Sys.txt thread, tips, tricks, Q&A   

why need a sys.txt?

Postby nabi » Tue May 18, 2010 9:24 am

Originally Posted by traveller
I have parsed this thread several times and my learning outcome has been, that there are a whole lot of commands out there and I lift my hat to those who have correlated them so effectively in such a short space of time!
However, I am still left asking myself what I should include in the sys.txt files on the three versions of IGO8 that I am using viz. 8.0.0; 8.3.1; & 8.3.2 on a MIO C520. Frankly I don't see a whole lot of difference in the performance of programs running with and without a sys.txt file. Maybe I'm missing something! Can somone with more experience than I recommend, with reasons, what I should include in the sys.txt?

Compliments and thanks to all those out there @ gpsunderground who do so much to help.

traveller

Be glad you do not need a sys.txt! At least, you don't see the difference with or without one. Ideal would be not needing any at all, but every device, every brand, even every user seems to be different. That is why sys.txt can be usefull.
But that is also why there is no advice to be given what line should make part of sys.txt.

Igo working properly on your device, doesn't mean the same build working on mine. Even when it's the same device. I can use eg a software in the background that gives a conflict with iGO. Or, keeping in mind that the soft presented here is modified to work on every kind of device, a PND or PDA can make the difference. Some devices are new, some old, using different Windows versions, ...
Lots of reasons why one or another line in sys txt can be necessary.

Some examples:
1. running iGO on a specific device (eg the Xperia post in 8.3.2 maps/soft sticky, or some time ago: the HTC powermanagement topic)
2. to change a setting, not available in iGO itself or in a skin (eg the roundaboutcam option)
3. when you want iGO to run as you wish (eg programm in memory; maps on flashcard, street names in balloons or just not, ...)
4. ... maybe I think of something more later

Let's finish with a statement: there is NO unique and ideal sys.txt, but a sys.txt gives us the possibility to appreciate iGO even better!
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

diferences between iGO 8.0 and iGO 8.3 sys.txt configuration

Postby nabi » Tue May 18, 2010 9:25 am

Originally Posted by adriansusianto
Hello..
I have followed this thread but I'm still have a question.

Having tried all sys.txt configuration, Is there any diferences between iGO 8.0 and iGO 8.3 sys.txt configuration?

I have tried with in [map] header section parameters and put on my iGO 8.0 but I did't see any differences with mine old configuration (with no [map] sections).

So which one use for iGO 8.0 and which is for 8.3?
I use iGO 8.0 only.

Thanks in advance

Most settings are common between 8.0 and 8.3. However 8.3 being newer there are also some specific settings which works only in 8.3. You can keep the same file on both versions, in 8.0 "unknown" settings will have no effect.

Adit
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

old-style 3D navigation arrows instead of the new-style "strips"

Postby nabi » Tue May 18, 2010 9:26 am

Something I just discovered...

You can get the old-style 3D navigation arrows instead of the new-style "strips" that were introduced in version 8.3 by putting the following in your sys.txt:

[3d]
show_guidance_arrows=1
show_guidance_strips=0

Although it appears most people like the newer style "strips", I prefer the old style arrows, as they are easier to see from a distance in 3D mode.

Anyway, if you are like me, this is the way to get them back.

spaceclick
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

power on problem

Postby nabi » Tue May 18, 2010 9:30 am

Originally Posted by alex36
I have an PNA device with Win CE 4.2 NET and every time when I shout down, when I power on seems to load from last point, but in a second crash and restart to Navigation button . something to skip SD card cheking when PNA power on ?
thank you .

Bad news, that isn't something you can change in the sys.txt. That is the Resume Fix that the person who cracked the program has to add in.

PedraDaGR8

Hello,
I got the same symptoms on my MIO-C510 (Win CE 4.2 Net and IGO8), with "2Gb PNY" SD card. Found nothing, until replacement of the SD card by a "2Gb KINGSTON", and .... the problem disappears....
So try to replace your SD card (too slow ??)....
@+
Jeanm1242
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

tips

Postby nabi » Tue May 18, 2010 9:30 am

1) To use maps on both SD and Flash:

Add maps to \Storage Card\iGO\Content\MAP (plus POI, Buliding, DEM)

Make sure the folder is only iGO and not iGO8 or something else...

2) For power on restart (wake-up) problem, try this:

in sys.txt

[power]
skip_resume_process=1
skip_suspend_process=1

I also find that in my car if I power on before switching on the ignition it does not restart?

Neither of these seem to work every time but it may work for you?

Good luck.
JackD
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

time zone

Postby nabi » Tue May 18, 2010 9:33 am

Originally Posted by JackDo
Can anyone explain [TIMEZONE] settings:

[timezone]
auto_index=29 ; What is the index for time zones? No clue, I assume each time zone has its own index number
default_timezone=29 ; GMT+1 amsterdam
index=29 ; What is the difference between auto_index and index?

