Best Android App for Tablet Navigation in car   

Best Android App for Tablet Navigation in car

Postby mightthiswork6 » Thu May 14, 2015 8:10 pm

Hi all,

Would like options/opinions on what app to go with on my tablet for in-car navigation. Wife's car had a TomTom Go720 I had mounted and hardwired in (and we enjoyed). Moving to a new car for her (and toying with the idea for awhile), I would like to replace the older TT with a tablet that would give us more (connected) options. Would like to do the same in mine (where the Nav was outdated before the car even came off the line).

I will be using a Samsung Tab 3 7.0 LTE and a Nexus 7 (2013) - both are still on 4.X; not yet on Lollipop. We prefer the known TT interface and input for navi, but open to other options; didn't really like the Garmin input for navigation, and I do have Sygic installed on another tablet, but find it's input for destinations not as intuitive. But again, we are open to all options.

I'm in the Northeast US, and our travels would be limited to US and Canada (do go to Canada quite frequent) if that makes a difference. For the Samsung, I do have a large microSD card, so not a problem on map size; Nexus is a bit more limited, and it would be more of a nice to have and use as.

Any thoughts on what you would recommend I try and maybe some direction as to version and where to find? Thanks!
mightthiswork6 offline

Re: Best Android App for Tablet Navigation in car

Postby hairydog » Mon May 18, 2015 8:21 pm

In my view, the best navigation app is iGo Primo. Best by a significant margin.

However, it is difficult to buy legally unless you buy it preinstalled, and it can be a bit of a pig to configure.

But once it is working, it really is brilliant.

It doesn't just work better than most of the others, but it also give the right amount of information in the right way, so that you not only know about the next turn, but you also have an appreciation of where you are and where you are going.

It's also immensely configurable. If it doesn't already do what you want, there will probably be a skin to make it do so!
hairydog offline

Postby Downunder35m » Tue May 19, 2015 1:22 am

Suggesting a GPS app is hard the same way as it is to suggest the right car for a person.
Take a very specific hardware on top of that and all you get is opinions that might not even reflect your needs.
In the end it comes down to what the user can do, knows and really needs.
A power user with IGO will most likely not ever consider anything else, but the same is true for the one using a free and simple app based on OPSM maps.
IMHO the best and only way it to test the programs, check their look and feel and to go from there over maps and additional features.
After all it is personal preference that makes life so interesting ;)
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby mightthiswork6 » Tue May 26, 2015 8:10 pm

I really appreciate both of your responses! Totally agree about personal preference and choice. One of the beauties of a(n active) forum - multiple opinions/direction to help me make my choice!! It's also why I included my devices and usage to see if anyone falls in a similar bucket.

Just trying to get an idea where to start, as $50+ or more to spend on a Navigation program with unappealing results does not tickle my fancy (just spend on a dedicated device?!). Trying to finally get to a point where I make use of all the technology I have surrounded myself with. The TT has served us well, but changing vehicles (and times), thought I might give a tablet a go and see if it can give similar or better results with the added functionality such a device can provide (including increased real estate).

I'll see if I can find some information on iGo and start there. Most of the links seem unresponded to for being down on TT, so I'll read up on iGo and see if it's personally in my wheelhouse. I have tried Sygic, but was unsuccessful finding and using directions (probably user error!).

Again, I really appreciate your comments!
mightthiswork6 offline

Return to Android Apps