Igo Primo and the use of computer voices   

Igo Primo and the use of computer voices

Postby Downunder35m » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:12 am

Being more a Tomtom person I struggled a bit to get Primo working on my Tablet the way I want to.
For ages it annoyed me that no GPS program offered good sounding Australian TTS voices.
So after getting the basics of my Primo installation right I tried my best to get any australian voice to work.
Although some sounded a bit better, none gave the real life like feel and had a lack auf australian accent.
More by accident I noticed the Ivona voices are still free to download :[Please Register or Login to download file] .
I can only recommend that you download a voice in your language and test it out, I have not heard anything better than this!
With nothing to loose I installed the australian voice and the HQ sound engine.
Reading normal text was a pleasant surprise as it sounded really natural, so time to test Primo...
Surprise!! No Ivona voice available and TTS pro still greyed out.
After a lot of searching I found a ZIP file that promised to make the TTS voice installed on the Android system available in Primo : [Please Register or Login to download file] .
Download the file and copy it into your \content\voice folder - do not unpack the file!!!
Now you would be able to use the TTS voice installed and active in your Android system, but to make full use of it and get the pronounciation correct you have to do one more step:
Rename the \content\PHONEME folder.
Alternative way:
Make a backup of your \conten\PHONEME folder.
Now delete the .ph files inside.
With that sorted your Primo should be able to use the system default TTS engine and voice.
It will show in the voice selection as
Country
Male/Female: system
Setting TTS Pro Android V2.01

Where Country is the selected country/language of the system TTS voice.
If street names or free-/highways are prounounced by the numbers instead the name you have to check your sys.txt
always_say_road_names:
Settings are:
1 says road number, 2 says road name, and 3 says both, 0 for no road names

I hope this little info will help you to get Primo talk the way you like ;)

Edit: for all with problems downloading from FF, here the file as an attachment:
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby liway » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:21 pm

Thanks for promoting the Australia TTS voice file that I composed and released last year.

Additional points:
1. This file is TTS Pro. You can select many features available for the Pro settings.
2. Although the file is intended to set for Australian usage, it has been reported that it is also applicable to both UK and US. Just use your own Android system's TTS voice to get the UK or US accent.
3. TTS files must be compatible with your Android system language. If the system language is not English, you may not be able to see/select it (same for both iGO Primo and TomTom's TTS).
4. You may edit the file to include commands/usage/abbreviation pronounciations that suits your own area/taste.
liway offline

Postby Downunder35m » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:42 pm

Sweet! Was not aware we have the creator in the forum!!
I got it without any reference as an attachment after searching endless websites.
It is just freaking hard to find anything for the GPS that offers proper australian pronounciations, and so far Ivona is way ahead.
If I find any problems during use I will come back to you and I guess quite a few users here will appreciate you nice work!
I just wish someone would od something like that for TT.
Forum rules

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby liway » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:42 am

Have you tried SVOX's Australian voice Olivia?

There are free trial and paid versions available in Google Play. You may try and see how it works, bearing in mind that comments are not so favourable.

One thing good about SVOX voices (ver 3 or above) and not available in Ivona is that you can create your own dictionary of pronounciation correction.
liway offline

Postby Downunder35m » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:56 am

Don't really like the sound of SVOX.
Will see how long Ivona stay free and check if there will be cured versions available.
Compared to older TTS systems the output has improoved quite a bit and it can be only a matter of time until we see near perfect voices.
Makes you wonder why GPS programs mostly only work with their own crappy voices...
And so far it always seemed like AU is not important enough to produce a proper voice.
Giving a voice an accent is not enough to make it australian, you also need good pronounciations for native names, same in NZ.
Forum rules

Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby marcy99 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:14 pm

I have followed your advice to the T and I have patched UK oliver on my Samsung Galaxy S3 I have placed all files in the correct places but if I go in to the Igo Primo and look under voices I do not see any

Country
Male/Female: system
Setting TTS Pro Android V2.01

TTS PRO still greyed out also

Can you help?
[font="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]I am part of the contribution community - I have donated, have you? [/size][/font] :naughty:
marcy99 offline

V.I.P Member

Postby Downunder35m » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:54 pm

Can you use the voice in other programs?
Do the Primo voices work?
Forum rules

Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby marcy99 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:03 pm

Downunder35m wrote:Can you use the voice in other programs?
Do the Primo voices work?

I have the voice working on other apps but not I go none of the voices on igo work but they show up. Also the file that you say to put in voice folder is a zip.exe? 31kb is this correct? Is this file for recognising the tts engine installed from Google play?
marcy99 offline

V.I.P Member

Postby Downunder35m » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:00 pm

It is a ZIP not an EXE and 31kb is correct.
If you got an EXE file I suspect you might have clicked on an ad.
If the correct zip file is inside the voice folder AND a valid TTS voice is selected on the Android system, the same voice will be available in Primo labeled as "system".
Forum rules

Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby liway » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:56 am

Another possibility is that if your Android's system language is not English, then relevant TTS Pro (UK, US, AUS, etc) will not be shown or cannot be selected even you selected English as iGO's program language.

The system language (to be set in Android system settings before running iGO) must be the same as the TTS Pro in order to activate the selection.
liway offline

Postby Downunder35m » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:32 am

Good one, although this should only affect a few devices.
Forum rules

Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Return to Android Discussion