Medion E4460 - how to set TMC and BT to work in IGO8 and Pri   

Medion E4460 - how to set TMC and BT to work in IGO8 and Pri

Postby metulec » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:41 pm

Hello,

Got a Medion E4460 from ALDI. According to [Please Register or Login to download file] , it's

- 4.3" 480x272
- Samsung 533 MHz
- WinCE6
- 128 MB RAM
- 4 GB internal storage
- MicroSD slot
- Bluetooth
- TMC
- no FM transmitter

Whatever change is made to registry or to the internal folders (except My Flash Disk and Storage Card folders), after a power off or hard reset it gets automatically restored to original state. It means you practically cannot ruin it.

The included Medion Navigator 6 works mostly OK but sometimes after few minutes voice announcements stop to work if a cell phone is paired via BT. Requires power off/hard reset to work again. Possibly some bug in the software. TMC works OK.

As a long time user of IGO on PPC Loox N560, Medion software seems a bit poor in comparison, so I wanted to run IGO and Primo.

Followed the instructions from Yurbuh Tuggly to override the stubborn hardcoded startup, using the Universal Skin:

Take original gopal menu.exe in root of My Flash Disk on device, rename to mnavdce.EXE.
Go to My Flash Disk/Navigation, rename mnavdce.EXE to mnavdceorig.EXE
Move newly renamed mnavdce.EXE from root of My Flash Disk to navigation folder.

Get Fatboyfuns Universal Shell:

In MobileNavigator folder, rename MobileNavigator.exe to Menu.exe.
Rename MobileNavigator.mscr to Menu.mscr.
Copy new Menu.exe, Menu.mscr, and Mortscript.exe to the root of My Flash Disk on device.
Copy entire Universal Shell folder to root of My Flash Disk.

Get Primo, Primo2, iGo, or any navigation software that runs on WinCE. Copy it's folder to the root of My Flash Disk.

Important:
To get FM Settings, etc to load at boot, go to My Flash Disk/Navigation and rename (already renamed from menu.exe and moved from root to ../navigation folder) mnavdce.exe to mnavdce.NOexe.
In same folder (/navigation) rename audiomanager.exe to mnavdce.exe.
Rename mnavdce.NOexe to audiomanager.exe.
Reboot.

Setup shortcut (Button 1) to new Navigation software in Universal Shell.
To run original GoPal software, setup a shortcut (Button 2) to run My Flash Disk\Navigation\mnavdceorig.exe
To run GoPal Settings (FM Receiver, Power Settings, etc), setup a shortcut (Button 3) to run My Flash Disk\navigation\multimedia\GoPalSettings\GoPalSett ings_np.exe
-----------------
Reasons for all the renaming, etc:
Gopal is hardwired to run menu.exe (from root of My Flash Disk) and audiomanager.exe from ../navigation folder.
Now both (original) menu.exe (now moved and renamed to audiomanager.exe) which loads the FM Transmitter Modules and settings) and the new GPS Menu (in root of My Flash Disk) automatically start.
In Task Manager, they will show under their new aliases.

It is necessary for the original GoPal menu.exe (now called audiomanager.exe) to run at startup (which in turn triggers other modules and settings to start) in order for the FM Transmitter and TMC to both run at the same time--they both share Com1.

Issue:

Both IGO8 and Primo I somehow managed to get working with GPS but TMC remains dead.

From what I understood, the TMC receiver is not integrated in the unit itself but in the power (DC) cable instead. It connects to miniUSB on the unit.
Is this correct ? What protocol TMC, port and baudrate is used ?

1. In IGO8, in TMC settings I tried every protocol available - GNS, Royaltek, Eten, Amaryllo, Open TMC v1, Open TMC v2, Ngai Lik, Samsung, Fx, Avanteq.
No one works. AUTO neither finds a solution.
Tried also few proposals in sys.txt from the suggestions from this forum, but in vain.

