Android Sat Nav in Florida   

Android Sat Nav in Florida

Postby Mark S » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:19 pm

Hi,

Stupidly I have left my regular sat nav unit (iGo) with US maps somewhere I can't get to before a looming holiday to Florida.

Any ideas on my next best option?
I have an HTC Wildfire S phone. Is there a way to put Florida sat nav on to that that won't use data (i.e. not google)?
Alternatively I have an old Garmin Nuvi. Would it be more cost effective to put Florida maps onto that?
Mark S offline

Postby patricko01 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:35 pm

Did have any joy on this as I need it also
patricko01 offline

Postby nabi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:49 pm

Mark S wrote:Hi,

Stupidly I have left my regular sat nav unit (iGo) with US maps somewhere I can't get to before a looming holiday to Florida.

Any ideas on my next best option?
I have an HTC Wildfire S phone. Is there a way to put Florida sat nav on to that that won't use data (i.e. not google)?
Alternatively I have an old Garmin Nuvi. Would it be more cost effective to put Florida maps onto that?

You would have a good chance on updating Garmin, but better to ask in the Garmin forum. Give the details on the device too.
There are other options that would work on the Desire, like iGO. Look around in this forum or - even better - use the search function. Search for "Desire"
Problem would be finding a working link (due by the FBI seize, some host stopped sharing). Of course there is this: http://www.navitotal.com/forums/announcement.php?f=87

patricko01 wrote:Did have any joy on this as I need it also

Need? What ? Be specific! Florida maps ? For iGO? Ever thought of looking in the iGO section?
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby Mark S » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:56 am

In the end I gave up on the Android approach & loaded up the Garmin.
I decided that filling up the memory of a relatively low spec smart phone (with a small screen) probably wasn't the optimal approach.
I think if I hadn't had time constraints or an old sat nav unit in the back of a drawer then the simplest approach would have been to buy a cheapo Chinese unit with all the maps I needed off ebay. They are surprisingly good for the price.
Mark S offline

Return to Android Discussion