use as a Dash Cam but would of course like to use it as a GPS.

TiA
Last edited by iammike2 on Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
iammike2 offline

Re: Can not calculate a route ERROR Garmin DriveSmart 50

Postby Pilou37 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:15 am

Hi,

May be a reset of the device can help..
Hold the power key for 12 seconds.
Pilou37 offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby iammike2 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:24 am

Thx. I have already tried that and NO help.

But the plot thickens.

I calculated a route from my House to a city approx 300kms and this is the result.

The location of the other city is in the same country (TH) as the MAP and my Home

iammike2 offline

Postby GarmanNuvi » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:00 pm

iammike2 wrote:At the moment it's only in use as a Dash Cam but would of course like to use it as a GPS.

Please confirm you have a DriveAssist 50 APAC HWID 2596 as the DriveSmart does not have a dash camera
<Model>
<PartNumber>006-B2596-00</PartNumber>
<SoftwareVersion>270</SoftwareVersion>
<Description>Garmin DriveAssist 50</Description>
</Model>
iammike2 wrote:I calculated a route from my House to a city approx 300kms and this is the result.

I have checked the Device with Garmin Express and NO updates. (Firmware is 2.7) I also reinstalled the MAPS (via Garmin Express) and same issue

If you used Garmin Express to update your Lifetime free Thailand maps ,then it sounds like a call to Globetech /Garmin Thailand is what you need to do.
Before you post, "The archive is corrupt or damaged"
Please make sure your archive software is up to date or just Use the latest [Please Register or Login to download file]
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby iammike2 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:11 am

GarmanNuvi wrote:Please confirm you have a DriveAssist 50 APAC HWID 2596 as the DriveSmart does not have a dash camera
<Model>
<PartNumber>006-B2596-00</PartNumber>
<SoftwareVersion>270</SoftwareVersion>
<Description>Garmin DriveAssist 50</Description>
</Model>

Yes that is the ONE! My Bad that I called it a DriveSmart

GarmanNuvi wrote:If you used Garmin Express to update the Thailand maps ,then it sounds like a call to Globetech /Garmin Thailand is what yopu need to do.

Will do. Thx for the help, and will report back.

Edit: I don't have the LTM maps, that is also a question I will ask them as my MAP is now the 2019.40.
iammike2 offline

Postby iammike2 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:58 am

There is definitely SOMETHING very weird. I went into the Debug Menu and did a clear user data.

After I did that, the device started with me having to re-enter locale etc, but low and behold, OLD waypoints were still in the device. So my guess is some kind of file corruption going on.

I already send an email to Garmin

Update:

Garmin asked for the Starting Point coordinates and the End Point ones and are investigating.

IMHO it's not a problem with the MAP, but of corruption of one of the files, but that is just guessing

Update2:

Email back from Garmin

Thank you for contacting Garmin Thailand through email

As we have checked your starting point and ending point on our device Drive 51, we found that the route can work as normal. However, our technical team suggest to Reset Default Setting the device.

Before Reset Default Setting please follow the basic instructions below.

Connect your Garmin device with PC.
Select Garmin folder and copy GPX folder to desktop.
Rename the current file to current1.gpx at the desktop.
Then Reset Default Setting on your Drive 50
After Reset Default Setting connect your Garmin device with PC again.
And copy the current1.gpx back to GPX file in the Garmin folder

The device DriveAssist 50 is out of service at this moment. Therefore, we do not have any components of the device for replacement and the device is not able to be updated anymore.

Tried, but same issue. so not much help. Oke going to use the GPS as a DashCam only and start using my phone which I personally don't like as making the routes with Basecamp is much more fun and easier.
Last edited by GarmanNuvi on Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: combined posts
iammike2 offline

Postby iammike2 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:39 am

Sorry to be a nuisance

does anyone knows which files are safe to delete from the GPS.

When the GPS restarts the time and date is always the same 1:20am and the location on the MAP is our OLD house (where we haven't been in ages)

Does anyone know where this is stored.

edit1:

If I delete the \Gpx\Current.gpx while connected to the PC, and I restart the GPS, reconnect to the PC again the SAME GPX is back again (same size, same date etc etc)

Also if I delete \.System\Diag\Shutdowns\*.html after a restart they are back again. Weird this. It's like a copy of FS (File System) is replaced every time on restart.

edit2:

I just checked something. When I start the GPS, it pinpoints the location to our OLD house (without a GPS fix). When I create a trip (in trip planner) with POI's very close by the location, and create the route, it shows the route being somewhere near the Maledives (I am in SE - Asia). Could it be that the BASEMAP is corrupt? Where can I get a "fresh" basemap"?
iammike2 offline

Re: Can not calculate a route ERROR Garmin DriveAssist 50

Postby iammike2 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:48 pm

Update:

I think I found the issue.

I did a Chkdsk f: /R and it gave 2 files error

\Voice\logs\vpm_log_all.log first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
\GPX\Current.gpx first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.

After Chkdsk was finished (took approx 10 mins) I deleted \GPX\Current.gpx. But instead that the file was removed the filesize decreased to 0 Bytes.

Did a Chkdsk /R again and low and behold \GPX\Current.gpx was back, original file size and original file date.

My question for you guys.

Can I make a backup of the whole "SYS drive", then format the SYS Drive (as FAT32) and copy the original files back?

Will that work?
iammike2 offline

Return to General Discussions about Garmin