Antenna Position   

Here you post everything that is not related to other forum areas.
stuff like how you like this forum for example ;)

Antenna Position

Postby Motsey » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:23 pm

Hi,
I have a Chinese in car gps system for my Mazda 6 by Shihong Tech.

The unit has a gps settings page which i can use to gauge the signal level / number of satellites connected.

My device is a little random and sometimes will connect to many satellites and other times have 0 connections.

I have just purchased a new sma antenna and will test this as soon as it arrives but wondered where everyone poisoned their antenna?

Mine has been inside the car on the passenger side dash by the A pillar.

I have read that I should be mounting this onto a metal plate to increase connection, my unit did not come with such a plate - where do i acquire such a thing?

Has anyone mounted the antenna on the exterior of their car?
Motsey offline

Re: Antenna Position

Postby jtrosky » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:32 pm

I've mounted my GPS antenna both on top of the dashboard (plastic) and now underneath the dash panel (just underneath the long plastic panel where the defroster vent is) - but attached to metal underneath that panel - either way, I get excellent GPS reception.

The only time that I ever had GPS-signal related issues is when my GPS radio went bad. I would be driving along with a good signal and it would just drop out every once in a while for no obvious reason. Replaced the GPS radio inside the head-unit and all was fine again.

I suspect that you may have a GPS radio issue (unless it is the antenna that is defective, but unlikely in my experience).

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk
jtrosky offline

Postby Motsey » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:53 pm

I will try a new antenna and see if this resolves anything.

I might look into replacing the GPS radio, was it easy to replace and where did you source the parts?
Motsey offline

Postby Motsey » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:03 pm

I have fitted a bluebird antenna and it has worked, it gives considerably better signal levels and for the 30min drive I too it did not lose signal once.
I have stuck this down inside the dash with double sided tape and will see how this fares. I will keep you updated.
Motsey offline

Return to Chit-Chat