Which GPS to get? Garmin vs TomTom   

Here you post everything that is not related to other forum areas.
stuff like how you like this forum for example ;)

Which GPS to get? Garmin vs TomTom

Postby mistermojorizin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:40 am

I understand these are the top 2 brands.

I don't need a lot of extra features and such, so here's what's important to me (i'm in US)
1) Basic GPS operation (point A to point B, accuracy, points of interest, being able to do a detour, displaying the estimated time of arrival, displaying all the street names that you're passing along the way and not just some, how easy it is to enter an address) EDIT: also it has to tell u which side of the street your destination is on, my $30 gps does that so anything that doesn't that costs any more than that is not for me
2) traffic (is it only freeway traffic or street too? can it change the route automatically based on new traffic info? any other questions i should be asking (i've never had gps with traffic))
3) how easy is it to update maps etc through file sharing (tom tom looks more complicated, but the instructions seem more clear whereas the garmin instructions aren't written as well - i could be wrong, how easy it is, how quick it is
4) any other questions i should be asking?

thanks
mistermojorizin offline

Postby Downunder35m » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:42 am

You could also go for a generic CE based GPS and put the software of your liking on it.
Not 100% sure about Garmin but TT only shows you the correct side of the road for your destination in city areas, I noticed here in the "bush" most roads have the house numbers but not the side of the roads for the destination.
I gues that highly depnds on the type of road though : as far as I've paid attention to it I would say if the road has only one lane that is not seperated by a white line (like most in remote areas) you only get the address but not the side of the road.
Might have something to do with the data that is used by the map provider too.
The traffic (live) depends on the reports that are sent out - almost like the stuff you hear on the radio.
TT offers "IQ Routes" too which is based on the data collected by TT users and uses different route calculations depnding on the time you travel.
Updating maps is no problem waith any system eccept Navman and even if it might look complicated once you've done it sucessfull you will see that is pretty straight forward.

A CE based GPS with 128mb Ram and a good CPU allows you to use almost any GPS software that is on the market and the update process is basically the same for the maps.
Plus if you like extras like games, videos or even digital TV you might want to check out some devices like the Mio 505 with TV for example or some device from Chinavision.
I would say it really depend on your budget and what you expect to do with a GPS if you don't need it for navigation (kids watching a movie on the way to the beach ;) .
Take you time and check the prices and features if you can in a good shop for more detailed info on a device try a Google search for the technical details and maybe user reviews.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby mistermojorizin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:49 am

thanks for info

i do a ton of research but my problem is my last gps just crapped out and i am going on a 300 mile trip in a week. so i need to order something asap. i will take a look at the mio.

right now, my lead contender is 540T xxl from tom tom
mistermojorizin offline

Postby Downunder35m » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:50 am

Not a bad choice as it offers all harware features you might need.
But are you sure it is a 540 XXL ? As far as I know there is the XXL and than there is the older Go540.
Forum rules

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby mistermojorizin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:59 am

what do you think? its a little pricey, $120, seems like if i hustled in December i coulda had it for about $30-40 less...but i need to get something now
mistermojorizin offline

Postby Downunder35m » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:11 pm

Keep in mind that you don't get Voice control or a FM transmitter with this device same for BT hands free.
If you can get your hands on a Go720 or Go730 for a good price you might pay less and get more hardware features.
When it comes to software features you can activate almost everything by installing a different Navcore, but you can emulate hardware that is not existing - so if you don't need voice control or a Fm transmitter it should be fine.
Make sure you really get the lifetime map offer though.
Forum rules

Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby mistermojorizin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:32 pm

those features arent that important to me. i have bluetooth in my car already and i have and ipod hookup so i don't need the fm transmitter. and i find manual control to be much quicker and reliable than voice control
mistermojorizin offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:55 pm

Downunder35m wrote:Not a bad choice as it offers all harware features you might need.
But are you sure it is a 540 XXL ? As far as I know there is the XXL and than there is the older Go540.

The last entry on your Tomtom model comparison chart is XXL 540s.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby tendriver » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:19 pm

mistermojorizin wrote:I understand these are the top 2 brands.