Autoindex is supposed to set your timezone based on location (never seen it work here in the US)

manual_dst=0
reset_os_timezone=0 ;What is the difference between reset_os and sync_os" I think this syncs the OS timezone to the GPS software setting
sync_os_timezone=0 I think this syncs the GPS software to the OS timezone.
sync_time=1
use_auto=1

time zone indexes
[Please Register or Login to download file] [Please Register or Login to download file]
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

sys.txt in PDA memory vs on SD card

Postby nabi » Tue May 18, 2010 9:37 am

While looking at my PDA's root memory/storage, I noticed that there is a sys.txt file in the Programs/iGO8 folder. It is the same one when I activated the product.

Since then I have made changes to the sys.txt after reading about it in this forum. However, none of the changes took effect until I overwrote the file in PDA memory/storage. I had assumed that the skin I am using overwrote some of my values but noticed that one change I made to eliminate the cursor did not take effect until being written into main memory.

If you're having problems with your sys.txt file, change it at the root level.

Ronp76

note from Nabi:

this is the case when you have a PDA release, installed by using the 2577 folder, that way igo is installed in memory and does only use the content folder on sd
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

wrong time, night instead of day

Postby nabi » Tue May 18, 2010 9:39 am

Originally Posted by saspo59
hi
i use igo8.3.2 at evry startup without fix satelite the program starts in night mode
how can i change the setting that the program will start at day mode
thanks

Saspo
It seems to me you are in the wrong timezone.
Depending on where you live, put in sys.txt such lines

[timezone]
auto_index=29
default_timezone=29 ; GMT+1 amsterdam

Nabi
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

how do appear road names not in bubbles, but on the road?

Postby nabi » Tue May 18, 2010 9:42 am

Try this in your sys.txt:

[3d_config]
rotated_roadsigns=1 ;road name horizontal(0) - rotated(1)
disable_roadsign_navigation_mode=1 ; in ballon(0) - road name of road(1)

Text after the ";" is comments and ignored by iGo8.

Titanium180
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

speedcam warning distances

Postby nabi » Tue May 18, 2010 9:45 am

Does any1 know how to set speedcam warning so it will announce at certain speed from certain distance ? I thought that this is already set in gurjon skin but i dont think s

ok ive found some config for those speedcams just need to test them, its:
warn_distances="170:400, 160:400, 150:400, 140:400, 130:400, 120:400, 110:400, 100:300, 90:300, 80:300, 70:100, 60:100, 50:100, 40:100, 30:100"

Hedzior (who solved his own question ;) )

Image[Please Register or Login to download file]
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

road name size

Postby nabi » Tue May 18, 2010 9:46 am

And ive tested showing road names while in portrait mode. You have to put 1 line in [3d config]
roadsign_lines_per_screen=amount ; ive added 55 here, when u put smaller number here the lines gonna be bigger

Hedzior
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Full settings and values for GPS header section in sys.txt f

Postby nabi » Tue May 18, 2010 9:50 am

Full settings and values for GPS header section in sys.txt file:

[gps]
source = source of the gps data. Can be:
"serial" - this is the default
"file" - reads the data from the given file
"click" - clicking on the map sets the gps position. Between the two clicked places the position moves linearly, using the current master volume as speed. You must set set_messages to 1 too.

filename = if you use a file source you must set this. use full path here. And double \\.
simulation_speed = If you use a file source you can set this adjust playback speed. 1 is real time. 2 double etc. 0 means infinite. Don't set this if you are using serial source. (can cause huge delays).
port = needed by the serial port
baud = needed by the serial port (the old speed setting is not used any more)
send_init = instructs the driver to send navinit to the gps on startup. Can be:
0 - don't send. default.
1 - send ecef init.
2 - send lla init. (nmea only).

set_messages = this switch sets the messages rates of the gps driver. This can turn of unused messages. default is 1.
maximise_baud = if on iGO tries to go for 57600 baud, by instructing the gps to change it's speed. Can mess up some buggy gps like ASUS 63x. Default 0
use_trickle_power = if on iGO turns on trickle power mode (200ms calculation in a second), if it has 3D pos and at least an average Accuracy. Otherwise it switches back to full power. I haven't found a gps that supported this command yet. Sirf only.
log_base_dir = the base dir of the low level nmea/sirf logfiles. use full path here, with double \\.
protocol = Force a protocol. iGO always autodetects the protocol. If you set this it can try to change the gps to use specified protocol. Can be:
"sirf" - For sirf protocol.
"nmea" - For nmea protocol.

Source:
[Please Register or Login to download file] (See Brian's post about third of way down the page)

I have yet to see all the values as listed here in the post at PDAmill.com. Hope it helps others.

Ronp76
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Previous

Return to > Tips and Tricks with devices and sys.txt