How does an Android GPS app compare with a real GPS?   

How does an Android GPS app compare with a real GPS?

Postby frisbeee » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:44 am

hey guys, so i was thinking about buying a GPS for my car... but then i realized... my phone already has a big enough screen, could i just use that for my everyday GPS usage? what are some of the pros and cons of using my phone's GPS vs. i guess.. a real GPS?
frisbeee offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:46 am

It's fine for short trips, but someone calling you when you're trying to negotiate a complicated junction or roundabout is the most annoying thing ever, so a dedicated unit would be better for long trips.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby frisbeee » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:44 am

what about in terms of accuracy and holding a GPS signal? is using a phone good enough to hold a signal continously through a short trip?
frisbeee offline

Postby Downunder35m » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:05 am

Makes no real difference as the technical stuff behind is the same ;)
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:44 pm

I use my Galaxy S2 for short trips, and it works just like a dedicated device, gets a bit warm though.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby p!xeldealer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:16 pm

I see some big differences between Android smartphone GPS and dedicated GPS e.g. my Garmin Nuvi or Oregon:

Advantages of dedicated satnav devices:
  1. much better GPS hardware (except in very cheap devices)
  2. has much faster satfix
  3. is more exactly
  4. don't loose satfix as fast as Android GPS if something covers (e.g. buildings or wood)
  5. has much longer battery life (esp. Oregon or comparable handhelds)
  6. mostly easier to use
  7. water and dust resistant (Oregon or comparable handhelds)
  8. more robust
That means: If you need GPS only sometimes, a smartphone with a good app is enough, but if you need it daily in car or often for outdoor activities, a dedicated car or outdoor satnav is recommended!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby bangerdemon » Thu May 02, 2013 7:00 pm

p!xeldealer wrote:I see some big differences between Android smartphone GPS and dedicated GPS e.g. my Garmin Nuvi or Oregon:

Advantages of dedicated satnav devices:
  3. is more exactly
  4. don't loose satfix as fast as Android GPS if something covers (e.g. buildings or wood)
  6. mostly easier to use
  8. more robust
That means: If you need GPS only sometimes, a smartphone with a good app is enough, but if you need it daily in car or often for outdoor activities, a dedicated car or outdoor satnav is recommended!

I use a Samsung Galaxy Ace running Primo 2, and work as a delivery driver. I have no problems with it covering Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Somerset, (possibly any 3 in 1 day) in the UK!!!
bangerdemon offline

Postby iain » Sat May 04, 2013 1:30 pm

p!xeldealer wrote:Advantages of dedicated satnav devices:
  3. is more exactly
  6. mostly easier to use
  8. more robust

I disagree with every single one of your points. Do you sell dedicated satnavs for a living?

A good smartphone performs every bit as well as a dedicated GPS - usually considerably better, because they have much more powerful processors and good internet connectivity.

The drawbacks with using a smartphone for navigation are not the points you make at all:

1. You need to leave the power lead connected when navigating, or you will end up with a phone with an almost flat battery.

2. The phone can get quite warm, which is a shock when you put it back in your pocket.

3. It is inconvenient having to take the thing from your pocket and fix it to the dash every time.

The advantages are:

1. You can plan your route in advance, before you set off.

2. It helps you find where you parked the car.

3. All your contacts and destinations are in one place.

4. You do't leave a valuable item in the car as a temptation to thieves.
iain offline

Postby nabi » Sat May 04, 2013 6:13 pm

iain wrote:The advantages are:

1. You can plan your route in advance, before you set off.

2. It helps you find where you parked the car.

3. All your contacts and destinations are in one place.

4. You do't leave a valuable item in the car as a temptation to thieves.

I have no experience with a phone/gps, not to mention Android, but I want to give my 2cts here.
1. I wonder why you could not plan a route in advance on a handheld gps, I do it all the time, so no extra plus for the phone, but a draw. Unless Android gps is missing that feature?
2. Really? Why a phone does that and a handheld gps doesn't? Mine does. Using the right program/skin/settings combination. Or again, unless ...
3. Correct, although is this important when you are no traveling salesman or whatever occupation that needs this feature?
4. Hmm. let's place this in perspective. I often take my device in my pocket when leaving the car (also see 2). Do not forget what is appealing to thieves is that circle that is on the windshield, or the car holder that no one does put in his pocket, is even left in some cars on the windshield the whole year. Thieves do not see if your GPS is a phone that is in your pocket or a gps hidden in the car somewhere.

iain wrote:The drawbacks with using a smartphone for navigation are not the points you make at all:

1. You need to leave the power lead connected when navigating, or you will end up with a phone with an almost flat battery.