2. In Primo 2.4, there isn't even a TMC setting available by default. Tried the following in sys.txt (also from this forum):

[tmc]
enable_subscription="1"
saved_config_available="1"
saved_config_classname="NMEA_GPSTMC_ROYALTEK"
saved_config_portname="COM"
saved_config_port="2"
saved_config_baud="38400"
auto_band_search_up="1"
auto_tuning=1
saved_last_tuning_mode="1"

With ports set to 2, 5 or 8 appeared a "traffic sign" button in the main menu which opens the TMC settings. However, the freq is set to 0.0 and it stays there. At the same time GPS also gets turned off. As soon as I exit the TMC settings, GPS turns on again.

It seems like GPS and TMC try to use the same source and they get fighting between them. There are no settings in Primo itself referring to ports and baudrate.

3. Is there a way to use the built in BT (handsfree) calling within IGO and Primo ? Similar to Medion Navigator feature.
How and where to set it ? Or is necessary another program (apart from IGO or Primo) to run in background to make it possible ? But then again, how do IGO or Primo know you are calling and mute their voice guidance during the call ?

4. By the way, what is the difference between TMC and TMC premium ? I mean, to use it on this unit. Out of the box it comes just with "regular" TMC.

Yurbuh Tuggly, you mentioned Medion GoPal (however I don't know which model you have), I suppose you managed to use the TMC and BT on your unit.

Thanks and cheers.
metulec offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:01 pm

I believe nabi also has this problem with a Medion, I don't believe it was resolved.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby nabi » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:14 am

Yes, I have the same problem on a 4260 (= 4460 without the bleutooth).

Medion Navigator software s*cks! It announces directions far too late and sometimes even doesn't update the screen :O while the directions do come (but too late). Recalculation is a disaster sometimes! But TMC is found ;)

The good news is that almost any Medion device is very easy to set up any other GPS program (not TomTom on CE6), even with TMC working. However, the Medion 4*60 is an exception to that rule. Inbuild is an Amaryllo TMC chip which is not the usual TMC chip build in other Medion devices (can't remember the name just now). Thus far, no one got TMC working on iGO/Primo/Medion 4*60 combination.
If TMC is important to you, I think I have read that some tricks get TMC working on Navigon-Medion 4*60 combination but it's not that simple to get it working.
When you want iGO/Primo, you must do without TMC until someone solves the issue. I gave up.
(Could be a newer iGO/Primo does the trick by itself.)
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby berik » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:07 am

Hello metulec and nabi

Maybe this can help you.

I have found this in another forum.

They say it will work with the new Amaryllo chip.

Here is what they are writing:

The Amaryllo chip so has its quirks
Therefore, there is now for IGO:
Amaryllo sys.txt for TMC chip + 2 additional files
Please enter the contents of the sys.txt in your own sys.txt
Please delete other TMC entries in your sys.txt
Copy the dll and the lib file to the root directory of Igo (where there is igo.exe)
Tested with primo 2.1 and 2.4
igo 8 should probably also work
Do not forget to then delete the SAVE folder - otherwise the changes in sys.txt is
not working.

[Please Register or Login to download file]

Have a nice day
berik
berik offline

Postby nabi » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:29 pm

Doesn't work on iGO8, nor Primo2.4. Are you sure about Port and Com in sys.txt ?
I think TMC port must be COM1 and GPS port COM2 and even then ... not working :-(( also not working when commented out (placed a ; in front)
I must be missing something? What other files are necessary? GPSTMC.DLL?
Can it be the Medion is different from the device the solution is posted for?
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby metulec » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:46 pm

Hello all,

Thank you for your info. I tried the proposal of Berik, including deleting the SAVE folder.

PRIMO: After the first run, it was indeed made a new save\profiles\01 folder, with system.ini containing the following (regarding TMC):

[tmc]
saved_config_available="1"
saved_config_classname="DLL_GPSTMC_AMARYLLO"
saved_config_port="6"
saved_config_portname="COM"

However, TMC traffic button didn't appear in Primo. Tried various COM ports, but no effect. I noticed that putting port "2" or "8" turned GPS off.

IGO: It didn't start at all, keeping resetting the GoPal unit. Had to put back the previous SAVE folder.

