Rosen P11 Not Loading Touchscreen Calibration   

Rosen P11 Not Loading Touchscreen Calibration

Postby MrVivona » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:52 pm

I have a Rosen Electronics P11 navigation system in my Hyundai Santa Fe. The unit is a Rosen P11 Primo USA and the nngnavi.exe file properties report it as version 9.2.0.194764.

If I go through the touchscreen calibration procedure, it writes a touch.cfg file to the root directory of the SD chip and the screen calibrates correctly as long as the unit stays powered up. However, once I power down and back up, the screen goes back to being not calibrated and touches are about 1/2" off from where they should be. So, the problem is that even though a touch.cfg file is written, it is not read by the program upon boot up.

Rosen cannot provide a solution (typical), so I need to fix it myself. Is the touch.cfg file in the correct location at the root directory of the SD chip, or should it be in a different folder? Is there a command that I can add to the sys.txt file that will point to the touch.cfg file, or a sys.txt command that I can add that provides the touch calibration coordinates that are stored in the touch.cfg file?
MrVivona offline

Re: Rosen P11 Not Loading Touchscreen Calibration

Postby Fatboyfun » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:21 pm

Does the config file get deleted when the device is rebooted?
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby MrVivona » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:27 am

Fatboyfun wrote:Does the config file get deleted when the device is rebooted?
No, the touch.cfg file remains.
MrVivona offline

Postby MrVivona » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:31 am

For those with igo Primo running on an automotive nav system running WinCE, where does your touch.cfg file reside? In the SD card root folder, or somewhere else?
MrVivona offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:03 am

Try making a copy of it and put it in various places around the system, like in the Windows directory, root of the flash disk etc
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby jtrosky » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:26 pm

IS the touchscreen off just in Primo or is it off for radio functions as well? If just in Primo, have you tried running the Primo calibration? With my Rosen GM1010-P11, there is a screen calibration in the radio setup and a different one in Primo itself. I don't have any issues with the calibration on my unit (and the touch.cfg file is created in the root directory on mine as well).
jtrosky offline

Postby MrVivona » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:27 am

The touchscreen calibration is off in both Primo and for the audio functions. They are calibrated by two separate setup procedures.

1. If I calibrate the audio screen, it will stay calibrated through a power off-on cycle... except when RDS is activated for FM. When RDS is activated, the audio screen calibration does not load upon bootup. So, technically, the workaround would be to leave RDS turned off, but my wife likes having that feature and touchscreen calibration is not as critical as it is in navigation.

2. If I calibrate the navigation screen through Primo, the screen stays calibration until a power off-on cycle. So, it appears that during bootup, the touch.cfg file is not being read.

Because both the audio and Primo functions have a problem with reading their respective calibration files, I suspect the problem may be with the software within the unit and not the Primo software on the SD chip. I don't know how I can access the files within the unit. It may all be contained in a flashed firmware ROM.

When I first bought the unit new and complained about the touchscreen problem, Rosen support swapped out the unit and the replacement behaved exactly the same. Every attempt since then to get Rosen to acknowledge the problem and provide a solution has been an exercise in futility. They act as if they have no idea of what I'm talking about. Now that the warranty has expired, I'm on my own.
MrVivona offline

Postby MrVivona » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:37 pm

Since a screen calibration will stay active until power down, I imagine that a workaround would be to have a script or batch file run at bootup that would automatically go through the screen calibration procedure. I don't know what form of file that would be to get it to auto-run from the SD card. Any ideas?

Another idea. The mis-calibration causes the touches to become progressively more out of registration as you go out from the center of the screen. For example, the screen registers okay in the very center, but at the far left side of the screen, a touch registers about 1/2" further to the left of the touched point. The same happens to the right of center, where a touch at the far left of the screen registers 1/2" to the right of the touched point. So, if I could shrink the display it might line things up. Is there way to do this?

I'd link some screen shots, but they don't work for me. Is there some kind of forum limit for new users?
MrVivona offline

Postby jtrosky » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:21 pm

What I don't understand is why you even needed to use the calibration at all. I've had probably 5 GM1010-P11 units and never even had to calibrate any of them at all. And you had the same issue with two different units? Sure sounds like a "bug" with that specific model if they both needed to be calibrated to work properly.
jtrosky offline

Postby MrVivona » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:46 pm

jtrosky wrote:What I don't understand is why you even needed to use the calibration at all. I've had probably 5 GM1010-P11 units and never even had to calibrate any of them at all. And you had the same issue with two different units? Sure sounds like a "bug" with that specific model if they both needed to be calibrated to work properly.
You are most likely correct that the problem is with the specific model. If the displays and the touchscreen grid are the same, there is no need to calibrate. With the DS-HY1010-P11 unit I have, touches were off quite a bit when I first received the unit, so I ran through the calibration procedures and that fixed it. Only problem was that the calibration only lasted until the next bootup.

I had tried multiple times over the three-year warranty period to get the issue resolved with Rosen and their installer, but their tech support is either totally incompetent, or they purposely act that way when they do not want to fix a problem. For example, the unit also grossly overdrove the vehicle's power amplifer. They acted as if they didn't understand the problem (background hiss, horrible bleed-through at zero volume, reaching audio clipping at 1/2 volume and loud clicks when pressing buttons) then finally said that they no longer sold this model so they weren't going to engineer a solution for me. I had to add a line output converter between the Rosen and the amplifier and that fixed all audio problems. It was the same with the touchscreen calibration - once they swapped out the unit, they stopped responding to my service requests. My guess is that there is a problem with the unit's firmware and a firmware upgrade can only be done by physically opening the unit and changing out a ROM chip. That can only happen if a new firmware chip was released.

