2DIN Radio/GPS - Automatically lowering Radio volume when GPS TTS is on   

2DIN Radio/GPS - Automatically lowering Radio volume when GPS TTS is on

Postby upss » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:36 am

Does anyone know a way for the WinCE iGO Primo 2.4 to automatically lower the Radio volume when the GPS TTS comes on? I believe the Primo can control the OS volume output so it can be accomplished. If we can figure this out then this feature could benefit most 2DIN systems users.

In my case and most other people, when you buy a cheep Chinese 2DIN system, the GPS software is optional. Even if you purchase the software together with the hardware, it uses a generic iGO which is not configured specifically for any hardware. I know that this feature is available on some custom Radio/GPS systems where the iGO is specifically configured for a specific hardware. If that is the case, I don't see a reason why we shouldn't be able to duplicate it.
upss offline

Re: 2DIN Radio/GPS - Automatically lowering Radio volume when GPS TTS is on

Postby katastrofe » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:44 am

That feature is controlled in the data.zip from a device that runs official Primo (like a Clarion)
So you need such official data.zip.
katastrofe offline

Premium Member

Postby jtrosky » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:23 am

My understanding of this (which could be wrong) is that you cannot change this from within iGo - it's built into the hardware design.

I once owned a Chinese head-unit that did the same thing (completely cut out the music while iGo instructions were given) - like you, I hated it - was really annoying.

I then upgraded to a "name brand" head-unit (Rosen DS-GM1010-P11) and it only lowers the volume of the music. What I've learned from the Rosen is that the GPS function is *completely* separate from the rest of the unit functions - I believe that it's actually two completely separate operating systems in the unit (whether or not they are the same operating system, I don't know). My understanding is that the hardware is what decides what to do with the music when a GPS instruction is given - I don't think that there is anyway that you can control or configure this behaviour.

Again, this is at least how it is on the Rosen unit - I can't say for sure about other units, but I suspect they are a similar design. Then again, maybe the Rosen unit is different from the Chinese units - it also has completely separate, independent volume levels for the GPS function and all other functions in the radio itself (nothing to do with iGo volume levels).

I've disassembled my Rosen unit and there is a completely separate "module" for the GPS - everything (OS, RAM, CPU, etc) for the GPS function is embedded on that "module" and is completely separate from the rest of the unit. I was kind of surprised - I assumed that it was all one big Windows-CE OS for the radio functions and the GPS functions, but that doesn't appear to be the case - even if I boot into the GPS Windows-CE OS, I cannot see anything non-GPS related (no way to see any files for any of the other radio functions).
jtrosky offline

Postby upss » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:04 pm

@jtrosky My 2din unit doesn’t cut off the radio volume when the GPS sound is on. The GPS simply sounds at the level I set the GPS (Primo 2.4) and the GPS level is totally independent from the radio volume level. You are right that the GPS system on these 2Din units is totally independent and separate from the Radio/DVD. The main OS in my case is CE6 simply controls both and the GPS actual has its own OS. The GPS is a complete separate PCB (usually a small vertical PCB plugged to the main PCB). That is how they can sell exactly the same unit without the GPS a little bit cheaper.

What I was asking here in my original post is to lower (not to cut off) automatically the radio volume only when the GPS sound is on, does your unit do it? If your unit does it automatically then I would like to see your sys.txt file. I believe it can be done in the sys.txt file, Primo has a Sound command "os_volume" which I believe can accomplish it. BTW, I am an EE and I have been playing with GPSs forever so I do understand a little how they function.

On a different subject, you asked me on the “other” forum about my Branding.zip file. I have a detail post about it here so I tried to answer you twice on that forum by referencing (very vaguely, no links) my post here and their moderator deleted my posts and threatened to ban me from their site which is ridicules.
upss offline

Postby jtrosky » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:52 pm

My head-unit DOES lower the radio volume when ANY audio is played from the WinCE5 GPS side of things. It has NOTHING to do with iGO specifically though. My radio volume lowers during any sound - even if I boot straight into WinCE on the GPS side of things and cause some audio from within WinCE itself (without even loading a GPS app).

When I say the radio and GPS volume are completely separate, I mean that the radio volume control has two completely separate volume levels for radio and NAV. If I adjust the volume using the radios volume control when a nav sound (or WinCE sound) is playing, it adjusts the "NAV" volume - otherwise the non-nav volume. This is all with the radio's hardware volume controls.