2. The phone can get quite warm, which is a shock when you put it back in your pocket.

3. It is inconvenient having to take the thing from your pocket and fix it to the dash every time.

1. ??? Handheld GPS need power suply too, I don't see your point.
2. no comment
3. It's no more inconvenient than take the gps where ever it's put away and fix it in the holder every time (When you take it out (against thieves)) Unless ofcourse you have an inbuild device.
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby Downunder35m » Sun May 05, 2013 12:37 am

1. Hardware: all current GPS systems use either the Sirf III/IV or the Global Locate chipset - therefore it does not matter if that chipset is used in a dedicated GPS or phone/tablet.
2. You go from very basic navigation solutions that offer just that up to over featured programs like OZIExplorer.
3. Where and how you plan a route makes no real difference and most people don't even need this feature ;)
4. All contacts and numbers in one place??? Well....
Just a little (true) story to 4.
A man had his car parked in "secure" multi story car park while on holidays.
For obvious reasons he also removed all valuable stuff from the car.
On the way back to his car he got robbed a knife point and everything was taken, including his gadget rich smart phone.
After sorting everything with police and insurance company he thought all is good.
3 days later he ended his holidays and drove back home.
Guess what he found?
Nothing of value left in the house and the rest trashed.
Turned out the thiefs were targeting holiday makers just to get their GPS/smartphone!
They knew the owner is far away, had the address from the phone and enough family names to pretend to the neighbours all is good.
But they did not stop there, since his phone was used to authorise bank transfers as well, they cleared out his bank account too.
I don't have to mention how easy it is to steal an identity step by step just with a fully loaded smartphone to start with....
Forum rules

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby iain » Sun May 05, 2013 9:07 am

1. I wonder why you could not plan a route in advance on a handheld gps, I do it all the time

Of course you could, but the phone is already conveniently to hand.

2. Really? Why a phone does that and a handheld gps doesn't? Mine does.

Mine doesn't, because I leave it in the car. Why on earth would I want to carry yet another lump of electronics with me?

3. Correct, although is this important when you are no traveling salesman or whatever occupation that needs this feature?

Try it some time! I find it useful to have the contacts in the GPS so you can decide to visit someone without pre-planning.

4. Hmm. let's place this in perspective. I often take my device in my pocket when leaving the car (also see 2).

I wouldn't ever do that. If there isn't somewhere to hide it in the car, you bought the wrong model of car.

Do not forget what is appealing to thieves is that circle that is on the windshield...

They'd be disappointed with my car, then. They would break in to find that I don't have a circle on the windscreen to steal, or a satnav holder. I leave the satnav in the car all the time.

I know the advantages of either approach, and personally choose to use a dedicated satnav.
iain offline

Postby nabi » Sun May 05, 2013 10:17 am

Can you live without your phone? Just asking.
I can. Also I don't need a GPS to visit my friends and family, I know where they live. I don't keep addresses in my phone, only numbers and names.
Work related contacts I don't need at all in my phone.

Maybe I am getting old that I do remember how people did it before handheld phones and GPS were invented or affordable? I can even read road and city maps on paper. Traveled a lot with only those.

While I do have a carwindow holder too, I do not ever use it. It leaves circles on the screen that attract thieves. Those villains want to steal that circle
iain wrote:I don't have a circle on the windscreen to steal

And no, I have no build in SatNav. However most people do use a window car holder.
I do sometimes leave the GPS in the car. Most of the time in fact. I bought the right model of car, with plenty of storage (or hide) room. Only thiefs know that storage place too. Thus ... ???
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby Downunder35m » Sun May 05, 2013 11:13 am

I gues the proper discussion would sound like:
What is the better option, a dedicated GPS or the corresponding software on an Android?

GPS signals are the same, so it goes down to usability and ease of use.
I would not dare to compare my 730 to, let's say Google maps, as not only are they different systems but differnt softwares as well.
With the ever increasing power of phones tablets, while dedicated GPS devices are on stand still, it makes sense to think of only using a phone/tablet.
You get programs for almost any navigational need, so it goes down to the simple things.

I use my GPS for all out of town trips, not because I would get lost but because I get the traffic infos on my TT.
The phone is paired so I can take calls handsfree.
Works fine for me :)
Tried it with my phone as a GPS and although it would answer the calls it is bloody annyoing that either the map screens disappears while accepting the call (and again when hanging up),
or that you still get instructions while on the phone.
I tend to say the majority of drivers has enough problems just keeping a car on the road (or why do we see all these idiots on the road? ;) ), if you add the radio playing, relying on the GPS instructions in unknown areas and getting phon calls I must say: too much distraction!!
Even if people don't like it, I don't check a SMS while driving and I only answer calls if they are important, even than I try to get off the road asap and stop.
I think I'm a really good driver with over 600.000km on the road and about 50.000 off road only 2 accidents I caused - and they go down to being jung and stupid.
But these days a 20 year old claims to be a perfect driver, not from experience but because he was lucky so far....

My advise, regardess if you use your phone or a dedicated GPS: keep distractions limited! Saving a few minutes by sending a SMS directly or taking a call in peak hour traffic is never worth an accident or in worst cases lost lives!
And now all is said from my side for this topic.
Forum rules

Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Return to Android Discussion