Help with IGO Primo Unit   

Help with IGO Primo Unit

Postby Mos1n » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:55 am

Hello everyone, I have tried to do some reading here but I seem to be slightly confused so I decided to make a post. My boss from work just bought an $800 radio/GPS/everything under the sun radio unit for his 2010 Tacoma. It has a navigation feature which uses Igo Primo. He tried to add some music to his unit on the sim card and for some reason his phone deleted something off of it and when he would try to load the navigation menu it would come up with an error saying its missing a map close.bmp. I extracted everything from data.zip into the directory that data.zip is in and it started working fine again but he is complaining that the loading screen is not the same as it was before. I would just like a run down so I can get an understanding of how the file system works and how the unit reads the files. Any help on this would be appreciated because as we all know helping our boss is like helping ourselves if you know what I mean. :lol: I would like to understand it better so that I can make changes to his unit and customize it the way he wants.

Thanks in advance,
Mos1n
Mos1n offline

Re: Help with IGO Primo Unit

Postby filesupload100 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:31 am

Try the "how to" section
how-to-f128/
No help by PM, post your questions on the relevant forum and thread only!
I'm sorry, but please don't PM me with reupload requsts.
filesupload100 offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby Mos1n » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:26 am

I have read through and none of those topics help me. The reason I made this post was for a more one on one approach. Thank you for trying to help but if someone could dedicate a small bit of their time to helping me one on one that would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Mos1n offline

Postby filesupload100 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:38 am

I can't see any reason for the file "map close.bmp" to be deleted by any music.
Don't extract the data.zip. It should stay in the root folder of the device as it is, zip file.
Is this the exact name (mapclose.bmp or map_close.bmp)? If this file is exist somewhere, it should be within the data.zip file.
Can you find the missing file inside it? If you do, act as described in this post.
BTW, can you tell what version (help/about) of Primo is running? In my Primo (9.6.13.267029), I don't have it.
No help by PM, post your questions on the relevant forum and thread only!
I'm sorry, but please don't PM me with reupload requsts.
filesupload100 offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby Mos1n » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:07 am

For some reason a bunch of essential files ended up on his phone which he deleted. The radio worked fine but when he hit the navigation button it would load halfway and an error would pop up saying could not load file map_close.bmp or something like that. So I looked in the SD card and I noticed a data.zip with a bunch of files which I thought were a backup just in case something like this happened. I proceeded to extract every file inside of the data.zip folder into the directory where data.zip is located which is just on the main SD card. The GPS is now working fine. I dont understand from what I am reading the GPS unit works off of data.zip. It can open it and modify files within it but if that were true then me extracting the files would have had no effect and it should have remained broken. But like I said the GPS unit now works fine. The reason for this post is for me to get a better understanding of how the file system works etc so that I can customize and work with it the way he wants it. This was the original loading screen which showed up when he first installed the unit before his intervention:

http://fotkidepo.ru/photo/281579/13712ZsWpAjyJct/692654w.jpg

I was able to download this picture and replace the "loading.bmp" in the main directory (not data.zip I have not modified this directory at all) and now the loading screen works which he is happy about but now he wants the screen when you close the map to go back to the way it was when he bought the unit. He is very OCD. I am just very confused if the unit only reads and works with data.zip like everyone says why is it that I am able to modify the unzipped files in the main directory and have it reflect on the actual unit?

Thanks guys I appreciate your help! This is kinda fun messing with this thing.
Mos1n offline

Postby JmaCWQ » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:40 am

poi_mapclose.bmp perhaps?
There's usually about 80 or so of those in Primo I think, numbered poi_mapclose_000.bmp, poi_mapclose_001.bmp etc. etc..
They're some of the image files used for the poi icons shown on the map as far as I know.

Primo can read loading and exiting files from multiple locations, it can read them from the ui_igo9 folder in root, from a loading UX file in the UX folder in root, if those 2 don't exist it'll read them from inside data.zip.
My guess is that's why you were able to modify those files in the main directory & Primo could still read them.

