IGO for Android "Please insert your MOTONAV SD card" problem   

IGO for Android "Please insert your MOTONAV SD card" problem

Postby Pepin » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:54 am

Hi,

In think I sucessfuly installed the IGO for Android on my Samsung Galaxy S (GT I9000) with 16GB Micro SD card.

Source post: http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?2607-iGO-for-Android

However, when I try to start the application it says "Please insert your MOTONAV SD card".

-I renamed the SD card to MOTONAV but no luck there.

-I went to the apps manager and force stopped the app. There was no data to clean.

-Tried the content of the MOTONAV folder directly into the root of the SD Card. Which only consists of folders Contents and License. No other files or folders. Not sure if that is right for Android, looks different structure (files) as in my IGO on Mobile Windows?

-I rebooted the handset each time/try.

No luck so far.Can't find any other solutions on the web. Anyone know what to do?

Thanks,

Pepin
(Newbie to Android, newbie to IGO.)
Pepin offline

Postby Pepin » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:54 pm

Anyone has a suggestion?
Pepin offline

Postby chas521 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:29 am

Pepin wrote:Hi,

In think I sucessfuly installed the IGO for Android on my Samsung Galaxy S (GT I9000) with 16GB Micro SD card.

Source post: http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?2607-iGO-for-Android

However, when I try to start the application it says "Please insert your MOTONAV SD card".

-I renamed the SD card to MOTONAV but no luck there.

-I went to the apps manager and force stopped the app. There was no data to clean.

-Tried the content of the MOTONAV folder directly into the root of the SD Card. Which only consists of folders Contents and License. No other files or folders. Not sure if that is right for Android, looks different structure (files) as in my IGO on Mobile Windows?

-I rebooted the handset each time/try.

No luck so far.Can't find any other solutions on the web. Anyone know what to do?

Thanks,

Pepin
(Newbie to Android, newbie to IGO.)

I don't know that much about your problem but I honestly think that naming your SD card MOTONAV is not the answer. SD cards are usually named Storage card, Storagecard, SDMMC, etc. Things like that. Try all the variations and see if one of them is the answer.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Pepin » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:01 am

FIXED!

What it was is that this model phone has an build in SD card and an external SD card. I am used to working with the external one where it comes to GPS programs. But I realised this today and thought, lets try... so I copied the Motonav folder from the external SD card to my internal SD card, and 'voila' I started Motonav and it completed its instalation and works perfectly.

Two little issues...

This model of phone (Galaxy S, GT-I9000) is running Android 2.1. Maybe I am not that familiar with Android yet but when I am using Motonav and I press the home button the program is minimized. However, I see no possibility to get back to the program. If I press on the app shortcut it tries to start again and this I suspect is a second run of the same program which results in the GPS not being found. Thus, I first need to go to task manager to close the program. Unfortunately I do not see anywhere how to switch back to the first running one. Task manager only seems to be able to close. I can see that the first one is still running in the background, so that is the problem. Thus, if minimizing Motonav force close it in task manager before restarting it up. (maybe I am just overseeing the program switch function I was used to in WM6.1)

2nd issue, some of the screen is being cut off. My mobile is advertised as 800 x 480, and the downloaded program (see link previous 1st post) says this is also for 800 x 480. Still it cuts off the screen a little. Straight up the bottom buttons only show their top edge, thus still usable although I can't read the text. This is the most irritating cut off as the bottom buttons are almost gone and difficult to press. When on its side the right buttons are also cut off a bit, the last few letters, so also still usable. I am not sure if the poster wrote the correct size (480*800) or if this is maybe anotherversion with size such as the 854x480 one!????

I still have to find out how to access my mobile and its internal SD card through the computer so I can see how to modify things further. Maybe there are some screen settings in a file somewhere???

As I said, programs works fine for the rest. I must say though that I am a little dissapointed in the display of street names. It does give some street names you are passing, but not those further away. In 2D they show all, but in 3D or 3D+ the streets are mostly blank. Not very useful if you drive somewhere new, for which you want the GPS. Of course if you know your destination the search and go to function works fine. But the point is that I also would like to see where I am at. I couldn't find any settings for this, so maybe I have to look at other Android GPS programs and try those out as well. Any suggestions?

