Speedcams for GO LIVE Camper & Caravan or the PRO 5150 TRUCK LIVE   

Speedcams for GO LIVE Camper & Caravan or the PRO 5150 TRUCK LIVE

Postby evroniano » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:49 pm

Hi guys, I've been having issues with my Tomtom and I'd like to get a new one, either the TomTom GO LIVE Camper & Caravan ([Please Register or Login to download file] ) or the TomTom PRO 5150 TRUCK LIVE ([Please Register or Login to download file] ).

I want to get one of the two models above firstly because I own a caravan, and secondly because they come with FREE lifetime maps updates, and that's a huge selling point.
However they don't come with FREE speedcams updates, I'll have to do those myself.

I don't know exactly how to do this, however I wonder if, after updating the speedcams, I won't be able to get FREE lifetime maps updates because the Tomtom server notices that there is something wrong with the device since it wasn't updated through the official tomtom servers.
evroniano offline

Re: Speedcams for GO LIVE Camper & Caravan or the PRO 5150 TRUCK LIVE

Postby tendriver » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:38 pm

evroniano wrote:I want to get one of the two models above firstly because I own a caravan, and secondly because they come with FREE lifetime maps updates, and that's a huge selling point.However they don't come with FREE speedcams updates, I'll have to do those myself.

Unless I am missing something, both of the links indicate that speed cams are included in the LIVE SERVICES, which is free for the first year.
I do not give help by PM. It deprives our other members of a chance to learn. Please post your issue in the appropriate forum/thread. You will get an answer.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby evroniano » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:33 pm

exactly, for the first year, then you have to pay for the years coming
evroniano offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:08 pm

evroniano wrote:exactly, for the first year, then you have to pay for the years coming

Both units are one of the new generation devices, that can't be cracked/patched. How would you use the cams, if you can't patch the map & core??
I do not give help by PM. It deprives our other members of a chance to learn. Please post your issue in the appropriate forum/thread. You will get an answer.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby evroniano » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:26 pm

exactly, I won't be able to update the cams. I've had speedcams updated for the past years, but to be honest I consider myself to be a really good driver, respectful of other motorists, I don't think i need those speedcams, however on another forum another user told me something that got me thinking, he told me that TomTom in the years to come is likely to consider this device obsolete, thus not allowing me to update the maps for free. It says a lot about the free lifetime maps update.
evroniano offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:10 am

evroniano wrote: 1. I don't think i need those speedcams,
2. however on another forum another user told me something that got me thinking, he told me that TomTom in the years to come is likely to consider this device obsolete, thus not allowing me to update the maps for free.
3. It says a lot about the free lifetime maps update.

1. If I'm not mistaken, you can use 3rd party Speedcams, which don't need patching.
2. He is correct. It happens to all models. TT refers to them as discontinued, rather than obsolete.
3. Two comments. A. TT defines Lifetime as the life of a unit, not the life of the unit owner. B. Yes you get at least 4 free full maps a year, but there is a catch. The free map update only applies to replacing the map that was on the unit at the time of purchase. If a unit comes with an Italia map, then you get at least 4 free full Italia replacement maps a year.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about TomTom