FAQ: Garmin NSF4 (VW Maps & More)   

This Section is for General discussion and help for Navigon GPS Systems.

Postby Romanji » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:42 pm

As a proud CNG Up owner, I see there's a surprising lack of info about this satnav, so...

Differences between models
Early run (through mid 2013?) is Navigon branded and has half the RAM of the Garmin model. The Garmin is thus, also in practice, considered superior.

Trip computer doesn't see the car, audio may or may not work, but charges fine
Clean the contacts (plug and socket) of both ends of the dock arm; the car side is generally at fault.

Can it be used standalone?
Yes, any standard USB charger (data lines shorted together) will not trigger PC connection mode, and in fact you can buy an official set of charger and suction cup!

Can you hack it into a car that doesn't support it?
Yes, as long as you're using a compatible VW radio (the nav connects through it). If you're willing to drill the dashboard you already have, it can be done for less than 500 €, or so I heard...

This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Can you create your own POIs?
Mostly not; you can use CSV files (with matching name BMP, transparency allowed but don't ask me how) in the MyPOIs folder in this format:
Code: Select all
long.dddddd,lat.dddddd,title ,PHONENUMBER=phone number~description
, but they're clearly second-class:
- They can only be accessed searched for if you're (physically or in your by-city search) within 50 km;
- There's a limit of files and entries per file, though it can be edited in a settings text file;
- No proximity or speed alarms like in a real Garmin
And no, there's no known editor for POM files; Navigon used to sell a PoiWarner program but it dates back to 2006...

Can you freely change skins/unlock features exclusive to different fuels/use it without owning a compatible car?
You can hack the vehicle detection, indeed:
-Create an empty file in the root BrandDevice.reg to reset the pairing on next boot;
-Also create a file VwBrandDevice\Settings\UserSettingsDevMode.default:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='iso-8859-1'?>
<Settings>
  <Active>1</Active>
  <VehicleIdentificationNumber>WVWZZZAAZFZ696969</VehicleIdentificationNumber>
</Settings>

The questions that'll come up will be hard ;) You can review the configuration picked up from your car (or manually entered) by scrolling all the way down the Navi>Options>Settings>Options>About dialog!

Can you backup/edit on PC your favorites/recents?
No to the second question, yes to the first one: edit your autorunce.mscr file, and replace the CheckForMarkerFiles section:
Sub CheckForMarkerFiles

fAvviaBackup = "\My Flash Disk\SalvaPreferiti.txt"
   fAvviaReset = "\My Flash Disk\ResettaNavigatore.txt"
   fAvviaRipristino = "\My Flash Disk\InstallaPreferiti.txt"

If ( FileExists(fAvviaBackup) )
      # elimina flag
      SetFileAttribute(fAvviaBackup, "readonly", FALSE)
      Delete(fAvviaBackup)

# Copia file dalla partizione nascosta      
      MkDir("\My Flash Disk\BackupPreferiti")
      Copy("\MN Settings\Favorites.store", "\My Flash Disk\BackupPreferiti\Favorites.store", TRUE)
      Copy("\MN Settings\Favorites.old", "\My Flash Disk\BackupPreferiti\Favorites.old", TRUE)
      Copy("\MN Settings\RecentTargets.store", "\My Flash Disk\BackupPreferiti\RecentTargets.store", TRUE)
      Copy("\MN Settings\RecentTargets.old", "\My Flash Disk\BackupPreferiti\RecentTargets.old", TRUE)
   EndIf

If ( FileExists(fAvviaReset) )
      # elimina flag
      SetFileAttribute(fAvviaReset, "readonly", FALSE)
      Delete(fAvviaReset)

# elimina impostazioni dalla partizione nascosta
      DelTree("\MN Settings\*.*")

# elimina screenshot
      DelTree("\My Flash Disk\ScreenShots\*.*")

# elimina crash dump (non creati con questo initscript??)
      DelTree("\My Flash Disk\NAVIGON\ErrorReporter\*.*")

# elimina percorsi preinstallati
      DelTree("\My Flash Disk\NAVIGON\ExampleRoutes\*.*")
      # elimina percorsi registrati
      DelTree("\My Flash Disk\NAVIGON\Tracks\*.*")

