Rosen P11 Unit Max SD Card Size?   

Rosen P11 Unit Max SD Card Size?

Postby MrVivona » Sun May 01, 2016 9:28 pm

I have a Rosen Electronics P11 navigation system in my Hyundai Santa Fe. The unit is a Rosen P11 Primo USA and the nngnavi.exe file properties report it as version 9.2.0.194764. The last time I updated the maps through Naviextras, the total of all file sizes grew larger than 4GB. I tried an 8GB card, but it would load (yes, formatted as FAT32). I tried to find out through Rosen support if the unit could handle an 8GB card, but it was like talking to a child. They sent me another 4GB card loaded with old maps. I gave up with Rosen support and tried to fix the problem myself. What I found is that the Naviextras updating program had installed new DEM file without deleting the old DEM file which had a different name. Having both DEM files, plus the maps for both the US and Canada, had increased the package beyond 4GB.

What still concerns me is that before updating the maps, the original SD card had 384 files on it, totaling 2.52GB. After the Naviextras update (after first deleting the old DEM file and not adding Canada) the file count grew to 487, totaling 3.39GB. Most of this increase was in the nng\content\map folder where, in addition to the existing FBL files, 105 new files were added during the update (FPA and FSP files) adding .69GB to the folder. I have researched and found that these are new files that add Point Addressing (address map points instead of street address interpolation) and Historical Speed and Traffic information. These are great improvements, but they will limit my future expandability as they grow in size.

I did a search on this forum and have found a few references to Rosen unit SD card size, but no specific solutions. Is there a way to get this unit to recognize an 8GB card?
MrVivona offline

Re: Rosen P11 Unit Max SD Card Size?

Postby jtrosky » Sun May 01, 2016 11:45 pm

I've successfully used 16gb SD cards in my GM1010 (haven't tried anything larger yet). Are you sure it's a limitation with the Rosen unit itself and not the SD card reader or something to do with Naviextras (I used a version of Primo and maps downloaded from here)? It could be that your 1010 model has different SD card readers in it, but that seems strange...

The cards I have used were all SDHC cards.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk
jtrosky offline

Postby jtrosky » Mon May 02, 2016 1:18 am

Actually, I just realized that you are probably trying to use the "official" Rosen iGo application on an 8gn card, which won't work because the "official" Rosen iGo application is "locked" to the SD card that it came on (via SD card serial number).

What you need is a cr@cked version of iGo. Then you can put it only any SD card you wish, including 8, 16 and maybe even 32gb SD cards (haven't tried 32gb cards yet).

Here is a link to a cr@cked version (it's also a newer version). I also have some cool skins, additional TTS voices and current maps if interested.

Anyway, here is a link to a newer, cr@cked version of iGo:

[Please Register or Login to download file]

You can use your existing content (maps, etc) until I get you some updated maps. Also, you want to use the "WD" executable (rename it to nngnavi.exe). The CN executable is for Chinese maps or something...

This will allow you to use any SD card you want... Hopefully, this helps!

jtrosky offline

Postby MrVivona » Mon May 02, 2016 4:08 am

Yes, I'm using the official Rosen iGo application. If I use the cracked version, will I still be able to buy and download updated maps and POIs from Naviextras? I'm currently running the 2014 maps.
MrVivona offline

Postby jtrosky » Mon May 02, 2016 9:44 am

You would not be able to use NaviExtras with the cr@cked version. You can, however, download the updated maps directly from this and other GPS-related sites.

If you are worried about being "official" and "doing the right thing" and paying for the maps, you could always pay for them using your official Rosen GPS card. You could then copy them from the Rosen SD card to your cr@cked app SD card... Or, since you did pay for them, just download them from one of these sites (since you paid for them already)....

