Putting maps on unit instead of SDcard bad?   

Putting maps on unit instead of SDcard bad?

Postby Jackiie » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:04 am

Zumo 390LM (Europe)
After reading the tutorial stickies, I ot a bit confused you don't really need a SD-card, do you?
I made a folder named Map, and put the North Africa file, plus 3d file, in there.
The map seems to work, but there are no 3d stuff (maybe there are not in Morocco?)

What is the reason to have an external card instead of using the internal space, as long as you got space?
Jackiie offline

Re: Putting maps on unit instead of SDcard bad?

Postby kolokythas » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:52 am

Jackiie wrote:Zumo 390LM (Europe)
After reading the tutorial stickies, I ot a bit confused you don't really need a SD-card, do you?
I made a folder named Map, and put the North Africa file, plus 3d file, in there.
The map seems to work, but there are no 3d stuff (maybe there are not in Morocco?)

What is the reason to have an external card instead of using the internal space, as long as you got space?

As you said none! Unless you want more maps!
kolokythas offline

Postby Jackiie » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:06 am

Perfect, and thank you!

Could you point me in the direction of a tutorial that explains exactly what all the different files do (.jvc and so on)?
Jackiie offline

Postby kolokythas » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:22 am

Jackiie wrote:Perfect, and thank you!

Could you point me in the direction of a tutorial that explains exactly what all the different files do (.jvc and so on)?

Yes !
.img Normal Garmin maps (gmapprom.img or gmapsupp.img)
gmap3D.img 3d building support for some devices in old devices appears only the diagram
.jcv Junction view maps only for some devices (Be Carefull the .jcv file should correspond to the same .img map revision-product)
GMAPTZ.img Time zone map
gmapbmap.img Basic map of the Continent
.asr support for Speacking navigation only in some devices.
I hope that i help you
kolokythas offline

Postby Jackiie » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:38 am

Thank you. That makes it easier.
So, what I "need" is the usual gmapsupp, and that ones work.
So I have added both North Africa .img and North Africa 3D .img, but I can't find any 3d in North Africa. Is it because there are so few items, or did I do anything wrong? I am able to check the boxes for both of them in my GPS.

Garmin website, when looking at North Africa, says:
"Please note, these full-version maps do not contain premium content such as junction view or 3-D buildings and terrain. These features only are available on the preloaded maps within your device or through a specific update for the mapping region of your device."
Jackiie offline

Postby kolokythas » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:01 am

Jackiie wrote:Thank you. That makes it easier.
So, what I "need" is the usual gmapsupp, and that ones work.
So I have added both North Africa .img and North Africa 3D .img, but I can't find any 3d in North Africa. Is it because there are so few items, or did I do anything wrong? I am able to check the boxes for both of them in my GPS.

Garmin website, when looking at North Africa, says:
"Please note, these full-version maps do not contain premium content such as junction view or 3-D buildings and terrain. These features only are available on the preloaded maps within your device or through a specific update for the mapping region of your device."

You may use those files your device support junction views but it is not sure that they may exist views of your area
http://www.navitotal.com/new-maps-f88/city-navigator-middle-east-northern-africa-2016-t15869.html
kolokythas offline

Return to General Discussions about Garmin