No GPS in my PND   

No GPS in my PND

Postby nitinule » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:52 pm

Dear Friends...

I have just bought a 3.5 GPS from Chinese site. They told me that they dont have Map for my country So they can send only GPS. I have the GPS now but I dont know how to put the Navigation Software inside. This is on Wince6 Device. [Please Register or Login to download file]

I have another Wince 6 Device and there is a file manager in it.. But in this Device there is no file manager. How to add a File Manager in it? (Like total Commander)

I have 8GB MMC and in my other device there is Garmin XT working on Wince6. How can I add that in this device .. I cant give the Navigation Application shortcut also.
How do I get the Windows Screen and Start button?

Please help

Best regards

Nitin
nitinule offline

Postby colint » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:32 am

Here's my 2 cents worth....

Many Many years ago I used a Compaq PDA as my GPS. It used an external bluetooth GPS dongle and TomTom maps. And for its day it worked very well. And was much cheaper than the $1K plus GPS units on sale at the time.

So first off I think you need to find what company has GPS software that will work on your Windows CE device. And then if that company has maps available for whatever country you are in.

As for a file manager on a wince / GPS. Do you really need one? Given that it is a GPS after all. I would do all my setup via a USB cable connected to a PC. But that is just me.

The cost of a dedicated name brand GPS, here in Australia, is under $100 AUD. Very Very cheap. eBay has dedicated GPS units, second hand mind you, that are even cheaper.

Buying a Chinese, no name GPS, does come with problems, of which you are finding out now. In a nutshell, you could have got a REAL Garmin GPS, with REAL maps, for not much more than the noname GPS you have now.

Or if you have a Smartphone (Android or IOS) you could use that as your GPS.

Just my thoughts and I am not criticizing you in anyway.

Regards and all the best.

Col
(aka VK2CRT)
;)
colint offline

Postby chas521 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:24 am

@nitinule

Where do you live? Strange! The resolution they give in the link doesn't match the screen size. A 3.5 is 320_240. Sounds like this might be a sort of trial and error.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby deejai » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:29 am

I read your specification you should choose program for
SDMMC
res 480 272
win ce6

such as Garmin mobile XT modify by artful
deejai offline

Postby nitinule » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:06 pm

Thanks a lot friends for your replies..

@colint,

GPS is my only hobby and passion and I like to explore many location based things. I have the following things in my bag

1) Garmin Nuvi 255W .. its basic but I am happy with it. Bought from Ebay.
2) Garmin Nuvi 2465LM India - Bought from Garmin India. Enjoying new free maps every time.
3) Garmin 1260T - Bought by my brother for me in US and I like it as it is small and compact.
3) Cybernav Mini Android GPS. - bought from same Chinese site. - Happy with it ( Running Sygic Aura + Sygic Truck iGo8 / iGo Primo + Navigon + NDrive all with India Maps )
4) 4.3 Inch Wince6 Device = from Chinese site and I am Happy with it. (Running Garmin XT + Navigon + Sygic + Mireo India + Igo primo + iGo R3 + Sygic Aura + Sygic Drive) it has File Manager to choose which navigation application to open and use.
5) 3.5 Inch Wince6 device .. (bought it yesterday and it is Empty)
6)Nokia E7 running Garmin XT and Nokia maps.
7) Samsung galaxy Note ice cream sw - Running many Navigation Apps.

So i like to see what is there in the GPS devices just for fun & learn. To surprise you I would like to tell you that I have never used any of the above device in my SUV... :-D) I have been using my Nokia N8 since few years now almost everyday for in-car navigation... The Nokia N8 was gifted to me by Nokia Germany in Berlin as I am Nokia's Moderator for Betalabs.nokia site. and the Adviser for three years for Location based applications. have been to Germany twice for Nokia Maps related user interaction workshops. (search my name + nokia betalabs in Google.) [Please Register or Login to download file]

So what you are Suggesting me is my PAST.

@Chas521,

nowhere on the device they have said anything about the resolution.. Now I will keep trying which one works.. I can keep the Navigation application like Garmin on MMC and try if it works.. But the problem is how to give the link of Garmin_run.exe to the Navigation button on my Empty GPS. thats where I am stuck.

@Deejai,

Thanks for your input..

Even I think so.. I have the Artful stuff and it is working on my other Wince 6 device fantastic but again like I said.. there is no way to give shortcut to Nav App on screen or file manager to open the EXE file from SDMM like I do it in my other wince6 4.3" Chinese device.

Thanks anyways.

Nitin
nitinule offline

Postby chas521 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:16 pm

nitinule wrote:Thanks a lot friends for your replies..

@Chas521,

nowhere on the device they have said anything about the resolution.. Now I will keep trying which one works.. I can keep the Navigation application like Garmin on MMC and try if it works.. But the problem is how to give the link of Garmin_run.exe to the Navigation button on my Empty GPS. thats where I am stuck.

Nitin

Your link [Please Register or Login to download file] Scroll down the page to the specifications and look at screen size and resolution.

A little history. I see that you have a good knowledge of GPS devices based upon the quantity and your modifications. Garmin Mobile XT [WinCE] was developed from the Linux-based Garmin devices and will not work on all different WinCE devices no matter whose programs you try. My WinCE XT program works fine on my MIO device but others have a different outcome. http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?9284-How-to-create-a-SW.UNL-for-WinCE5-XT I run my XT through Run GMXT while others have to use QUE.exe. It's the Garmin.mscr that must be modified. But try my program anyway.

