A freshly installed map is not working   

A freshly installed map is not working

Postby Downunder35m » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:21 pm

There are always the same new postings and threads when new maps come out,
I assume some of you know what I mean...
You have a question like:
I can't use the new map...
I get an error with the new map...
I can't select the new map...
Or simply: Not working...

In another attempt to reduce those useless postings, I will provide a set of info that will make life easier for you and the team.

Chapter one: What do I need to get it all working?
You will need a map that has a meta code available - the code is needed for the activation.
Another thing you need is a Navcore that is patched to accept downloaded maps!
If your device never has used illegal maps, or you updated the "application" through Home, your Navcore is not patched!
Also you need our tool of choice, FastActivate to get the maps working and/or to patch your Navcore.
Make sure you always use the latest available version!

Chapter two: Finding the right stuff...
All map related info can be found in the red, sticky map thread located in the general discussion section.
There will also be a link to the current version of FastActivate and the latest postcodes for GB and NL.
Please use the provided map chart to find out what version of a map you need.
The version numbers are always in two "blocks", for example 910.4892
The first part shows you the release version, they increase by 5 with every new release.
The second part gives the info about the included features in the map - this will affect what version of Navcore the map can be used!
The chart lists the map version number in relation to certain Navcore versions, simply check your Navcore version and select the map version accordingly.
Some Navcore versions are not listed, if you have a non listed Navcore you use the next lower version in the chart ;)

Chapter three: Putting it all together...
Round one: Installation of all onto an empty device.
This is the prefered method if a previous attempt to update failed and you are not sure why.
Connect your TT with the PC and update using Home until no more updates are offered - follow the instructions in Home, including the restarts!
After that you will not also have the latest official Navcore but also a correct ttgo.bif file, which contains the device info needed to activate the map.
Download the correct map version that covers the area you need and unpack to your device's root.
Please check if the map files are located with a folder in the root and not inside a sub folder!
Download FastActivate and unpack to the root of your device.
Start FastActivate and click through 1. 2. and 3.
A patching of Home is only necessary if you really need the device simulation, all other functions in Home, including downloads and updates work without patching.
You should check the report of FastActivate to see if all was done correct and no errors are reported.
To double check confirm a .dct file with the name of the map was created within the map folder.
Your device should now be ready to go.

Round two: Using a Navcore higher than the official version and install a new map.
You might have an older device and your Navcore won't allow the use of full featured maps.
The easiest way out if you want to use the better maps is to check the Navcore section of the forum for my Navcores with installer.
Simply check and follow the instructions within the first posting of the Navcore you want.
There is not much difference between the V9 Navcores, but I suggest to test the 9.485 first.
After installing my Navcore you can select all full featured maps from the map thread for the use on your device.
It will now also support LoquendoTTS voices, check the forum if interested.
As above, download the map of your choice and unpack to your device.
Make sure the map files are located within a folder in the root and not within another subfolder.
Download and unpack FastActivate to the root of your device.
Run FastActivate and click on 2. - you don't have to patch the Navcore as this was already done for you;)
A patching of Home is only necessary if you really need the device simulation, all other functions in Home, including downloads and updates work without patching.
You should check the report of FastActivate to see if all was done correct and no errors are reported.
To double check confirm a .dct file with the name of the map was created within the map folder.
Your device should now be ready to go.

Often accuring problems:
If you followed the instructions all should be well and running, if so skip this part ;)
In rare cases an original Navcore is not patched correctly.
So if your map has a correct .dct file you might have to download and use the SE files for your Navcore - also in the Navcore section.
Simply overwrite the files on your device with the files from the downloaded SE archive.

Another very common problem is that a user alread tried unseccesful to activate the map, resulting in an incorrect .dct file.
This usually only happens is a so called fake meta was used - they are spotted fast and removed from the forum.
So you should check the map thread for a confirmed meta code and not use "something you found somewhere" ;)
FastActivate won't overwrite existing meta codes to make sure original files and already working maps are not affected.
This means for a non working map you should check the map folder and delete all present .dct files before trying to activate the map again!

Final words:
The above should make sure you get all working just fine and without wasting time.
I tried to cover all you need to get your new map working, but it requires that you take your time reading the provided information, here and within the corresponding threads/forum sections.
In the rare case you still can't get it to work, double check the procedure and if in doubt do a hard reset (hold reset for 30+ sec, or on devices without a reset button hold the power button until the device restarts) followed by the TT clear flash tool.
After that a fresh install following the instructions and it has to work ;)
Although it might seem hard and confusing, it is a straight forward produre and I can tell you that if a 64 year old pensioner with barely any PC skills can do it, than you can do it too!

A last word for those having problems downloading our files:
All our files are hosted on servers that allow free downloads for everyone!
Some have speed and/or time restrictions, but you don't have to pay for any download!
If you end up with something offering you a downloader or access for money you clicked on an ad but not a download link!
Take your time to check the website and if still confused try Jdownloader - simply copy the download link offered in the forum into the clipboard and JD will guide you through the rest.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Return to Tutorials