Differences between unlocked, locked and Mapsource maps?   

Differences between unlocked, locked and Mapsource maps?

Postby janebrink » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:14 pm

Hi guys!

As a newbee to this community Im posting my first post! :usa:

I have had a Garmin for a while, but always been satisfied with downloading the unlocked maps and just copy/paste them into my former unit. (Nüvi 310)

But now since I've gotten my Zumo 550 I've become more interested in how it works and so on.

So my question is, when new maps are posted here or anywhere else for that matter, howcome it's always possible to download both locked and unlocked maps? Why don't just go only for the unlocked ones? Advantages with locked maps?

And my second question is, what is the difference between the normal maps and the MapSource maps?

I tried to search the forum for these answers but either way Im to dull to manage a proper search, or these questions have never been asked before. :think:

Hope you can help me out so I can get thefullest from my Zumo..

Cheers!

//Anders.
janebrink offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:13 am

Original and unlocked maps are posted, because some people prefer it, to unlock their maps themselves. Maybe they fear that unlocked maps lost some data :scratch_one-s_head_.

Many maps are available in two formats:
a) MapSource- (also gmap-, CD- or DVD-) format for usage on PC with MapSource, BaseCamp, MapInstall for trip planning and creating individual map images
and
b) Image-format for direct usage on device or SD card.

Important to know is: You can make a fully functionally Image from MapSource version but you can't make a real MapSource version from Image (some data will lost).

That means, the image version is easier to handle, but mapsource version is more variably.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby janebrink » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:37 am

Ah! Think I understand now. Thanks! :)
So the best thing for a Zumo-owner would probably be to download the unlocked MapSource maps? I'm planning a trip down in europe this summer and then I would like to pre program a route, and if I understand you correctly, I must have the MapSource maps for this?

Cheers!
/Anders.
janebrink offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:00 pm

If you want to plan your trip comfortably on PC you'd best use the MapSource version.
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Confused » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:10 am

janebrink wrote:I'm planning a trip down in europe this summer and then I would like to pre program a route, and if I understand you correctly, I must have the MapSource maps for this?

Well... mapsource will allow you to plan your route on a PC as you stated.

But... In order to make use of that Mapsource functionality, your GPS must also be capable of "saving" the routes you planned. I'm not familiar with YOUR gps but some models don't allow you to transfer or even save routes you created in mapsource. Conversly, some models allow you transfer and save multiple routes from mapsource.

There are also some models that allow multiple routes to be planned and saved and all on the GPS." I mention that because it's not uncommon to plan route(s) that you like using mapsource only to find that when you put them in the GPS, you end up with a different route. That is because when you call up the route, the GPS does it's own recalculation based on the start and end points along with any via points you have added. The GPS recalculation will certainly route you through the points you have defined but may use different roads to go between them and the routing algorithms are not identical.
Confused offline

Postby cacsack » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:03 pm

Hi sorry to hijack the thread but I have a similar query! I'm off to Florida on Tuesday and it seems getting my TomTom to work with a USA map is proving difficult so I've borrowed my dad's Garmin Nuvi 1340.

I have a spare Micro SD card so am I right in saying that if I download the "image" of one of the USA maps on here and pop it on the SD card then put it into the device it will work? Is there anything else I need to do?
cacsack offline

Postby huntsman » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:21 pm

IF you download unlocked image just copy it your device and it works... streetmaps not lose any data even if it unlocked. go tutorial section and look map image names what you can use with your device...

Usualy mapname is Garmin\GMAPSUPP.IMG but some new firmwares allow also GMAPSUP1.IMG in SD-Card

and some devices allow Map\any_name.img
huntsman offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby p!xeldealer » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:16 pm

for nuvi 1340 you can use [SD]\Map\[any name].img
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby ph_paulissen » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:14 pm

hi group,
i got my first GPS yesterday. it is an Etrex 30.
I could place a better map than the in build one but I'm totally lost with all kind of maps available
where could i get a list of kind of maps (type of extension) and how to install them on the GPS.

anticipated thanks
ph_paulissen offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:46 pm

Use unlocked Image version of the map you desired, if available. The extracted file normally is named gmapsupp.img and has to be copied in folder Garmin on device or SD card.
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about Garmin