Mapsource (SE) - how to select the map folder   

Mapsource (SE) - how to select the map folder

Postby GunnarW » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:58 pm

Hello,

Thanks to this forum, I know how to handle maps with Mapsource.
I installed mapsource (latest installed version and also SE portable) on my notebook and put the downloaded maps in c:\garmin
The maps are found with mapsource (SE) and I can transfer them to the SD card.

As some maps are huge and need lot of time to render,transfer..., I also installed mapsource (same version) on my Desktop 64bit.
But here, the desktop can't find my downloaded maps. I create c:\garmin. Mapsource can't find the maps.
I downloaded Europe 2013.30, launched the setup. Mapsource now can find that map. It's under c:\program data\garmin. But another map that has a lot of img without setup simply copied in the same garmin folder: mapsource can't find. On my netbook, there is no problem. Everything I put there under c:\garmin is detected.
With mapsource, you can't "browse" to a folder. How to learn mapsource where the maps are?
GunnarW offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:25 pm

There are two versions of 'mapsource' maps: classical version with Family folder (with many .img files inside) and the newer gmap versions (a folder whose name ends with .gmap).

classical mapsource versions needs entrys in registry, that taken by setup, .bat file or .reg file.

gmap versions only have to copy into right folder (path depends on OS).

In Tutorials section you find more information about this.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby GunnarW » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:40 pm

Thank you for your feedback.
I remember executing a reg file once on my netbook (the place where it works fine). Is it possible that you only have to run once a registry? Because on my netbook, whatever I place under c:\garmin - a folder with a bunch of img's without running a reg / install.bat or gmap's "copied & arranged" with a setup - it's always detected by Mapsource.
GunnarW offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:25 pm

The registry path is different for 64 and 32bit Windows. For 64bit you have to open the .reg file with notepad or another text editor and insert the string 'Wow6432Node\' between 'SOFTWARE\' and 'Garmin\' in every line,
e.g. instead of:
Code: Select all
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Families\FAMILY_...

it has to be:
Code: Select all
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\[color="#FF0000"]Wow6432Node\[/color]Garmin\MapSource\Families\FAMILY_...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about Garmin