I am a skilled electronics and computer technician with decades of experience, but without documentation it is impossible to fix this problem. It would take the original manufacturer developing a firmware upgrade first, and I doubt they will do that, especially when Rosen will not request it.

So, trust me that the problem is real. I'm just trying to find a workaround.
MrVivona offline

Postby jtrosky » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:39 pm

@MrVivona - in case you are still around and still having this issue, I have found a solution!

Honestly, I never really even knew that the issue existed - and I've been messing with these Rosen units for years. However, after doing some thorough testing after reading your posts about the issue, I found that I too had the slight screen calibration issues on my Rosen DS-GM1010-P11 units! If I ran a calibration from within Primo, it fixed the issue until I restarted the unit - then the calibration issues were back (just like you experienced). In my case, with the GM1010 units, the issue is really only apparent when trying to type the characters at the very ends of the soft keyboard, so while it's really not a major issue (like I said, I never even noticed it until I specifically looked for it), I definitely did identify the same issue - and have a fix! :-)

Also, I found that the same issue existed regardless of whether I used iGo 8 or iGo Primo (but both are fixed permanently with this procedure).

Here is how I eventually fixed it... You'll need an iGo 8 SD card for this.

I boot up with unit with the iGo 8 GPS SD card *removed*. This causes the unit to go to the calibration screen automatically when you switch over to the navigation mode. At this point, re-insert the iGo 8 GPS card. Then proceed with the screen calibration routine. After complete, you'll be taken into iGo 8 at this point and the screen calibration is correct. Now, this is the important step - and only works with iGo 8 for some reason - you need to exit the iGo 8 application. When you do this, it causes the unit to do some sort of reset. It's this reset that *apparently* causes the unit to write the screen calibration to the internal storage of the Rosen unit (at least, I'm assuming that's what happens).

From this point on, I've found that the screen calibration "sticks" between power cycles (whereas it didn't "stick" if I just ran the calibration from within Primo). And the calibration will "stick" regardless if you run iGo 8 or iGo Primo from this point on.

I've tested this procedure on multiple Rosen DS-GM1010-P11's and it's worked with every one. I don't think that there is anything "special" about my iGo 8 SD card, but if you'd like a link to download the contents, PM me.

Hope this is helpful - I know that you've been fighting the issue for some time now! :-) I'll send you a PM with a link to this post as well, just you get alerted.

Please report whether or not it works for you.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk
jtrosky offline

Postby MrVivona » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:06 pm

Wow, this is the first time I've had anyone come up with a fix. Yes, please PM me the link to download the contents of your iGo 8 SD card and I'll give it a try and report the results.

Also, please check if the navigation screen calibration fix keeps the calibration during a power-cycle if RDS is activated in the Rosen FM radio function.
MrVivona offline

Postby jtrosky » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:14 pm

Ok, sent the SD card contents to you via PM (Dropbox Link).

Regarding the RDS - I did have RDS active when I tried this. But I never noticed any issues related to the RDS setting on the GM model... Also, I never had any calibration-related issues on the audio-side of things - that always worked fine. Just had the minor calibration issues with the navigation side of things - really, it only affected the first few and last few characters on the keyboard - if you pressed them in the center, they worked fine - it was only an issue if you pressed them near the end of the keys.

Curious to see if this works on your non-GM 1010-P11 unit...
jtrosky offline

Postby MrVivona » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:23 pm

I downloaded the zip file and extracted it to the root of an SD card. I then powered up the Rosen with the SD card removed and got the screen calibration prompt. I inserted the iGo 8 SD card and went through the calibration procedure. Navigation then came up and presented me with the initial setup screens. I got through 3 of 4 setup questions and received a dialog box saying the maps were not up date and it would not let me go any further. Just to test anyway, I shut down, changed back to my Primo SD card, and the calibration was still off as much as before.

I don't know what would have happened if I had your map files. All I would need is just one state, not the full US, to get it to continue the setup. I think it will work with the basemap, the three NorthAmerica*.hnr files and the files for the selected state. At least that is the way it is in Primo. iGo 8 may be different. If you could provide the files for Florida, I'll try it again.

Also, to clarify, when you say "exit the iGo 8 application" do you mean simply switch to FM or another audio choice, or does iGo 8 actually have an exit function in the application? There is no such exit function in Primo.
MrVivona offline

Postby jtrosky » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:28 pm

Ok, hang tight... What I've found is that this really has nothing to do with iGo8 specifically. Apparently, one of my poi files is corrupt - and that is causing iGo8 to "crash" when you exit. I'm in the process of determining which .poi file it is. So, the key here is that we need to make iGo crash in order to permanently set the screen calibration! :-) When it crashes, it causes the Rosen navigation side to go through some sort of "reset" (get a white screen an a "loading..." bar - then it comes back to the "red sky" Rosen screen). So we just need to find a repeatable way to make iGo crash (whether it be iGo 8 or Primo).

Bear with me - let me figure out which .poi file is bad on my iGo 8 card and then I'll send you the required files to make it crash for you as well (hopefully).

Obviously, I found this by complete accident. I just wanted to see if I had the same issue in iGo8 (screen calibration off), which I did. However, when I exiting iGo8 (i have sys.txt configured to show exit button), it caused my unit to crash and the screen calibration has been fine since.

Anyway, will be back in touch shortly.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk
jtrosky offline

Next

Return to General Discussions about iGO core