How to Add Two Map's on Garmin Nuvi 1490?   

How to Add Two Map's on Garmin Nuvi 1490?

Postby huffyrox » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:54 am

Hello

I have a Garmin Nuvi 1490T. It's internal maps are USA, however, I want to add Australian maps that are accessible via a SD card so I can switch between them. I have downloaded the maps from (http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?10282-CN-Australia-amp-New-Zealand-NT-2013.20-NAVTEQ), and extracted the .IMG file to the SD card, however, the Garmin does not recognize the format. I'm wondering how I go about adding the Australian maps from a SD card?

I've tried the instructions from this post (http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?9026-step-by-step-replacing-internal-map-on-nuvi-1xxx-2xxx-and-3xxx) on an external drive.

Cheers,
Huffyrox
huffyrox offline

Postby Confused » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:54 am

It should be very simple to make it work.

1. First... The card needs to be either FAT or FAT32 format.

2. You can take your downloaded IMG and make sure it is named gmapsupp.img and copy it to a garmin folder on SD like this.

SD:\garmin\gmapsupp.img <<< will work

OR

3. You can name your IMG file anything you like (for example: "Australia.img") and place it a "Map" folder on your SD. The folder "Map" MUST start with a capital "M"

SD:\Map\Australia.img <<< will work (you can put multiple IMG files in this folder)

Common problem are mispelled dirctory or filenames.
Confused offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:16 pm

The answer is already written here: http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?4675-Image-names-and-paths-for-Garmin-devices&p=33390#post33390

...please first look for existing tutorials, before opening new thread
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby huffyrox » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:38 am

Confused wrote:It should be very simple to make it work.

1. First... The card needs to be either FAT or FAT32 format.

2. You can take your downloaded IMG and make sure it is named gmapsupp.img and copy it to a garmin folder on SD like this.

SD:\garmin\gmapsupp.img <<< will work

OR

3. You can name your IMG file anything you like (for example: "Australia.img") and place it a "Map" folder on your SD. The folder "Map" MUST start with a capital "M"

SD:\Map\Australia.img <<< will work (you can put multiple IMG files in this folder)

Common problem are mispelled dirctory or filenames.

Thanks for the help :)
huffyrox offline

Return to General Discussions about Garmin