Assistance with purchasing the correct type of GPS receiver.   

Here you post everything that is not related to other forum areas.
stuff like how you like this forum for example ;)

Assistance with purchasing the correct type of GPS receiver.

Postby Jason_Azzopardi » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:01 pm

I am looking to purchase a GPS receiver for the outback to be mounted in my vehicle, (Windscreen mount). Would like to know what users/members to this site recommend? Would like something that is able to be upgraded with maps that I can download from this site. Something that is user friendly, with plenty of detail with turn by turn navigation for general city use as well. Looking to have a unit that is rugged, able to be run off the vehicles 12 volt system and the ability to charge on 240 volt as well if possible.

Anxiously await any replies.

Regards
Jason Azzopardi :scratch_one-s_head_
Jason_Azzopardi offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:55 pm

Do you have any specific GPS software in mind? as this is an important factor in what device is suitable.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Jason_Azzopardi » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:44 pm

Fatboyfun wrote:Do you have any specific GPS software in mind? as this is an important factor in what device is suitable.

I reside in Australia, love the outdoors. New to gps receivers and really don't know what units or software would be good. Would like to use topo maps, tracks for the bush with camp sites. And then if possible good turn by turn road maps for every day use. I have a garmin Oregon 400t in my car at the moment but the screens a little hard to see at times.

Regards Jason.
Jason_Azzopardi offline

Postby Downunder35m » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:30 am

If you need assitance you can contact me by PM ;)
I use ttmaps on my Tomtom and OziExplorer on the China-brick.
If you need maps, check here : :link:
One thing to keep in mind is the size and mount of the GPS.
I rolled my car and the 7" China-brick stayed securely on the windscreen.
Imho anything bigger than 7" is getting too heavy and too bulky.
The quality of the maps depends on the source but using proper zoom levels and a good map on a 6" with 800x480 pixels is fun.
Make sure to buy a device with at least 128mb Ram and a Cpu faster than 400mHz, the rest like BT, DVB-T or a reversing cam is optional.
On a CE5 or 6 device you can use OziExplorer, Igo, Primo, Papago and so on.
Here in Australia the Igo maps are better in remote areas than TT, for example smaller tracks in the national parks are mostly included where on TT they are missing.
Garmin has the best selection of maps in really good quality, but you need a proper Garmin device to use them with all features.
For our region the cheapest source for a GPS would be Chinavison, that's where most Ebay seller get their devices ;)
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby Jason_Azzopardi » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:49 pm

Thanks for the reply, you seam to be a wealth of information. I will pm you, sorry for the delay been on night shifts. From your name I figure your from Australia, what area? Im in Victoria, Macedon Ranges exactly..
Jason_Azzopardi offline

Return to Chit-Chat