customising maps with Mapsource   

customising maps with Mapsource

Postby seamusmcloughlin » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:56 pm

Hi All,
I've tried to have a look around the different sections for the answer to my question but so far without success which is why I'm throwing this question out there.

Does anybody know of a well documented / detailed tutorial / video on how to use Mapsource to create a custom map?

Let me explain

I anticipate installing for example Mapsource 2017.10 ( or 2017.20) on the PC and loading the full EU map ( which may or may not be locked) . However what I'm really after is to used this FULL EU map to create for example a map for say Scotland only BUT that has all the SAME content that would be available on any of the other standalone maps (ie: France, Iberia, DACH etc etc) available in the maps section such as being routeable, POI's etc etc (ie: again exactly the same as any of the standalone maps mentioned) . I also want to be able to combine this customised map with say the JVC lane assist files ...for full junction view.

What I'm typically looking at would be something like http://gpsunderground.com/forum/garmin-maps/38690-garmin-citynavigator-europe-nt-unicode-2017-20-a.html# and post #5.

Bear in mind that i will NOT be doing this while connect to the Navi device as it's a Kenwood I.C.E. head unit with inbuilt Garmin support ( supports unicode varient of mapping). I could typically take a standalone unicode map source and install it no problem but with maps getting bigger and running out of space on the device , I now need to start looking at customised maps.

Is this even feasible?

Kind Regards

S
seamusmcloughlin offline

Re: customising maps with Mapsource

Postby kolokythas » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:10 pm

Dear friend! I have read carefully your message but in fact is not so clear what are you looking for! Anyway i will try to give you some answers! In the Mapsource it will appear the whole map that you installed example Europe as you described but in fact with Mapinstall you may choose partial installment of the map then there you may choose any part of the map that you need only.
As second option is that you may create as above a map and install it ex. on a USB stick as .img file then choose any othe customised map again as .img and with Gmaptool you may combined the two maps together in a new one.
As much it concerns the JCV files unfortunately the only work as a pair with their original map any other combination may cause a non functional JCV view.
Waiting your answer i hope to helped you somehow!
kolokythas offline

Postby seamusmcloughlin » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:03 pm

Hi Kolokythas,
Thanks for the quick reply
you mentioned " but in fact with Mapinstall you may choose partial installment of the map then there you may choose any part of the map that you need only." ....This sounds very similar to what I'm look for , is there any detailed tutorial (ie: step 1) ..., step2)..., etc etc ) which could give me the steps to achieve this . I have already installed City Navigator Europe NTU 2017.20

Regards

S
seamusmcloughlin offline

Postby kolokythas » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:44 am

I will try to describe the procedure that i mentioned.
1.First create a USB stick with the same directories and files of your device so when it will be connected to the PC and open the MapInstall or Basecamp it will be recognised as your device or you may coneect directly your device.
2.When you open the MapInstall and your device is already recognised press continue then it will appear something like this
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

In the left are all the installed maps on Mapsource and on the right all the areas that the selected map is covered.So you press Advance/Partial Install and then appears something like

Here with the right button of the mouse you may choose to deselect all the areas that you dont need and try to keep the areas that you need. In the bottom appears the size of all selected maps.Something like that

As you can notice i choose only Spain so just press the continue and your map will be created either on the USB or your device that is connected
The procedure is simple ! Just have in mind the created map it may need again unlocking sometimes it just depends how you unlock the map on Mapsource.
kolokythas offline

Postby seamusmcloughlin » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:51 am

Hi Kolokythas,
I've copied everything into a Fat32 USB stick as you suggested above but unfortunately Mapinstall doesn't recognise the USB stick (btw I did install the garmin usb drivers ...64bit on Win10)

contents of USB can be seen at

https://files.fm/u/jb6a8825

thanks again

S
seamusmcloughlin offline

Postby kolokythas » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:32 pm

So the content of the USB is correct the problem should be on your drivers.
If you try with your device again it will not be recognized i suppose!
Before the Mapinstall try also with BaseCamp is the same
kolokythas offline

Postby seamusmcloughlin » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:17 pm

Sorted !!

Switched from using USB stick to SD card , then uninstalled Garmin USB drivers , launched Mapinstall and it recognised the SD card.

I've created the maps I wanted successfully but and additional question I'd like to ask.

In "theory", would / should this newly created customised Map work with the lane assist Full portrait file "D3048230A.jvc" (full European JVC file from Europe 2017.20 NTU collection), obviously only working in the areas which are within my customised map.

regards & thanks

S
seamusmcloughlin offline

Postby kolokythas » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:51 am

In fact it should work together with the combined JCV file and only for the areas that you have on the map just the JCV file contain much more areas.
kolokythas offline

Return to General Discussions about Garmin