Run("\My Flash Disk\Reset.exe")
   EndIf

If ( FileExists(fAvviaRipristino) )
      # elimina flag
      SetFileAttribute(fAvviaRipristino, "readonly", FALSE)
      Delete(fAvviaRipristino)

# Copia file alla partizione nascosta      
      WriteFile("\My Flash Disk\BackupPreferiti\StatoRipristino.txt", "iniziato", FALSE)
      Copy("\My Flash Disk\BackupPreferiti\Favorites.store", "\MN Settings\Favorites.store", TRUE)
      Copy("\My Flash Disk\BackupPreferiti\Favorites.old", "\MN Settings\Favorites.old", TRUE)
      Copy("\My Flash Disk\BackupPreferiti\RecentTargets.store", "\MN Settings\RecentTargets.store", TRUE)
      Copy("\My Flash Disk\BackupPreferiti\RecentTargets.old", "\MN Settings\RecentTargets.old", TRUE)
      WriteFile("\My Flash Disk\BackupPreferiti\StatoRipristino.txt", "completato", FALSE)
      Run("\My Flash Disk\Reset.exe")
   EndIf
EndSub

Then you'll be able to copy recents and favorites from the hidden partition by creating an empty SalvaPreferiti.txt in the root of the internal memory, ejecting and letting your device boot, then reconnecting it!
Copy them back by creating InstallaPreferiti.txt! :023:

Ask Me Anything!
Romanji offline

Postby boto » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:56 am

I tried to upgrade my NFS4 VW maps + more to Q1.2017 map but this did not work as expected.
After boot sequence I have the "Garmin software cannot start ..." in all languages?
I have done the restore with the Navigon Fresh software but with no result.
I format the internal storage to do a fresh install by copying back all the backup files with no succes.

Please help.
boto offline

Re: FAQ: Garmin NSF4 (VW Maps & More)

Postby Romanji » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:31 pm

boto wrote:I tried to upgrade my NFS4 VW maps + more to Q1.2017 map but this did not work as expected.
After boot sequence I have the "Garmin software cannot start ..." in all languages?
I have done the restore with the Navigon Fresh software but with no result.
I format the internal storage to do a fresh install by copying back all the backup files with no succes.

Please help.

To be honest I have never seen that error, so I have no real idea... :(

Can you still access the internal storage via USB?
Basically, there are at least 3 partitions: 1- mass storage (the one you see via USB) 2- MN Settings (has your favorites/recents and some extra stuff) 3- Windows base sytem

The factory reset with Fresh should in theory repair at least 1 and 3, but I don't remember much anymore and it certainly requires some cooperation by the device -- there may or may not be a bootloader menu to force reflashing the image (which is part of the multi-gigabyte download for the factory reset) but it's very invasive, may cause further damage, and may not even exist...
Romanji offline

Postby boto » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:52 am

Duplicate
Last edited by boto on Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
boto offline

Postby boto » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:53 am

Romanji wrote:
To be honest I have never seen that error, so I have no real idea... :(

Can you still access the internal storage via USB?
Basically, there are at least 3 partitions: 1- mass storage (the one you see via USB) 2- MN Settings (has your favorites/recents and some extra stuff) 3- Windows base sytem

I have access to internal storage but I have now only 1 partition. Could you please send me informations for creating from zero my 3 partitions (type, name, size) with diskpart?
It's probably my problem ?
Strange because the recover process from Fresh software recognize my PID-V2 and goes to the end of the process ...
Thanks by advance for taking a bit of your time :-)
boto offline

Postby Romanji » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:26 am

boto wrote:I have access to internal storage but I have now only 1 partition. Could you please send me informations for creating from zero my 3 partitions (type, name, size) with diskpart?
It's probably my problem ?

Oh, it's perfectly normal to only see 1 partition on the computer:
You don't get access to the internal memory like it was a USB hard drive, but the device is programmed to appear as a disk with only the main partition (compare this to connecting your phone to a PC, you don't normally see the system files)
Romanji offline

Postby theoneleet » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:08 pm

Hi
Can someone post a backup for Garmin 4NSF (navigon) software?
theoneleet offline

Return to General Discussion about Navigon