Changing names Storage Card in SDMMC   

Changing names Storage Card in SDMMC

Postby zeljko2 » Wed May 02, 2012 5:25 am

Hi all!

How to change the registry WinCE6 name card "Storage Card" in the SDMMC and specify the way
for GPS to browse? China gps/dvd, 7".
Thank you.
zeljko2 offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Wed May 02, 2012 5:41 am

As long as you have whatever paths you need correct, why would you have to do that?
Messing about in the Windows registry on some units can be a very very bad thing to do.
But that's just my opinion..I could be wrong.
Y.T.
Primo2.4 PrimoAndroid TomTomAndroid
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby zeljko2 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:02 am

Yurbuh Tuggly wrote:As long as you have whatever paths you need correct, why would you have to do that?
Messing about in the Windows registry on some units can be a very very bad thing to do.

Hi!
Because most software comes by default as SDMMC. Sometimes it is not just a few places to make any changes without error.
Thanks for your reply.
zeljko2 offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Wed May 02, 2012 8:52 am

zeljko2 wrote:most software

"Most"?
I have found about an even split between "SD Card", "SDMMC", and "Storage Card"...along with a few other variations. All correctable by safely editing a few text, ini, or menu files.
It is far easier, safer, and more reliable to change the software to match the device, than the other way around.
Here are a few scenarios to consider if you edit the WinCE registry...dependent on the specific device and who made it:
1) You totally brick the device with no hope of recovery.
2) You find that you can no longer access the device through the USB connection to your PC.
3) Your battery goes dead or you otherwise cold reboot the device, and the registry is back to the way it was before you edited it anyway (and consider this a lucky situation considering #1 and #2).

But of course, it's your device and you can take whatever risks you want to with it.
There are plenty of WinCE registry editors available, but I will not give you a link to any of them, as it is not MY device, and therefore the risks outweigh the possible benefits.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
But that's just my opinion..I could be wrong.
Y.T.
Primo2.4 PrimoAndroid TomTomAndroid
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed May 02, 2012 9:20 am

I have never needed to change the storage card name within a device, if you have a lot of text to change use notepads "replace all" feature.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby zeljko2 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:40 am

Fatboyfun wrote:I have never needed to change the storage card name within a device, if you have a lot of text to change use notepads "replace all" feature.

Thanks. I understand!
zeljko2 offline

Return to General Discussions about Garmin