Hurricane Sandy   

Here you post everything that is not related to other forum areas.
stuff like how you like this forum for example ;)

Hurricane Sandy

Postby hogan7777 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:21 am

I am sure a few guys on here who have helped me in the past have a NY address. In their avatar. If so I hope that you have survived the storm and are all safe.
hogan7777 offline

User avatar Senior Member

Postby nabi » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:35 pm

Chas521 and Popeye are two team members I know (think) live in NY.

Popeye was here earlier today, so he is okay. Chas521 however is still missing. I am, sorry, WE ARE hoping the best.
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby Downunder35m » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:09 pm

I have quite a few clips and pictures on the news here and judging by that, Sandy was a real bitch.
Since the warnings came early and most intelligent people decided to seek refuge in safe areas (if they could that is) I hope the personal losses won't be too big.
But the destruction is far worse than anyone had imagined.
Many areas are still without power, gas or water and will remain so till at least early next week, so if our guys are in those areas, we have to wait it out until we hear what happend.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:37 pm

hogan7777 wrote:If so I hope that you have survived the storm and are all safe.

Thank you for caring!!!!

nabi wrote:1. Chas521 and Popeye are two team members I know (think) live in NY.
2. Chas521 however is still missing. I am, sorry, WE ARE hoping the best.

1. You are correct.
2. Chas is on Long Island.

Downunder35m wrote:Many areas are still without power, gas or water and will remain so till at least early next week,

Early next week is very optimistic. Because of the massive damage to such a densely populated area, it will be closer to a month or more.

Within the next few days, highways leading into that area will be loaded with utility trucks from all over the US, pouring in to make a consolidated effort to restore utilities ASAP!!! They will work 24/7.

Right behind them will be volunteer Disaster Relief Teams, from all over the country, to take care of the more personal needs of the affected area residents.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Downunder35m » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:24 pm

That makes you realise that the news only give you filtered information here :(
Forum rules

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby chas521 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Thanks everyone. I just saw this thread. I'm OK but the NY death toll as of today is somewhere about 50 - unfortunately still climbing.

Actually, everything finally came back today for me - about 4:30 PM my time. Sorry I couldn't answer you sooner but I didn't have access to much of anything. My electricity was out, my water was turned off, no TV, internet or telephone. Had to use only my cell phone to communicate. Thank goodness my charger worked in the car or it would have been much worse. About 90% of Long Island lost all. It still is about 50%. Some had it much worse than me. My friend who lives in Island Park on the water lost his two cars, his house is completely flooded. Thank goodness, he's OK though.

Winds were 90 mph. Not too much rain for me but southern New Jersey got something like 15 inches. Trees toppled here on the power lines. You can't believe the mess. It was the storm surge that caused the most damage. I hear it was 11 feet above high tide! We were using only candles and flashlights. To top it off, it was BORING. By 9 PM you wanted to go to sleep because there was nothing to do. There are long lines at the gas stations because only a few of them can generate gasoline through the pumps.

From bad to worse, the idiot girl who lives above me left her water taps open when my building turned off the water and - you guessed it - when the water came back on, she flooded out my bathroom. The walls are starting to show bubbles now because of the wet sheetrock and I just spent over $4000 dollars last year renovating it. I put in a claim to my insurance company but I told them that it doesn't seem too bad right now but I also asked them if I could re-open the same claim in a couple of months if it got worse. They said sure.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby nabi » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:35 pm

Welcome back, buddy !

:grouphug:
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby hogan7777 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:44 pm

Good news glad you are ok.
hogan7777 offline

User avatar Senior Member

Postby Downunder35m » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:52 pm

Indeed, still alive and kicking - good to see!
The hardest part will be to clean everything up and prevent problems by the contaminated soil and water.
It does not matter how much you loose in such an event - as long as you and your loved ones are ok.
Forum rules

Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:31 pm

chas521 wrote:There are long lines at the gas stations because only a few of them can generate gasoline through the pumps.

1 of the news networks was at a gasoline/petrol station, where the line of cars was 3 MILES LONG.

Glad to hear that you are OK. Ya got a TEE TIME for in the morning????
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby chas521 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:18 pm

tendriver wrote:1 of the news networks was at a gasoline/petrol station, where the line of cars was 3 MILES LONG.

Glad to hear that you are OK. Ya got a TEE TIME for in the morning????

I still have over 1/2 tank left but I'm kinda afraid to drive much anywhere because the lines are ridiculous. Little by little though it's getting back to normal. In my area it should be more normal by Monday but some areas not for weeks. The worst part of driving was that all the traffic lights were out so you REALLY had to pay attention to the cross traffic. Most folks were fine and went slowly but there's ALWAYS the jerk in the big black SUV that just barrels through. I saw some horrendous accidents in my travels. Incidentally, the golf season is over for me and I hung my clubs up for the Winter. However I will be going to Florida in February so my clubs will be traveling with me.

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby nabi » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:50 pm

Golf clubs, not worth much as oars, right ? ;)
How is the weather now?
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby chas521 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:53 pm

nabi wrote:Golf clubs, not worth much as oars, right ? ;)
How is the weather now?

It's been sunny for the last couple of days. Thank goodness because it gave the repair crews a good chance to start fixing things up.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby tendriver » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:13 pm

nabi wrote:How is the weather now?

There is a cold front moving into the Northeast that could cause additional big problems for those without utilities.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby chas521 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:30 pm

tendriver wrote:There is a cold front moving into the Northeast that could cause additional big problems for those without utilities.

And how RIGHT you are. As for me I got everything back now. The reason that I got it back pretty fast is because I am on the same electrical line as a major hospital nearby so that gave us a priority of sorts. Cold? The other night before we had anything, it was so cold that I slept with socks on under a down comforter and I was still freezing. My heart goes out to the other folks without. Also people are running out of fuel for their private generators if they have one. It really sucks worse for some.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Next

Return to Chit-Chat