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Velikimije » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:26 pm

nitinule wrote:@Chas521,

@Deejai,

Thanks for your input..

Even I think so.. I have the Artful stuff and it is working on my other Wince 6 device fantastic but again like I said.. there is no way to give shortcut to Nav App on screen or file manager to open the EXE file from SDMM like I do it in my other wince6 4.3" Chinese device.

Thanks anyways.

Nitin

You have to find main .exe file for that device, or ask the seller, what that chinese item used like main .exe file, and then just to rename garmin.exe file to name of that main .exe file, otherwise you can use some of simple unlocks for unlocking shell of that device, and then on unlock shell you'll have icons for igo8, garmin etc., or you can create them, on internet you can find manny unlocks with shell for 320x240,480x272, dependent what's resol. of your pna ...

But first of all, you need to tell us, what's that pna, model, name, etc. , so that we can help you easier, shortcut is easy to create, if you have acess to win shell, press longer garmin .exe, and then choose copy, then in empty space again press long with stylus, and you'll see something like right click of mous, and choose past shortcut, this "paste shorcut", you need to do in Win directory, then desktop directory in Win directory, and you'll see your incon on desktop ;) ... If that devie restore all items after power off, than will be necessary to make some autorun script, which will copy-paste shortcut in win\desktop directory ...
Velikimije offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:26 pm

Some Chinese wince devices don't have the desktop included, you can use the small utility "PNADesktop.exe" included with some device unlocks (most notably the mio moov unlocks) to run a desktop environment
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Velikimije » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:30 pm

chas521 wrote:@nitinule

Where do you live? Strange! The resolution they give in the link doesn't match the screen size. A 3.5 is 320_240. Sounds like this might be a sort of trial and error.

Resolution isn't related to display size :) , you have 5" pna devices with 800x480 resolution :), even most of 5" use 480x272, so on devices 3.5" you can have 480x272 resolution ;) !
Velikimije offline

Postby chas521 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:38 pm

Velikimije wrote:Resolution isn't related to display size :) , you have 5" pna devices with 800x480 resolution :), even most of 5" use 480x272, so on devices 3.5" you can have 480x272 resolution ;) !

That hasn't been my experience and I've been doing this modding stuff for years - but OK.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Downunder35m » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:47 pm

I can confirm that, you now get all sorts of 4.3 inch devices that offer up to full HD screen resolutions,
so the high resolution on his device is not that weird anymore.
The problem however is that the higher the resolution the better the graphics system needs to be.
If you double the reesolution you quadruple the amount of data for processing.
Most asian producers keep the costs down by using a GPU that is either integrated into the main chip or that has just enough power to play videos.
Another downside is the lack of support for those systems due to way the display system operates, CE was not really designed to run on such high resolutions ;)
So the producer has to develop own drivers to support it all and again to keep costs down these drivers are often made to fit the requirement of the system but not to meet the CE specifications.
To be sure it is not a fake you can use some programs that check the actual screen resolution on CE.
If you get it running and want to test the graphics core install IGO/Primo with all extras active and check what happens on route with a lot of 3D buildings, POI's and maybe an overlay ;)
In case that works well: hold on to that thing as you got one of the few with enough power LOL
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby Velikimije » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:01 pm

I don't doubt, just to make more clear this materia, that resolution isn't related to display size, like for LCD monitors for PC, you have LCD monitors which can accept higher and lower resolutions, dependent what manufacturer made ... In future you'll know that 3.5" can be with 480x272, and 5" with 800x480, like 7" , or 7" with 480x234, for some chinese manufacturers, etc. , i have expirience with these items ...

4Downund,

with 64 MB RAM he can't expect some good performance :), maybe if there is SGS CPU, otherwise, no 3d with .3dc and .3dl files, cause device will'nt can process that operations which are so high requests for him... But using iGO8, no problem,cause doesn't have high req. like Primo. This device looks so cheap, and not so good configuration it seems.. Yes, like you told, chinese manufacturers don't develope their drivers, but use WinCE, and then much problems with dividing sys memory for that devices...
Velikimije offline

Postby nitinule » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:54 am

Hello Guys.. @Velikimije and Fatboyfun for giving me new direction..

Thanks a lot for your reply.. will give some more details from Home PC in evening. Office PC is locked

hope something will help me.

regards

Nitin
nitinule offline

Postby nitinule » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:30 pm

Hello Friends..

Tried many Autorun Unlocks from MMC card and From Flash memory... there is no difference. Flash Memory is 64 MB. I have MMC Card of 8GB.

Here is the Image of my New Blank GPS. Not getting unlocked at all. Now I don't mind I brick it but something should change on the screen. Or it is useless to keep it.. Image [Please Register or Login to download file] .

I just want to have a file manager or a Start Menu button in it so that I can have many GPS applications on the MMC and then run it.

any solution?.. I am tired now. :thumbdown:
nitinule offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:08 pm

What do you get when you tap the "System" button on the main menu?
But that's just my opinion..I could be wrong.
Y.T.
Primo2.4 PrimoAndroid TomTomAndroid
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Next

Return to General Discussions about Garmin