Looking at GoPal internal memory storage, in Medion Navigation folder, there is a TMC3 folder, containing 3 files:

AmarylloDynamicsLoader.exe
ADynamics4709.dll
GPSTMC.DLL

So, it means that Medion Navigator 6 is prepared to work with Amaryllo TMC chip. The question is, whether E4460 use this new chip or some "rare" version of Amaryllo TMC, as Nabi said. If it is really a "rare" TMC version used in E4460 (and only here) then the Navigator must have built-in support for such exceptions, which is hard to believe. The logical conclusion would be, that Amaryllo TMC chip in E4460 is the new Amaryllo, which mentioned Berik.
We should just find a way to read its data somehow.

Some hints:

1. Maybe this AmarylloDynamicsLoader.exe should be run in the background, to have the TMC data ready.

2. I remember that on PPC Loox I used some type of COM-splitter.exe, which made available the same data on more than just one COM port. A small virtual port server, so you could run more than one program at the same time and they used each one his own port. I wonder if this is the case here.

By the way, it seems the TMC chip is built in the unit, not into the power cable - which is used just as antennae. At least it seems so, because without the cable attached, Medion Navigator TMC freq just run through the whole range, while attaching the cable, it slows down and examines station by station.

Cheers,
metulec offline

Postby berik » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:44 am

Hi again

Sorry, I can't help you that much. I have not tested it myself.
I am just collecting info and files, to help a friend making TMC
work on his E4460 one day - hopefully.
I seem to remember that GPS port is COM2 - TMC port I don't know,
so this solution may be for a different device.

Take care
berik
berik offline

Postby metulec » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:19 pm

On [Please Register or Login to download file] I found some info on the TMC chip, claiming it's a new chip which is currently installed only in E xx6x units. It seems that only ME version of GoPal 6.x software supports it, while the advanced AE version of GoPal 6.x doesn't.

So, if someone wants to upgrade from ME 6.x to AE 6.x, then the "old" ME TMC instalation cab must be used, in order to make TMC work in AE.

Below is the article, clumsy translated from German by uncle Google, but enough to get the idea. It basically points out the actual TMC drivers used by GoPal ME 6.x (which comes preinstalled on E4460).

Feature of the AE version with the E 3260 and E 4460

Since both PNAs have a new TMC receiver, would TMC reception no longer be possible when installing the AE version, since this version is not yet mitliefert the new driver.
Users Pitter has in the neighboring forum GoPalWorld delivered a legal guide to even this to solve a problem.

In E 3260 and E 4460 A novel TMC receiver is installed, the updates do not support the MEDION. So here are some few steps are necessary to get TMC runs on the E3260.
prerequisite is a clean navigation, using the flash format in the Cleanup menu is adjusted.

1 The new version of AE according to point 2 prepare this manual.
2 Open the folder 0 and the following CAB file to the exchange of the ME 6 DVD: shell_xxxxxxxxx_xx_x.cab
3 0 then the folder of the installation DVD from the ME 6.0 \ Install folder \ 0 the CAB file tmc3_xxxxxxxxx_xx_x.cab copy.

Now please restart the PNA using soft reset. The necessary CAB files are now directly copied, and the device has all the required drivers and DLLs directly there.
After reboot, the machine will be fully functional.
These instructions are valid ONLY for the PNAs E 3260 and E 4460 ! CE6 and all other devices with TMC antenna USB cable are installed as before.

It drives us back to

Looking at GoPal internal memory storage, in Medion Navigation folder, there is a TMC3 folder, containing 3 files:

AmarylloDynamicsLoader.exe
ADynamics4709.dll
GPSTMC.DLL

which are the actual drivers used by GoPal to access TMC. To our horror, this new TMC chip in Medion is indeed still rare, as no other producer (except maybe some Navigon units) uses it. Until IGO and other Nav software adopt this new protocol, we are left without TMC support.

Hmmm... I wish I knew this when buying, but it's too late now.

Still hoping to find a solution somewhere in a form of a wrapper program: Getting the TMC info from this new Amaryllo chip by using its drivers from TMC3 folder, and then wrap the info into the Open TMC v2 format, for example, making it available on one of the unused COM ports. Then IGO and Primo would recognise it, I think.

Cheers
metulec offline

Re: Medion E4460 - how to set TMC and BT to work in IGO8 and Pri

Postby pupisor1978 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:12 pm

still no solution?
pupisor1978 offline

Re: Medion E4460 - how to set TMC and BT to work in IGO8 and Pri

Postby nabi » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:45 pm

Short answer : no
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod