Tomtom Android map or app changer solutions   

Tomtom Android map or app changer solutions

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:01 pm

Tomtom Map Changer Version 1.5

New version! 21-12-13

Now it can go as far back as the root "/" directory for devices that mount external storage cards away from the default sdcard location.

Recognizes modified apk's (such as a771la's versions) that just use com.tomtom rather than com.tomtom.{region} as the data folder, if this version is found then the installed applications list will be scanned and the first Tomtom app found will be started.
I didn't want to hard-code a package name otherwise this may cause problems with other region's modified apk's.
Please note this app is only suitable for single Tomtom installations with multiple maps!

The folder browser starts at 'sdcard', on most devices this is sufficient to access all user accessible parts of the file system including external storage cards, but on a few devices the internal 'sdcard' and any external micro SD cards are mounted in different locations, In this situation you can go all the way to the root folder by tapping the devices back button from the default 'sdcard' location.

This app is suitable for single Tomtom installations with multiple maps, When started it checks the 'sdcard' for any installed Tomtom application files, when one is found the currentmap.dat is deleted and the matching Tomtom application is started. This causes the Tomtom app to display a list of maps for you to choose from.
Please note: Only compatible and activated maps will show up, also if you only have one working map installed, you won't see the map select screen at all.

If the installation is not found, you will be prompted to navigate to it's location using the on-screen folder browser, the location will be saved for next time, if the installation is moved or deleted, you are prompted to navigate to it again.
An Android 'Clear data' will reset the application.

DOWNLOAD
[Please Register or Login to download file]

Tomtom Package Changer Version 1.0

This is a rough build!

This app is suitable for multiple Tomtom installations, When started it scans the applications list for installed Tomtom applications (com.tomtom.***) whatever it finds it creates a list of them all for you to choose which one is appropriate for you at the time.

If there are none, an error message is displayed.

If you have only one installed, it just starts it immediately, users in this situation can use it to have an icon on the home screen called 'Tomtom' instead of UK and Ireland/Italia/etc...

Please note: I don't check whether your installation of Tomtom has been set up properly, or even works. I just query the OS as to what apk's are installed!

DOWNLOAD
Link TBC

Obviously install either apk as normal, if you get an error, check whether 'Install from unknown sources' is enabled.

Also as i cannot test on every single device available, please feel free to provide any feedback, good or bad. I will try to fix bugs or adapt for device or Tomtom package changes
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby nixmit » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:54 pm

Both apk's are working fine!
Thanks!

Basically, just the map changer should be necessary, if only there was a smart way to put multiple maps under one installation . . .
nixmit offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:01 pm

Thanks, I'm going to do one for iGO when it cools down a bit, it's too hot to sit in front the laptop all night.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Downunder35m » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:45 pm

Multiple maps with one APK are as simple as on normal TT's ;)
I have wriiten a guide for it... :link:
Simply check what device ID you have, follow the guide and add as many maps as you need.
If you want to switch between maps simply start the MapChanger ;)
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby nixmit » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:46 pm

Downunder35m wrote:I have written a guide for it...

Thanks! I agree: that's easy enough.:thumbup:
nixmit offline

Postby ensc » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:11 pm

Fatboyfun -- thanks for the app, I'd love to use it but FYI the latest version of a771la's TomTom.apk (1.3b2) uses "com.tomtom" as folder name, and this breaks compatibility with your app (which expects "com.tomtom.foobar").
ensc offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:26 am

Which app are we talking about?
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby ensc » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:33 pm

Fatboyfun wrote:Which app are we talking about?

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, the Map Changer (1.3).
ensc offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:58 pm

I'll have a look at the source code, but at the moment it looks for folders called 'com.tomtom.' in the sdCard/tomtom directory.
It uses the folder name as the app package name.

Can you explain what happens exactly?
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby ensc » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:29 pm

Fatboyfun wrote:Can you explain what happens exactly?

Sure. So, a771la's TomTom app is based off the Italia version but he changed a few things including the name of the data folder, so the name is now just "com.tomtom", not "com.tomtom.italia" or "com.tomtom.anythingelse".

Now when I run Map Changer it does not allow me to select this folder saying "Unsuitable folder!" or something like that, even though it is actually the right folder.
ensc offline

Postby ensc » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:42 pm

One solution I could think of was to create a symlink to the folder with another name, but this doesn't work for some reason (at least on the Nexus 4):
Code: Select all
% adb shell ln -s /sdcard/tomtom/com.tomtom /sdcard/tomtom/com.tomtom.whatever
link failed Function not implemented

Then I actually tried fiddling with your app yesterday (hope you don't mind, haha). I decompiled it with apktool, and in smali\com\navitotal\tomtommapchanger\FolderView.smali, changed line 552 to say:
Code: Select all
const-string v8, "com.tomtom"

I removed the trailing dot, thinking it would do the trick. After that it allows me to select the folder, but then nothing happens, so there must be something else. So I posted the message. :)
ensc offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:50 pm

Ahhh ok I get it now, I can fix that, check back in a couple of days...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:57 pm

@ensc

Apologies, i never installed the latest version so misunderstood what you wrote.

Attached here is V1.4, It all works as before, but it recognizes a folder called 'com.tomtom' and scans through the installed app list until Tomtom is found, then starts it.

It will start the first app it finds, I purposely didn't hard-code com.tomtom.italia because it would fail if another modified apk was installed, and there is no way to know which app is to be started.
This may cause an issue if two Tomtom apps are installed, but the point of this app is to only have one installed.

Also i updated the folder explorer to only show folders available/accessible to the user, this should stop the force-close if the user needs to go back into the file system to access an external sd card, but goes into a system folder by mistake, no-idea why i didn't do this first time around :s016:.

It needed a little more work than just removing the dot!

[color="#FF0000"]See post #1 for download link![/color]

I'd be grateful if you could test it on your device for me...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby ensc » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:44 pm

Fatboyfun wrote:I'd be grateful if you could test it on your device for me...

Thank you! The new version works flawlessly. It detected the location automatically, didn't need to select any folder. FYI the device is Nexus 4 with Android 4.3 (CyanogenMod 10.2). Thanks again!
ensc offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:50 pm

In that case I'll add it into post #1 at some point soon...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Next

Return to Android Apps