How make sure to buy the right Android tablet   

Here you post everything that is not related to other forum areas.
stuff like how you like this forum for example ;)

How make sure to buy the right Android tablet

Postby Downunder35m » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:34 pm

Android is the OS of the future when it comes to smartphones and tablets and since I'm active in the GPS sector and in the need for an Android pad to test programs I thought I share my little knowledge:
If you check the prices for a good GPS and the corresponding maps you'll notice that it can be quite costly, if you do the right thing and go the legal way.
But checking the Android markets you can find Nautical charts for around 50$, same for street navigation - and you have a lot to choose from!
So it does make sense to say: I use my phone or buy a good tablet and save a lot of money in the long run.
The big drawback it the huge number of avialbale phones and tablets.
You see things like : Full HD, UMTS, WIFI, Bluetooth, MP4 and so on.
Ok, most will say it is pretty clear what it means, but that is where you can go wrong ;)
Full HD often only means you can watch Full HD movies using the HDMI output, but not that the screen has a real HD resolution.
Same for UMTS, 3G, WIFI - quite often it only means that these features are supported but that you need a USB stick for it.
Problem often is to find a stick that is compatible with the system you are running.
You need to check the specification of the tab to make sure features you need are in fact build in and you won't need extra USB sticks for it.
For some models this is also true for the GPS features, so make sure the GPS receiver is inside and not an extra you need to buy!

So much for the commercial side, now to some hardware facts:
Screen resolution - don't be fooled by HD slogans and always check the resolution of the display
Memory - 512mb is too low for modern standards and the features of Android, you should get something with at least 1GB of RAM
SD/TF support - most tabs support up to 32GB,w hich is sufficient, don't buy anything that does not state the supported SD sizes or only supports up to 8GB
UMTS, 2-4G, WIFI and other "extras" - if you need your tab on the road only for navigation WIFI is enough
Considering that in most of road areas you won't have any network coverage you have to decide for yourself if you need SIM support and what carrier you choose.
Be aware that without SIM support online mapping is not possible!
You have to make sure that you have full maps installed;)

Android versions and how to avoid buying crap:
Crap - what is crap when it comes to an Android pad?
I've been watching the market for over two years now, including some fights (that I won) with Ebay to spot fakes and rip off's.
If you know what you need and you know your budget you basically have three options as follows:
1: Buy something with a reputable name like Samsung
Reason is simple - the modding communit will always find ways to give you the latest Android version if there is no support from the manufactorer.
Also the general support and reliablity is better.
Even a second hand Galaxy with a current Android version will perfom better than a 300$ rip-off from ebay running on Android 2.x ;)
2: Do your homework and go for lesser known names that provide the last Android versions.
At this time they all should run on Jellybean.
3: Try you luck and buy something that is cheap and has nice slogans in the ads ;)

Ok, jokes aside, how do you spot a fake pad or make sure the one you see is no good?
Actually quite simple.
First is the Android version - anything below 4.1 is not up to scratch and only worth buying if the seller can supply and install the lastest Android version.
Most likely you will also notice that old Androids run on old hardware!
Anything below 1GB of Ram and with a single CPU bleow 1GHz is not worth buying!
Second, the hardware..
Apart from the above you need to make sure the seller is not fooling you!!
To avoid any confusion I will now post some Ebay links containing utter crap disguised to be worth buying.
Check the listings carefully and further down I will explain a few things.
Links might change or go offline in a fw days and are only an example!
[Please Register or Login to download file]
[Please Register or Login to download file] - a nice exception from the real bad stuff
Except for Link 5 all the pads have one thing in common:
They are cheap copies of Ibex tablets and some even use the same names!
If it goes by the name: Flytouch, Superpad, Touchpad, Pad10, Tab10, Wopad and similar, chances are you will be be very disappointed.
As you can see in the links the prices are qite high and you get outdated Android system running on crappy hardware - but you still pay the same money as if you were buying a proper device!!
With the support of some android forums we were able to ban most of these crooks from Ebay but as you can see it is an endless battle.
An original Flytouch comes with an Ibex packing and you will see this packing in the listing too - no pic of the packing or you only see Flytouch/superpad and so: FAKE!!
You can also see quite clearly that RAM and CPU power are below the specs needed for the promised high screen resolutions.
Ask yourself how you can watch a HD movie with only 512mb of Ram and a single CPU that has no support for rendering Hi-Def content? ;)
There are many good pads out there but you need to do your homework!
If in doubt type the model name and "firmware"/"custom rom" into Google. You might find websites that offer updates or modified firmwares, if so the tab can be good choice if the hardware is strong enough.
Again: Nothing below 1.5GHz for the CPU and below 1GB of Ram should be considered if you want to use your pad with joy.
Things like the GPS should be built in and not an add on.
WIFI or Sim cards can be used with USB sticks if you don't need these features on a daily base.
I personally neither need a SIM in my tablet nor do I need a TV receiver in it... For the WIFI I have several sticks at hand to use the pad for surfing or download some games directly onto the pad.
You can save quite bit of money on a pad without a SIM and WIFI - but it must support them using a USB stick!
The stick is only a few bucks while the WIFI/SIM versions of the same pad are often over 50$ more expensive.
Onle last thing that often goes completely unnoticed is the touch system used for the pad:
A resistive touchscreen is the same like the one on your standard GPS - only a single touch will be recognised!
A capacitve touchscreen in the mos basic form will support the use of two fingers, e.g. to zoom into a picture.
Mutitouch capacitive touchscreens will support 5 or more inputs at the same time.
You want the last of the three for your new pad!
Why do you need multitouch at all you might ask?
One really good reson would be the fact that current and future versions of Android are build for multitouch - so not multitouch and you know you can get the lates Android version and most likely will consider byuing a new pad.
Another reason would be the fact that most good programs use at least the simple form of multitouch to zoom and expand screen content.
Last but not least games and new software - they all want to make use of the most features meaning that you might miss out if your pad does not support it!

You might have noticed that I did not mention G-sensors.
The reason is simple enough: if the pad does not have them you don't want the pad! Android uses the sensors to flip the screen and even some GPS softwares make use of the them for tracking purposes.
Keeping in mind that will have no problem finding a fake pad or some outdated crap for over 500$ you should be aware that pads with Quad core processors and 3D graphics can be fetched for under 300$.
If you do your homework and use the above knowledge you can spot and avoid tablets and phones that might look good but won't satisfy in the long run.
It is best to spend some time on research than to spend 200 or more dollar on a product that you have to replace anyway ;)
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Return to Chit-Chat