HOW TO INSTALL iGO PRIMO ON A VIAMICHELIN X960 NEW EDITION
[Screen: 3.5’’ (320x240 pixels); Processor 300 MHz; 64 MB RAM/128 MB ROM; Windows CE5 ]
SHOULD ALSO WORK FOR X970, X980 & OTHER VIAMICHELINS
WARNING ~ I know everything about nothing, & nothing about everything.
On & off over the last year I have been thinking about updating my x960, but as it is not the most common sat nav on the market I have been unable to find out how to do it by googling around. So after finding out how to run iGO Primo on my x960 I decided to produce a simple guide for others to use if they wish. Viamichelin[VM] pulled out of the GPS market around 2007 & stopped supporting their products. I purchased my unit for a “bargain price” in 2008 with full Western Europe maps [they do continue to give free speedcam updates periodically from their website]. My first thought was to unlock my unit & with varying degrees of success trying Miopocket, MiopocketLite, Xtyler & Vimpirep, all ending unsuccessfully [probably down to me & not the unlocks]. However, as the VM unit runs from the SD card anyway I managed to install iGO Primo 1.2 in the following way:- [IMPORTANT~see at bottom for notes]
1. Get yourself a 2gb SD cards [I don’t think any larger cards or formats work in the VM, but if you know better no problem].
2. Copy the contents of your VM SD card onto your new one.
3. Delete the contents of VMNav_Maps; VMNav_Tours; VMNav_POIs; VMNav_TTS; and in MyViaMichelin delete the contents of MyNotebook & MyPois. Also delete the contents of the InstallSD folder. [I left these folders on the card & you could possible remove, them all apart from the InstallSD folder]
4. Download iGO Primo 1.2 [ I used chas’s Primo 1.2 from [Only Registered Users Can See Links. Click Here To Register] ]
5. Unpack the contents & copy them into the InstallSD folder.
6. In the InstallSD folder rename igo.exe to InstallSD.exe.
7. Then simply put the SD Card in the x960 and do a hard reset ~ with luck & a following wind Primo should load & work.
8. From chas’s primo download & if you are having error cannot open/find map_housenumber trying to view map in a 320_240, don't panic it is a simple fix, as posted by marcy99, just copy and paste both files from 480_272: as follows:-
1. Copy data.zip from SD card to hard drive (it’s much faster to add files to zip whilst on the pc than it is on SD card)
2. Open data.zip + click on folder ui_igo9
3. Go to folder 480_272
4. Navigate to and copy and paste both map_housenumber_bg.bmp & map_housenumber_heading.bmp to desktop
5. Go to folder 320_240 add both files (from above) using add button on top of zip window
6. Replace new data.zip with one on SD card
7. Restart iGO Primo & you are done.
9. You can find maps, poi’s buildings etc to add to your device by looking around navitotal.
Thanks to chas, fatboy, nabi & marcy99 [along with other posts I’ve read in the forums] for helping me & steering me in the right direction, as I am not the most computer / sat nav savvy person in the world. [Marcy99 has unlocked her x960 & runs Garmin & TT on it, & should be able to offer you more help if you want to go down that route.] Primo has lots of extras that you can add but with only a 300mhz processor & 64mb of ram not all of the functionality will work ~ try one thing at a time & if that works build up on it. iGO8 3.xx should also work if installed the same way. If you are looking for a modern interface, that is easy to use, with readily available updates to maps, speedcams poi’s etc, Primo ticks all the boxes, notwithstanding any niggles it has, along with help being available to any problems in the forums, and is well worth a try.
PLEASE BE AWARE YOU MAY “BRICK” YOUR DEVICE & ANY CHANGES ARE DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK ~ BECAUSE IT WORKED FOR ME IT DOES NOT MEAN IT WILL WORK FOR YOU.
YOU CAN REVERT BACK TO VM BY INSTALLING YOUR ORIGINAL SD CARD IN THE DEVICE & DOING A HARD RESET.
All the best Catsmokey 060311
Last edited by Yurbuh Tuggly; 09-27-2012 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Primo 1.2 link corrected
Question: 2GB plain SD card or SDHC card? I see you've learned a lot being here. Thanks buddy for giving back - hint hint.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!
Mio C320 with MioMap, iGO 8.3.5, Amigo, Garmin XT, Primo 1.1 on one SD card
No help by PM. You will get better coverage in general discussion.
plain SD card ~ i'm pretty sure that 2gb SDHC don't work on the viamichelins & i also don't think you can us a plain 4gb SD card either
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)