It's nice not being "tied" to the original SD card. Plus, like I said, the cr@cked version is a lot newer than the Rosen version (although, it's not much different - mostly just bug fixes probably).

jtrosky offline

Postby jtrosky » Wed May 04, 2016 1:51 pm

@MrVivorna - any luck with a SD card over 4GB? Another easy way to test is to put some .mp3 on an 8gb SD card and put the card into the media SD slot (assuming your model has both a GPS SD slot and a media SD slot like the GM10101's). I use the media SD slot for video files (movies), which I can then send to the monitors that I installed into my stock headrests. Since the Rosen is a true "dual zone" head-unit, I can send movies to the headrest monitors (they get audio via wireless IR headphones) while doing something else up front (XM, radio, navigation, etc). Pretty cool stuff - especially since my car (2012 Impala) didn't even have an option for a navigation system from the factory. You could also play the movies to all screens (headunit and headrest monitors) and have the audio come out of the car speakers.

These Rosen units are actually really flexible. They seem to get a "bad rap" online from many people for some reason. Personally, it's been a great, trouble-free headunit for me!

jtrosky offline

Postby MrVivona » Sun May 08, 2016 5:01 am

I haven't had the opportunity to check to see if my Rosen will take over 4GB. When I get a chance, I'll simply put the iGo 8 files you sent me on an 8GB SD card and see if it loads. If I can't get my Rosen to recognize over 4GB, when it comes to map upgrade time if the new maps cause the size to exceed 4GB my first workaround will be to delete the DEM file. It's nice, but not mandatory, for navigation. If that's not enough, I can delete those states that I'm not likely to visit. The 2014 maps I have are still fairly current, so I haven't had the reason to upgrade yet.
MrVivona offline

Postby MrVivona » Mon May 09, 2016 4:56 am

I just tried copying the iGo 8 files onto an 8GB SD card and it loaded and ran just fine. So, the 4GB limitation is tied to the Rosen licensed version, or more likely, the SD card provided by Rosen.

For over a year I had tried repeatedly to get Rosen to simply swap my card for an 8GB one, but they sent me a 4GB chip for a P41 unit and it contained an incomplete set of files and no license. I returned that card and asked again for an 8GB P11 card and they said they would send me a 4GB P11 card instead, but it at least it would have updated software. That certainly wouldn't have solved my map file size problem, but I asked them if the updated software would at least fix the touchscreen calibration issue I had and they said that would require replacing the LCD screen. At that point I could see that they didn't have a clue and gave up trying to get a resolution through them. Rosen has consistently had the worst technical support I have ever experienced. Earlier problems I had with my Rosen unit were handled in a similar clueless manner. I had to solve those problems myself.

When I'm ready to upgrade maps, and if the full install exceeds 4GB, I will try using the unofficial iGo Primo version on an 8GB card and put the purchased maps on that chip. Though I don't really need to upgrade the maps at this time, if I get some time to experiment I may try my current maps with the unofficial Primo version on an 8GB card just to see how it would work. What I don't know is, when I buy the next map upgrade, if Naviextras will even allow me to download more than 4GB because my Naviextras purchase would be tied to my Rosen SD card. What I can do is download part of the USA maps, copy those to my hard drive, then delete them from the SD card and copy the rest of the USA. That way, I will eventually have all the maps downloaded.
MrVivona offline

Postby jtrosky » Mon May 09, 2016 2:37 pm

Yes, the problem with the genuine Rosen SD card is that the the Primo application is not cr@cked - and it's tied to the serial number on the SD card.

Personally, I would just used the cr@cked version of Primo and just download the maps from one of these forums like everyone else does.

If you want to be "legit" and pay NNG for the maps, you can still go through the upgrade process with the genuine Rosen SD card - but don't actually use it. At least this way, you've still paid for the maps and will have a clear conscious, but you can put the app and maps on any SD card that you want to. Or, since you've already paid for current the Rosen SD card, you can just use the cr@cked app with your current maps - that way you're still legit, but can put the app and maps on any SD card you want. It's just the application that locked to the SD card - not the maps.

