Automotive maps update and garminDevice.xml read   

Automotive maps update and garminDevice.xml read

Postby navyaj » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:06 pm

Hey, so I was trying to decode what kind of files should I update, what kind of them are supported on my device. All I know is that it is Garmin for automotive.
What I am struggling with is:
What kind of JCV files are supported, becuase I installed some "random" ones and can't tell that they are working.
What should be gmapprom, and gmapsupp?
Can I tell somehow what kind of Garmin navi model is on board (garmin site is telling me that it cannot find model via deviceId)?
Is "Description" for model is hard-coded? Because I wanted to change is but after I launch navi it automatically overwrites it.
Here is whole GarminDevice.xml, and since id shouldn't be shared I will cover it, but GarmanNuvi has it already.
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
navyaj offline

Re: Automotive maps update and garminDevice.xml read

Postby GarmanNuvi » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:28 pm

navyaj wrote: Via PM
Hey, I have navi in Honda Goldwing 2012, and the only thing I know it is a Garmin one. Last year I successfuly updated navi device with maps, but I guess I was just lucky to do this. I wanted to be sure what should and what should I not download. At the moment I am using Javawa to install maps, but I have no idea if I should use NT or NTU maps. Can you please help me finding some kind of model of this navi? I read somewhere that by device id I can find model but on garmin site it says that this number is a incorrect one. Also I have few following questions if you don't mind.

Devices from North America (NAVI United States) are not designed to use Unicode Characters provided by the later NTU maps currently used for Europe.
The garmindevice.xml is a file that stores what is on your device ,you can see on yours a few different JCV, so it's hard to tell which is the original to determine what type you need. But the Europe version I have uses the full screen JCV.

SVG Junction View
Pictures size: 480x270

D8958030A.jcv West
D3084300A.jcv East
new-maps/city-navigator-europe-2024-fid-9588-t23353.html#p190730
Before you post, "The archive is corrupt or damaged"
Please make sure your archive software is up to date or just Use the latest [Please Register or Login to download file]
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Re: Automotive maps update and garminDevice.xml read

Postby navyaj » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:48 pm

So I did a full backup of card, and there is only one JCV
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Do when you have this *.jcv files, as I can see, file on mine *.xml and on yours provided are different. In this case should I
1. Copy your straight into mine jcv folder?
2. Should I remove old ones?
3. Should I rename your to match mine in xml or should I change in mine xml to match yours?

Following question would be:
4. Is there a difference which map is gmapprom and which is gmapsupp? For example if I have "Central and Eastern" and "Western", can gmapprom should be Central and supp should be Western, or I do no need to care about this?
5. Is "Description" for model is hard-coded? Because I wanted to change is but after I launch navi it automatically overwrites it.
navyaj offline

Return to General Discussions about Garmin