If you work in data.zip make a couple of copies before you change anything (very important) so you can work on one & keep an original unaltered copy so it can be used again if something goes wrong.
Don't unzip/rezip data.zip, unzip a copy, do any editing of files from the unzipped copy, then when finished editing open/view an unzipped copy with WinRAR (version 3.9 or earlier) & drag/drop to replace the original of what you've edited to the correct folder & save.
Then just replace the data.zip on the device.
Don't do any editing on the device, do all that stuff on the computer then delete what you're replacing on the device & copy the edited data.zip to the device.

Look for a reset all settings to default setting, or renaming/deleting the folder named Save will reset Primo back to default settings if you want it back how it used to be.
It'll be like it's first time run and need setting up the preferences & options again
Keep a copy of the Save folder in case it goes haywire without it as having the contents of data.zip extracted to root may cause all sorts of weird things to happen :lol:
JmaCWQ offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby Mos1n » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:09 pm

So what you're saying is if I delete everything in the root directory and just leave data.zip and branding.zip then delete the save folder (which I have done before) everything should go back to the way it was when he bought the unit?
Mos1n offline

Postby holyhead » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:41 pm

Mos1n wrote:So what you're saying is if I delete everything in the root directory and just leave data.zip and branding.zip then delete the save folder (which I have done before) everything should go back to the way it was when he bought the unit?

No that is not what he is saying. So read it carefully again.
holyhead offline

V.I.P Member

Postby Mos1n » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:41 pm

"Primo can read loading and exiting files from multiple locations, it can read them from the ui_igo9 folder in root, from a loading UX file in the UX folder in root, if those 2 don't exist it'll read them from inside data.zip."

????? Is that not what I said?

:bs_quesexclaim:
Mos1n offline

Postby JmaCWQ » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:03 pm

If you delete everything but branding & data .zips you'll most likely break that copy of Primo & it won't work at all.
One thing it pays to also do before editing or changing things is make a complete backup of the entire root directory, then it's usually just a matter of replacing it completely on the device with the copy of the original if things go wrong with any editing or changing.
There will be .dlls & font files as well as some folders in a standard Primo root directory.
For example this is what I have with Primo 2.4 - 9.6.13.319729.

Please note that what's in that pic might not be exactly as your copy had originally, that varies between builds and customisations.
For you to get that copy of Primo back to what it was originally I guess you'll probably need to know what files/folders it had in the root directory before you unzipped the data.zip.
JmaCWQ offline

Postby JmaCWQ » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:13 pm

Mos1n wrote:"Primo can read loading and exiting files from multiple locations, it can read them from the ui_igo9 folder in root, from a loading UX file in the UX folder in root, if those 2 don't exist it'll read them from inside data.zip."

????? Is that not what I said?

:bs_quesexclaim:

Not that I read friend.
That sentence of mine you quoted above was a response to this:

Mos1n wrote:I am just very confused if the unit only reads and works with data.zip like everyone says why is it that I am able to modify the unzipped files in the main directory and have it reflect on the actual unit?
JmaCWQ offline

Postby Mos1n » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:32 pm

Well I have always heard a saying; "If it aint broke dont fix it." So right now everything is working fine. The way I got it to work again was like I said extracting everything inside data.zip, outside of data.zip into the root directory. I replaced loading.bmp in the corresponding root directory folder (not data.zip) and now the loading screen he wanted is also working. But he said there was another sort of splash screen (loading screen) when he closed the GPS map (going back to main radio menu) that had just a city or some sort of Toyota logo. He wants that back do you guys know the file that I need to change in order to get that? I mean honestly if I were him I would just leave it the way it is but he is very OCD :lol: .

Also does the unit update itself? Could it be that the loading screens he wants are from an older version and it used his cell phones internet connection to update itself?
Mos1n offline

Postby JmaCWQ » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:32 pm

Yep, if it aint broke don't fix it is a good saying to go by, I'd probably leave it as it is if it's working ok too.

Primo uses loading.bmp for startup then exiting.bmp for shutdown, quite possibly it'll be exiting.bmp the one that needs changing.
As for the updating I'm not sure, I guess it's possible but I imagine it'd only be traffic updates & things like that not the software or loading/exiting images that gets updated.
Someone more knowledgable might be able to clarify that for you.
JmaCWQ offline

Postby Mos1n » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:00 am

Thanks a lot for all the help guys! You rock! I really appreciate it. I will follow up on this thread with any questions I have that may come up. Thanks again guys!
Mos1n offline

Return to Program (+data.zip+branding.zip+license)