Besides the capacity issue, the other problem is that if your genuine Rosen SD card fails for whatever reason, you're SOL. Whereas by using the cr@cked version, you can make a backup and then just copy it to a new SD card if something happens to the SD card.

jtrosky offline

Postby MrVivona » Wed May 11, 2016 9:12 pm

I am going to try the cr@cked version of Primo on my 8GB card. I have my licensed Rosen SD card files copied to a folder on my PC hard drive, including my purchased maps. Wouldn't it be easiest to just make of copy of that folder and then add/delete/replace the files needed to make it a cr@cked version? If so, which files would I add/delete/replace with ones in the .rar file you sent me? I know I have to swap out nngnavi.exe, but I assume I have to changeout device and license files, too. I'm just not sure which ones. At this point, I'm trying to keep it simple, so I'm not interested in trying alternate skins or TTS voices.
MrVivona offline

Postby jtrosky » Thu May 12, 2016 1:15 pm

Just an FYI - I sent you iGO 8 - not iGo Primo. I'm sure you can find Primo 2.4.405512 on the site somewhere, but it not, I posted a link below. I *think* that you should only need to replace the following files:

nngnavi.exe
data.zip
branding.zip (if present)
license (folder)
ux (folder)

But honestly, it might be easier to extract the archive below and then just move your entire "content" folder over to it.

[Please Register or Login to download file]

You want to use the WD executable (other one is for Chinese maps) - just rename it to "nngnavi.exe".

jtrosky offline

Postby MrVivona » Sun May 15, 2016 5:46 am

I wanted to make up a card with the minimum number of files for simplicity and minimum loading time, so I used the renamed cr@cked nngnavi.exe, used my content, save and tts_loq_7 folders (and files within) from the Rosen chip, the data.zip and licenses from your RAR file, (though I still need to remove each license to see if it is actually needed). After a few non-starts, and "user interface not supported" messages, I was able to get it to work by tweaking the system.ini file that I had copied over from the Rosen save file. My Rosen unit now works fine with a 16GB SD card. The only problem I had is I tried exiting with the exit icon and it would not restart even after a power off/on cycle. I had to delete an entry in the system.ini file and add a sys.txt file with the entry "[interface]show_exit=0" to remove the exit button. It works fine now with my maps from the Rosen card.

Thanks for all your help!!
MrVivona offline

Postby jtrosky » Sun May 15, 2016 9:21 am

Cool - glad you got it all working! If you want to restart iGo after using the exit button, you just have to touch the middle of the Rosen "red sky" screen - after a few seconds, iGo will restart. Or, if you wait 60 seconds or so after shutting the car off (and opening a door if your car keeps the radio on until you open a door), it will start automatically the next time you start the car (or put the car in ACC mode).

At least that is how it works on the GM version of the 1010. But normally, there is really no reason to exit the app anyway - I just activated the power button for testing purposes (to be able to restart the navi app quickly and easily).

jtrosky offline

Postby jtrosky » Sun May 15, 2016 11:35 am

Oh - by the way, I've found that upgrading to a Class 10 SD card does significantly reduce the amount of time it takes for Primo to start up. Now that you can use whatever SD card you want, it might be a nice upgrade!

I was doing some testing on my "bench setup" (a Rosen 1010 powered by an old PC power supply in my lab/office) and was testing with a Class 4 SD card - I thought Primo hung during startup becuase it was so much slower to start compared to the same setup on a Class 10 SD card! :-)

I do have all US and Canada maps on the SD card though. As well as very detailed .dem file, buildings, etc... I expected the Class 4 to be slower, but didn't quite expect the difference to be so noticeable for something like a GPS application!

jtrosky offline

Postby upss » Sun May 15, 2016 5:39 pm

@jtrosky Hi, I am wondering what kind of starting times do you have and what are the differences between the two SDs? I also use Class 4 SD and my starting time on my generic 2Din CE Primo 2.4, from the time Primo starts until I see the Navigation Menu it takes ~37 seconds. It seems that no matter what I try (removing different files), I cannot make it start any faster, the only thing I didn't try is a Class 10 SD.

I don't understand why does it take so long to start the Primo on this 2Din unit. My 10 year old Mio C320 with only 64Mb starts in ~20 seconds loading from an also 10 year old 2GB SD.
upss offline

Next

Return to General Discussions about iGO core