This is what I mean when I say nav and non-nav functions are *completely* separate. For example, if I'm not in Nav mode on the radio, I don't even hear audio from the nav app at all. I have to actually be in nav mode to hear *anything* from the nav app (or WinCE). But I can hear all other non-nav sounds (radio, DVD, XM, etc) while in nav mode.

So, somehow, when any audio output comes from the GPS WinCE OS, my head-unit knows to reduce the non-nav volume. I read somewhere that any audio from the GPS WinCE installation goes to a hardware "mixer" in the radio and it's done that way...

Hope that helps - somewhat at least! :-)

If your GPS app is running a completely separate OS, would the sys.txt os volume parameter just reduce the volume of the GPS OS (not the non-GPS OS that controls the radio functions)?

Regarding the branding.zip - do you happen to have a link - I was unable to find a god branding.zip for Primo 2.4 anywhere. That is absolutely ridiculous that they threatened a ban because you referenced another site!!

Thank you!
jtrosky offline

Postby upss » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:05 pm

Here is my copy of the Branding.zip [Please Register or Login to download file] . This is the best Branding file I found which has many US icons and works with Primo 2.4. The only problem with this and most other branding icon is that they are not uniform in size. Also, to display all available icons, the display must be in 2D and you must zoom in. I am not sure the reason for it, I think this is a Primo function. Also, some icons have higher priority over other icons at any given zoom level. There must be some logic for all of it but I don't know it. Maybe someone has an explanation for it.

I found a couple of other Branding files which had some more US icons but sometimes it would display instead of a single icon a horizontal strip of multiple icons, apparently they work only with some older Primo versions.
upss offline

Postby jtrosky » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:48 am

Thank you - I will give it a shot. I also noticed that the Primo 1.1 that came with my Rosen head-unit has a large branding.zip - maybe I'll try that as well, although based on what you said above, it sounds like Primo 1.1 and Primo 2.4 branding.zip files may not be fully compatible.

Also, I've been digging into the whole "reduce the sound" thing a little more and while my Rosen unit appears to be a hardware-related implementation to do this, maybe some of the Chinese units are done via software - who knows.

I did find some interesting sound-related parameters in a version of Primo that is for a different Rosen model - maybe see if these are of any use? I have a feeling that these are used when a hardware implementation is used, but who knows...

[sound]
std_muting_device_needed=1

[sound]
enable_waveout_based_ebp=1

No idea what they do - haven't tested them at all...
jtrosky offline

Postby jtrosky » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:54 pm

FYI - after paying more attention to what my 2DIN does with volume when giving GPS instructions, it actually mutes the front speakers completely - leaving the radio audio coming out of the back speakers only. I'm not 100% sure if it quiets the rear speakers or just leaves them at full audio level though - I *think* it leaves them at normal level and just mutes the radio audio on the front speakers.

Sorry for the mis-information! Although, I don't really think that helps you at all since it's still doing this with ALL WinCE audio and really has nothing to do with iGo specifically...
jtrosky offline

Postby upss » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:23 pm

@jtrosky, thanks for the info. Are these commands still in your sys.txt?
[sound]
std_muting_device_needed=1
enable_waveout_based_ebp=1

I couldn't find any reference to these commands? Do you have any other unusual Sound commands in your sys.txt that may explain how this is working.

BTW, did you try my Branding.zip file, I am curious what do you think of it. The best way to test a new branding file is to simulate a route through a large shopping center and see what icons are popping up. Just remember, you must first delete your Save folder or at least delete the Primo\save\profiles\xx\poi_visiblities.txt file.
upss offline

Postby jtrosky » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:07 am

No, my 2DIN does not use those options - or any other [sound] options other than csv_voice_enabled. Like I said, my 2DIN mutes the front speakers even with the "ding" in WinCE, so my 2DIN muting isn't related to iGo at all...

I was just thinking that maybe those commands will help with some other 2DINs, that's all...

Still haven't tried the branding.zip - been messing with 2DINs for a few days in my house (connected to a spare PC power supply for power - works great!). Just been testing different versions of Primo, etc... Currently have (3) Rosen GM1010 2DIN's that I'm testing and getting ready for sale to some friends...
jtrosky offline

Return to General Discussions about iGO core