primo on navigon   

primo on navigon

Postby lh4250 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:27 am

HI
Has anybody luck running primo 2 on a Navigon 70

Thanx
lh4250 offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:20 am

Not directly, but it should not be too difficult. You may need to run an alternate shell depending on what comes up when the unit boots.
The only thing is that there seem to be two different models; Easy, and Plus.
Easy with 64MB Ram, 2GB internal storage, Plus with 128MB Ram and 4GB internal storage.
Primo 2 runs much better (with all enhancements) on 128MB. But you should be able to run a limited Primo 2 on 64MB if that's the one you have.

EDIT:
In doing some casual research I have found instances of people having difficulty getting a satellite signal on some Navigon units when trying to run non-Navigon software. This usually means that something WITHIN the normal Navigon startup is also 'starting' the GPS so that the port can be detected. You may need to determine what that sub-process is, and whether it can be run/started by itself such as with Mortscript or similar.
But that's just my opinion..I could be wrong.
Y.T.
Primo2.4 PrimoAndroid TomTomAndroid
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Re: primo on navigon

Postby Robi-tim » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:30 pm

Hy. I have problem with navigon 43xx max. I made iGo Primo run on it bit it cant autodetect gps. iGo is trying to autodetect gps port for two days but doesent detect. I used gps debug program to detect gps and manually input port and baud into sys.txt but iGo still tryes to autodetect gps. Any help?

PS: The same iGo works great on navigon 1410 and autodetects the gps.
Robi-tim offline

Postby nabi » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:51 pm

Navigon is rather very special when it comes to installing any other GPS program on it. Meaning: It may work flawless or it may not work at all. The one model is giving no problem at all, the other is giving all sort of problems. So if you ask me, Navigon devices and iGO/Primo is kind of a gamble, no strict advice can be given that is applicable to all Navigon devices or to all installs. Possibly the way of installing might be an (the?) issue. That is especially the case when TMC comes in view. Often a port splitter is needed and (on this device?) it might be the case that GPS module is hard coded to be used by a certain program or needs a specific DLL or something else. Like Yurbuh Tuggly said higher. Maybe some one else knows more about it and has a working solution. I haven't.

But I can give some general advices.

I am wondering here if there is an error message and if so, which one.
"GPS receiver is not connected" means that Primo can't see the satellites but has found the GPS port and baud.
If the port or baud are wrong it says "GPS receiver cannot be found".
"Looking for GPS signal...", GPS port and baud have been found, satellites have not yet. So take your device outside, see it has a clear view to the sky (as less as trees, buildings, .... possible so nothing blocks) and wait. It can take a long time for a first ever GPS fix. rule of thumb is 20 minutes, it can take shorter, it can take longer. All depends on satellite positions, weather conditions, atmospheric circumstances,..... However, all can be in vain after all, even when that was the message.

Not finding GPS can be related by the source where you got the Primo build. It can be a clean build, it can be a build, setup for a device, which is not a Navigon. All kind of problems may arise sooner or later. When set up for a certain device, it can be found by exploring the save folder and sys.txt. Now, what happens if you delete the save folder? When in there are wrong settings Primo can be mislead enormously.

I am thinking of another matter. Is there at least a basemap (or a country map) loaded in content/map folder? Could be there is an issue

Also a possible cause is the combination Primo and Navigon. It's certainly not a flawless combination though some Navigon devices give no problem at all. With iGO8.3.2 builds there was (most of times) nothing wrong. You could consider testing a 8.3.2 build. Also delete the save folder when there is one in the download.

O, just FWIW, try port 2 and baudrate 4800
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby Robi-tim » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:23 pm

I made it work by replacing the manual reader in navigon. igo folder renamed ti manualreader and primo.exe renamed to manualreader.exe so now I turn on navigation and go to options and press manual and iGo starts and locate satelites and my position. but when i rename folder manualreader back to navigpn and manualreader to navigon.exe again it starts up aplication but when i open map wiev it displays on top ""autodetecting gps reciver""
Robi-tim offline

Return to General Discussions about iGO core