MyGuide 4200   

MyGuide 4200

Postby shorty109 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:17 pm

Just purchased a MyGuide 4200. I believe it's running iGO s/w? Have tried running TT7 from the 2Gig SD card without much success. I have written a SHELL.ini file and copied it to the root of the SD. ( \Storage Card\MobileNavigator\MobileNavigator.exe ) but still the unit boots to the MyGuide & installed navigation s/w.

Apologies, forgot to include the 4200 spec
•300 MHz Processor
•Windows CE5.0 Operating System
•MyGuide 6.1 navigation software from Nav n Go
•RAM 64Mb / Flash 64 Mb
•4.3” anti-glare touchscreen display
•Battery / Lifetime Li-Ion 1400 mAH / 3 hours

In the past have got TT to run on Binatone's with TurboDog installed.
Have searched the forums, but I'm only a gnat's whisker above a newbie.
Any help on getting TT to run on this unit would be gratefully accepted.
shorty109 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:30 pm

Just replace the original app with the new one, using the same file and folder names. These units do not use MobileNavigator\MobileNavigator.exe

Obviously make a backup first.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby highwayman » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:48 pm

I to have a MyGuide 4200 and would like to install tomtom, don't understand your reply to previous post from shorty109
highwayman offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:07 pm

highwayman wrote:I to have a MyGuide 4200 and would like to install tomtom, don't understand your reply to previous post from shorty109

Look at the file structure of the device on your PC, and note down the path to the original app, Simply rename the Tomtom directory and executable to match the original and then replace it.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby shorty109 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:38 am

Fatboyfun, Thanks for your quick reply. Will post back when/if successful.
shorty109 offline

Postby shorty109 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:02 am

Fatboyfun,
Luckily made a full back up before I started.
Have tried to replace the original app with renamed TT file.
Getting in a right muck and fuddle.
When I alter any of the igo files the '\' drive doesn't seem to populate.
The 4200 then stops on the front screen and doesn't load anything.
Hopefully, I've uploaded 4 screen shots of the file structure.
1. Which TT s/w would you suggest?
2. This project needs a lot of help
shorty109 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:17 pm

shorty109 wrote:Fatboyfun,
Luckily made a full back up before I started.
Have tried to replace the original app with renamed TT file.
Getting in a right muck and fuddle.
[color="red"]When I alter any of the igo files the '\' drive doesn't seem to populate.[/color]
The 4200 then stops on the front screen and doesn't load anything.
Hopefully, I've uploaded 4 screen shots of the file structure.
1. Which TT s/w would you suggest?
2. This project needs a lot of help

What does the highlighted text mean?

I would copy the original folder to your computer then replace the entire folder on your device with the new folder suitably renamed, Otherwise there may be conflicts

On my Binatone i sometimes have to reboot the device if i've made any changes to the internal drive via Activesync, Otherwise they don't show up, File system cache?
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby shorty109 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:56 pm

31983199I did copy the original My Guide Folder to my computer hard drive. Replaced the original My Guide.exe file with a renamed TTNavigator file. Then copied it back and rebooted. This change caused the unit not to boot. Then noticed the \ drive on the unit only had about 10k load? After each failure I restore the original files to check the unit is still ok. It would seem the DATA.ZIP file contains the Navigo software (attached), would that be a good guess. Or am I well off the mark. Would I be correct in thinking the My Guide.exe file boots the unit. Have tried replacing the IGO files in the DATA.ZIP file with TTNavigator renamed files (Renamed as the original file). This also caused the \ drive not to populate on boot. As you can see from the attached it's normally, on a working unit, about 330 K.
shorty109 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:08 pm

Ok on WinCE devices the...

\ drive is called Main storage, This is in ROM and any changes are lost after power is switched off.
My Flash Disk is the Internal flash drive, Sometimes called ResidentFlash, The navigation application normally goes here, This does not revert back after power is switched off.
Storage Card is your SD card, Sometimes called SDMMC.

Backup/Delete the entire MyGuide folder and rename the Navigator folder to MyGuide and also rename Tomtom Navigator to MyGuide.exe then copy the new MyGuide folder to your device where the old folder was.

NOTE: You appear to be connecting via WMDC, You will not be able to activate Tomtom maps on the device. I'll tell you how when we get that far.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby shorty109 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:46 pm

Renamed TTNavigator (Ver 7.9) folder to MyGuide. Renamed TTNavigator.exe to MyGuide.exe. Deleted existing MyGuide folder from 4200's Flash Disk. Copied the renamed folder (MyGuide) from the computer to the 4200's flash Disk. Rebooted 4200. Now have a TT icon on the 'Navigate' button. Pushing navigate button fires up TT (Yippee, making progress) Now have a message saying ' No Maps Found'. Have already copied a compatible TT map to the SD Card? I guess this will be the next part to your lesson, beings we've got that far. Thanks for your patience Fatboyfun
shorty109 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:19 pm

I have no idea whether Tomtom works on this device, It can be tricky sometimes.

This guide contains Tomtom Navigator 7.450 which works on more devices than 7.910, And is virtually the same. Other than that use the same procedure you used for your Binatones to install Tomtom, Obviously a card reader makes this much easier.

If it still refuses to work then you can install a newer version of iGO (Primo) with current (2011 Q2) maps instead.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby shorty109 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:11 pm

Thanks Fatboyfun for your help. Still working on this project. Will post back with results.
shorty109 offline

Postby shorty109 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:04 am

I'm at the point of accepting defeat with the 4200. Have reloaded original files, many times, to prove the 4200 is still working correctly. Followed your instructions to the letter and TT works for approx 5 minutes, then freezes. There are no 'Out of Memory' messages, but the reset switch is the only way to turn the 4200 off and start again. Noticed that after a freeze there were files on the SD card that would not delete (Corrupted) and the only way to get rid of them was to format the SD. At one point even got to the 'Windows' screen (by a fluke of nature) and tried installing TT 7.910 QVGA Black.cab file, this failed miserably. Retried the 'Sys.ini' file on the Flash Drive (TT and maps on the SD) and again it worked for approx 5 minutes, then froze.
Once again, thanks for your help Fatboyfun, but I have to admit defeat on this occasion.
shorty109 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:28 am

Give the version of Tomtom from this thread a go, some members who've had freezing problems report that this works...

Tomtom alternative version
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby shorty109 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:24 pm

Fatboyfun........At last a successful outcome. Had the 4200 running for the past 3 hours with no freezing. I can change the voices, add POI's etc with no lock up's. Even managed to get a succesful route planned without freezing half way. (Useful for a SatNav.........:helpsos:)
shorty109 offline

Next

Return to General Discussions about TomTom