Motor gps   

Here you post everything that is not related to other forum areas.
stuff like how you like this forum for example ;)

Motor gps

Postby IBIS » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:04 pm

iHi all, just aquired a chinese sat nav/GPS device. No brand name other than MOTOR GPS.It says on the box "supports most maps based on winCE When I select the sat nav option it shows Cannot execute:\SDMMC\InstalTomTomHOME.exe Upon googleing this site it would apeer that this is a map exchange site. But as the device is without any maps alas I have nothing to exchange. The question Im asking is A. can I aquire the info needed to set up and get maps without subscribing to TomTom. B. Can any body help with this. Iam not very techi. Sorry to sound cheap, Perhaps I should have visited Halfords instead. But having purchased already Im stuck. Thanks.
IBIS offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:04 am

Your device most likely wasn't supplied with navigation software installed, also if it's wince 6 based tomtom won't work, but there are alternatives like iGO 8/primo.

I would imagine in the device menu there is a navigation path setup somewhere...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Motor gps

Postby IBIS » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:13 pm

Thanks Fatboy, will keep you informed. How ever as I said I am Techno numptie, Do you know of any service centre I could perhaps post the device to to get this done if I fail ?:doh:
IBIS offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:55 pm

It's not that hard to do, first thing is to find out some specifications so we know what software to suggest.

Do you have a link to a seller page?
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Motor gps

Postby IBIS » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:16 pm

Hi again, Im afriad I dont have a seller page. I will try to give you as much specification as possible. It says in the user manual operating system is WINCE NET 5.0 Display resolution is240*320 GPS signal is COM 1 /9600 Band rate. It also says in the manual under "Tool box" User can download exe fileof wince to /sdmmc/game/.The downloadfile will display in the tool box. When I click the navigation option the screen fills with the following pictures of folders. EPHEM,CONTACTS,.Trashes,ZIP,VOICES,m-andRepul,TomTom-Cfg,HOME Inst,STATDATA,Script,RASTER then a green arrow which moves you to a new page.This again has pictures of folders labled as follows. microbrouser,LOGGING,LICENCES.ITN,Video,PICTURE,MUSIC,iGO8,backup.The last picture is of a group of "cogs" named alTomTomHC. Thats about all I know.:think:
IBIS offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:18 pm

When I click the navigation option the screen fills with the following pictures of folders. EPHEM,CONTACTS,.Trashes,ZIP,VOICES,m-andRepul,TomTom-Cfg,HOME Inst,STATDATA,Script,RASTER

That sounds like the files for Tomtom Navigator, maybe in an explorer window..?

WINCE NET 5.0 Display resolution is240*320 GPS signal is COM 1 /9600 Band rate

WinCE 5 would suggest an older device, Some good news is that Tomtom may be in with a chance of working, or if you want more features iGO8, Primo may be a bit much.

For ease of installation iGO8 is best, When the device is started what options are there..?
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby bazzle » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:41 pm

That reference to igo8 in the labels leads me to think its already loaded?

Bazzle
bazzle offline

User avatar Senior Member

Motor gps

Postby IBIS » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:50 pm

Hi Fatboy fun, Thankyou for your help.. When I turn on the device it shows a toolbar athe top which shows a globe in the left hand corner and a battery power level on the right. In the middle of the screen is a circle with symbols around the edge depicting movies, music,adresses,a car This button when pressed says cannot execute\SDMMC\InstalTomTomHOME.exe the last picture is the toolbox. In the bottom left it says GPS on the bottom right is says System. when this is pressed it shows options Nav option, volume, backlight,calibration (it comes with a stylus) language and about ie information. When I press the info button it shows....... Hardware platform CPU 400MHz OS Version 1.0.7 Serial No00000000000000000000000RT Software Version. RT000000000000000201004101031v5( not quite sure I counted the Zeros correctly its a bit small. Hope this helps.
IBIS offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:12 pm

bazzle wrote:That reference to igo8 in the labels leads me to think its already loaded?

I didn't see that, good spot!

cannot execute\SDMMC\InstalTomTomHOME.exe

InstalTomTomHOME.exe is the file responsible for loading Tomtom Home on a PC, this is from Navigator 6 days, It won't run on WinCE.

Try tapping the nav option button, does it allow you to change navigation path?
If so look for Tomtom Navigator.exe, If this is Navigator 6 then it is going to be massively out of date...
But if you can do this then we can help you do something about that.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Motor gps

Postby IBIS » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:58 pm

When I open the Nav option it goes straight to the first page of folders, I then went to the second page of folders and tapped the folder marked iGO8. This then the showed another page of folders, custom,save,LICENCE,DEFALTS,CONTENT, and then the pictures of the "cogs" which now read igo8 but on the previous page read alTomTomHC when I tapthis it then returns to the menu page:doh:
IBIS offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:09 pm

Now what happens when you tap the main navigation button (the car)?
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby IBIS » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:20 pm

A new page it says map initialsation error " map files cannot be found" and two boxes one marked ok the other a tick
IBIS offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:27 pm

Now we're getting somewhere... (Believe it or not!)

It looks like the seller/previous owner loaded it with junk.

Does the unit have an SD card slot, and do you have a spare 1 or 2GB SD card handy?

Really all you need to do now is put some software + maps on an SD card and use the nav option button to point to it...
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby IBIS » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:35 pm

It apeers not, would it be under the cover where the battery is? there is no slot on the outside. Or is that a stupid question. I did say im a numpty:)
IBIS offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:53 pm

In that case, is there a USB port?

Connect it with a suitable cable to your PC, Note you may need a programme called Activesync (XP and below,) or Windows Mobile Device Centre (Vista and above) to view it's contents. These are Microsoft free downloads.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Next

Return to Chit-Chat