TomTom 510/710/910 Only Green Light ? Not charged   

TomTom 510/710/910 Only Green Light ? Not charged

Postby janusztracz » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:15 am

Hi.

If the solution that do not smell of burning electronics at 99% only need to connector correctly (not GND connect)
80% of tomtom's, which to us are getting damaged when the car is started. TomTom's are very sensitive. I say to each customer at the time the car is started tomtom was disconnected from the charger.

LB2B5WHvfAo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB2B5WHvfAo
janusztracz offline

Postby Downunder35m » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:40 am

This problem is not only old, but also quite well known.
Only problem is that in many cases not the connector is the problem but in fact the charging electronics.
There is a small protective diode or fuse (varies with the source you check) that tends to burn out if the battery is too old and get's faulty.
Result is the green light goes on but no charge to the battery.
Above video is good for most device using a docking station but wuite useless for the majority that only uses a simple USB connector.

One thing that must be mentioned is that even with proper instructions only people used to solder in very fine areas should even attempt to solder on their TT.
You need a proper temp regulated soldering iron with a needle tip - most users here won't even have a normal soldering iron, let alone the ols and kowledge to de-solder a connector with more than 3 connectors.
In case the above fix applies to your TT and you are not soldering SMD parts or similar on a regular base I strongly recommend to let someone fix it that know the stuff inside out.
If the TT is on top limited to internal memory only it is worth to think of adding a SD card at the same time, instructions can be found in our tutorial section.
Same for the battery, once you need to fix an old TT it is always good to invest 10bucks more and replace the old battery - after 3 years a good used recharable battery can be considered to be dead anyway.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby janusztracz » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:01 pm

Charging electronics repair.

Diode D5/D8 PSD05

LTC3455 Linera Technology 3455

3H4gvPaQqVY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H4gvPaQqVY
janusztracz offline

Postby Downunder35m » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:19 pm

The connector problem was also the reason why TT discontinued the auto power on feature.
A loose contact would cause constant restarts and annyoing screen messages.
You should check how long your battery lasts without external power, if under 10 minutes you should cosider a replacement as the charging of a bad battery is one of two reason for the charging circuit to fail.
The other being wrong/faulty chargers...
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Return to Tutorials