Garmin Montana 600 Internal Memory - Help Required   

Garmin Montana 600 Internal Memory - Help Required

Postby BMWarlock » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:34 pm

I am hoping someone can help me. Last night I wiped the internal memory of my Montana - I didn't realise it was still connected via USB to my PC and I started to transfer a Raspberry Pi image to an SDHC card when I suddenly realised it was writing on the GPS unit! Disaster. I have only been able to recover a few files and have been unable to recover the partition.

I have a few questions/requests

1. What is the original formatting of the internal memory - FAT16, FAT32

2. Is the internal memory contiguous or split and what is the best way to reformat it?

3. Could anyone supply me with a a copy of the files or perhaps an image of the partition? I'm sure I made a backup originally but it appears to have gone AWOL - perhaps with all the Win10 upgrades I've been doing. I don't want/need any maps which could bring up licensing issues - I have those all backed up but I do need all the "operating system" support files etc.

I'd be most grateful for any help with this - the Montana was connected to my PC getting it ready for a trip to Germany in two weeks.

With thanks in advance.
BMWarlock offline

User avatar Junior Member

Re: Garmin Montana 600 Internal Memory - Help Required

Postby BMWarlock » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:53 pm

If any other lost soul finds their way here because they have the same problem, then the answer is to be found here:

h**p://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/share/view/74493303

It works a treat and any files which are not automatically reinstated after reboot can be downloaded using webupdater etc, googling around and asking a few nice folks.

Lessons learned? Always make a backup of the Garmin Internal memory (Do It NOW) and try to avoid parallel processing of SDHC stuff whilst working with GPS attached to PC
BMWarlock offline

User avatar Junior Member

Return to General Discussions about Garmin