DC++   

Here you post everything that is not related to other forum areas.
stuff like how you like this forum for example ;)

DC++

Postby 1888 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:23 pm

[Please Register or Login to download file]

Would this not work? No more uploads or downloads. All members have DC++ software and a minimum share of say 1GB (or more) I was in one of these before for music and it worked well. If a member does not have the required amount to share then he cant connect. Yes he may fill up his share with music but admin can scan this and give warning or whatever.
1888 offline

User avatar Senior Member

Re: DC++

Postby chas521 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:19 pm

Couple of things come to mind. Since most of our uploads are considered black or gray, can't the site simply kill the links? What happens to the member who comes here only to download something and not upload anything? When someone uploads something, how do they do it?
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby 1888 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:30 pm

The way I understand it chas is everyone downloads the software. You cant get into the share unless you have the set amount to share.

When I was using it we were sharing software and music even films with no one taking things down due to Black, Grey, Hooky or however you want to call it. If you install it you can join other hubs as long as you meet there minimum share level and its not private. Needs more reading, looking into as I just remembered about it today and was wondering if its still used.

1888 offline

Postby chas521 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:41 pm

So if I understand you correctly, a person cannot download anything unless they have the same amount to upload something - which may not be relevant to GPS. See my point?
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby katastrofe » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:49 pm

1. It looks to me it's similar to torrents, or isn't it quite the same?
2. If so, and even if not so, will the GPS or map or ... maker not target this site for distributing? This is IMHO not the same as upload/download linking as it is now, but never the less is a likewise situation as the PirateBay. And we all know how and where that went.
3. But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
katastrofe offline

Premium Member

Postby 1888 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:15 pm

Ach it does need a server but no files are stored there as its P2P sharing. Server only connects

The Direct Connect (DC) network is a decentralized network, made up of individual servers (hubs) that users join to share files. Users can search for files and download them from other users connected to the same hub. A hub only helps to find files and connect users; it does not store any files. File transfers are done directly between clients, in peer-to-peer fashion.

@katastrofe

Im not 100% sure how the torrents work not this but what I did know the hub I was in was private and only had 300 odd members. The share limit can be set to zero or ++GB. The sharing was similar to torrents in the way you are relying on people with your item being online but also like torrents when they are back on then your download starts again. Hell I almost leave my laptop on 24/7. Its been like that for the past three years. Its just another thought rather than all the dead links. Searching for what you want would be a lot easier as well. Still if its crap then so be it but am away to look for the hub I was in years ago when I remember its name and my log in name :046:
1888 offline

Postby katastrofe » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:02 pm

You also may consider two things:
1. There is need of a server, so when the authorities or whoever hacks/blocks the server, all is down. Or not? And the juridical responsibility falls to the forum owner.
2. a private peer2peer hub is something else than a public forum.

Can a forum team member join in this discussion? :024:
katastrofe offline

Premium Member

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:09 pm

It looks a bit like lime/frostwire to me, but absolutely useless for me as I no longer run windows.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to Chit-Chat