I don't need a lot of extra features and such, so here's what's important to me (i'm in US)
1) Basic GPS operation (point A to point B, accuracy, points of interest, being able to do a detour, displaying the estimated time of arrival, displaying all the street names that you're passing along the way and not just some, how easy it is to enter an address) EDIT: also it has to tell u which side of the street your destination is on, my $30 gps does that so anything that doesn't that costs any more than that is not for me
2) traffic (is it only freeway traffic or street too? can it change the route automatically based on new traffic info? any other questions i should be asking (i've never had gps with traffic))
3) how easy is it to update maps etc through file sharing (tom tom looks more complicated, but the instructions seem more clear whereas the garmin instructions aren't written as well - i could be wrong, how easy it is, how quick it is
4) any other questions i should be asking?

thanks

1. All of these are Navcore functions, not device functions. I've not noticed TT telling which side of the street your destination is on.
2. Traffic in the US is very sparse. Read WORTHLESS.
3. It's very easy. You activate it in TT Home, Tools. When you connect your unit, TT Home downloads & installs all available MapShare updates.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby mistermojorizin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:42 pm

tendriver wrote:1. All of these are Navcore functions, not device functions. I've not noticed TT telling which side of the street your destination is on.
2. Traffic in the US is very sparse. Read WORTHLESS.
3. It's very easy. You activate it in TT Home, Tools. When you connect your unit, TT Home downloads & installs all available MapShare updates.

Thanks very much for your help. I would appreciate some more clarification:

1 - i thought only TT uses Navcore; my question was which is better at these, Garmin or TT?
2 - Is it the same for both, Garmin and TT? Google traffic for example is excellent in the US - you get traffic on surface streets (at least in my major city) and you can see historical traffic at a date and time in addition to live traffic.
3 - Again i'm curious about the comparison between Garmin and TT. I believe you answer with regard to TT. But even with regard to TT, I've heard you have to free up memory first, before the maps will fit - and that is through legitimate means. My question was about updating through "filesharing" means, which then, I believe, has even further steps of patching and cracking different software elements.
4 - ? since you implied in 1 that my questions were not on point - asking about Navcore not about device functions - please suggest which questions I should be asking. Sometimes this is the most difficult task when learning about a new area where my knowledge is lacking.
mistermojorizin offline

Postby mistermojorizin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:48 pm

Downunder35m wrote:Make sure you really get the lifetime map offer though.

I thought I don't need the lifetime map, because all the maps are available for free on this site through filesharing?

I thought the one thing i needed to get was lifetime traffic cause that's a hardware thing?
mistermojorizin offline

Postby nabi » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:26 pm

If the original question is which software is the best, then this is a good read:
http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?932-Xtyler92-s-opinion-about-what-GPS-Software-is-the-best

If the question is about hardware, then there is more then Garmin or TomTom ;)
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby mistermojorizin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:38 pm

nabi wrote:If the original question is which software is the best, then this is a good read:
http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?932-Xtyler92-s-opinion-about-what-GPS-Software-is-the-best

If the question is about hardware, then there is more then Garmin or TomTom ;)

the question is which to buy given my 4 criteria points. my research showed that garmin and tomtom are the best, if i'm wrong, let me know how and why, thanks
mistermojorizin offline

Postby mistermojorizin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:47 pm

i went to the local costco, and they have an unlimited return policy on gps. They have the garmin 265wt for $110, the 540xxl for $130 and the magellan roadmate 2036-mu for $80. I read some good reviews about the 2036, specifically that traffic is actually useful on it. And the price seems a lot closer to my budget. Can anyone tell me anything about it? My main concern is getting copies of maps on to it through filesharing...i'm thinking its not possible. Also, if not the 2036, any feedback on the 265wt or the 540?
mistermojorizin offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:59 pm

mistermojorizin wrote:the question is which to buy given my 4 criteria points. my research showed that garmin and tomtom are the best, if i'm wrong, let me know how and why, thanks

Let's wrap this discussion up. Based on your 2nd point, TT is eliminated. Buy a Garmin.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Next

Return to Chit-Chat