Regards,
Pepin offline

Postby nabi » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:30 am

Motonav has a different resolution. 854*480 could be correct.
IGO for Android exists in two versions, the Motonav and the 'normal' iGO for Android.
You should look out for that 'normal' Android build.:
http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?947-iGO-My-way%E2%84%A2-for-Android%E2%84%A2
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby Pepin » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:08 pm

nabi wrote:Motonav has a different resolution. 854*480 could be correct.
IGO for Android exists in two versions, the Motonav and the 'normal' iGO for Android.
You should look out for that 'normal' Android build.:
http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?947-iGO-My-way%E2%84%A2-for-Android%E2%84%A2

Thanks, but the original one in the post you referred to is probably for 400 x 240 resolution or so... it is too small for my 800 x 480 screen. Funny to see though. I will keep looking for a 800 x 480 version... difficult it seems... Most links are dead.
Pepin offline

Postby chas521 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:44 pm

@Pepin

I could be wrong but I doubt that your device has an internal SD card. You're probably referring to its internal flash drive. But on the other hand, it doesn't matter since it's working. Hope you get your other problems worked out also.

EDIT: You may need to set your tilt properly to see more of the road. Just a thought.

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby nabi » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:56 pm

Pepin wrote:Thanks, but the original one in the post you referred to is probably for 400 x 240 resolution or so... it is too small for my 800 x 480 screen. Funny to see though. I will keep looking for a 800 x 480 version... difficult it seems... Most links are dead.

I can't say for sure the resolution 800*480 is supported in the one iGO in the post. I am at work. I have to check it when I get home.
You say probably a 400*240 so you don't know for sure either.;)
Anyways, I can't guarantee a nice looking result using a 400*240 data.zip. but some changes in sys.txt could fix that.
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby Pepin » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:51 pm

Hi,

Two posts back.
Internal flash drive or internal SD card.... not sure about this phone's inner technology... but that is how the phone refers to its internal memory. In fact there is a phone memory, internal SD card and external SD card.... why they called it like this, not sure. But the fact that the program didn't find its files and said "Please insert your MOTONAV SD card" this also regards the internal drive as an SD card. So, there must be something to it. Just for the next person who installs this,.... Your removable SD card is not where the Motonav folder should be located, it should be on its internal SD card (memory, flash drive, or???)

Previous post.
I was looking into that solution as well. In fact I was considering getting the 800x480 files from Windows Mobile and try to replace these in the APK. However, didn't get to that as during my research how to go about that I found this post (other website) and thread
Hurray, 800x480 Android version to be found there. Unfortunately, Motonav, but better than nothing. I had a look at Igo Myway website and there this resolution is not listed under compatibility, so probably no Igo Android with this resolution out yet.

Which other Android GPS programs with 800x480 are out there?

Thanks for the suggestions etc.
Pepin offline

Postby nabi » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:20 pm

IGO for Android wont work, its 480*320.
Check out http://www.navitotal.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?162-Android-Navigation-Apps for other programs.
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby robertdegier » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:38 am

Hi all,

I'm using a SAMSUN GALAXY S (GT I9000) with 8GB Micro internal SD card. On my PDA i'm using TomTom.
Now I want to install IGO (Motonav_IM-PPCW.apk) on my SAMSUNG but I try it will not work. Installation seems to be ok
When I start up MOTONAV I still get the pop up ""Please insert your MOTONAV SD card"".
Is there anyone who can tell me wat I'm doing wrong? Did I miss something?
robertdegier offline

Postby chas521 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:14 pm

robertdegier wrote:Hi all,

I'm using a SAMSUN GALAXY S (GT I9000) with 8GB Micro internal SD card. On my PDA i'm using TomTom.
Now I want to install IGO (Motonav_IM-PPCW.apk) on my SAMSUNG but I try it will not work. Installation seems to be ok
When I start up MOTONAV I still get the pop up ""Please insert your MOTONAV SD card"".
Is there anyone who can tell me wat I'm doing wrong? Did I miss something?

Did you closely read all the posts in this thread? Your question looks familiar.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby robertdegier » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:44 pm

Hi I read the installation text again. My problem was that I installed conten and license in the root. After moving them to Motonav It worked. Thanks.
robertdegier offline

Return to Android Discussion