.GMAP folder to SD card - Garmin   

.GMAP folder to SD card - Garmin

Postby StorageDiskGPS » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:00 am

Hello guys,

I had a deep search and unable to find a solution. If this has being asked, please point me to the right direction by leaving me a response to the appropriate thread. If not, please keep reading.

I have taken some Garmin Maps which contained a strange folder called "City Navigator North America NT 2017.10.gmap"

This is a folder and when I open it, it shows other stuff... I own a Garmin Nuvi 3590LMT and it can use SD cards. I have EU map loaded on it which is fine cause it is an .IMG file. But this is a folder... How do I load this?

I have read about using Basecamp and stuff... I do not use it and I like the idea of sticking everything in the card. Using Basecamp I believe installs on the "onboard" storage which I have no intention of...

Would anyone please be able to tell me what I need to do with that xxx.GMAP folder? Is there a software I need to use to convert it into a .IMG file?

Any guidance will be appreciated. Thank you.

PS: Image attachment is made for simplification of what I am puzzled about...

StorageDiskGPS offline

User avatar Junior Member

Re: .GMAP folder to SD card - Garmin

Postby kolokythas » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:19 am

Hi! I dont know where you found it but in fact those files are part of the needed files in order the map to be recognised by BaseCamp on a PC etc. but you have first to install it corectly on the PC thats mean to find the proper .msi files and proceed to the real installation of the map on the PC and Mapsource then if and only if the maps are unlocked you may see them on BaseCamp and with Mapinstall to install them on your SD card.
If the maps are locked you may need to unlock them on the Mapsource and on the SD before your device recognise them.
I hope i helped you to realise the hole needed steps!
kolokythas offline

Postby wimswims » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:45 pm

Macintosh: you can install the gmap file for use in Garmin Basecamp with Garmin Mapmanager.
Next: now you can export installed maps to a SD-card (format: gmasupp.img) using Garmin Mapinstall.
Last edited by wimswims on Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
wimswims offline

Postby StorageDiskGPS » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:52 am

kolokythas wrote:Hi! I dont know where you found it but in fact those files are part of the needed files in order the map to be recognised by BaseCamp on a PC etc. but you have first to install it corectly on the PC thats mean to find the proper .msi files and proceed to the real installation of the map on the PC and Mapsource then if and only if the maps are unlocked you may see them on BaseCamp and with Mapinstall to install them on your SD card.
If the maps are locked you may need to unlock them on the Mapsource and on the SD before your device recognise them.
I hope i helped you to realise the hole needed steps!

Thank you. Yes makese sense.

wimswims wrote:Macintosh: you can install the gmap file for use in Garmin Basecamp with Garmin Mapmanager.
Next: from Basecamp you can export maps to a SD-card (format: gmasupp.img).

Working. Cheers!
StorageDiskGPS offline

User avatar Junior Member

Return to General Discussions about Garmin