What GPS system do they use in Barbados?   

What GPS system do they use in Barbados?

Postby marcy99 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:23 am

Hi All,

I am travelling to barbados in November and I wanted to know if anyone can tel me what GPS I can use, apparently the hire cars come with an option to use GPS but obviously if I can get away with not paying for it the better this holiday is costing enough already if you know what I mean ;) if anyone can point us in the direction of a usable gps system on a PNA running miopocket 4.0 i.e ce 5.0 that would be great.
marcy99 offline

V.I.P Member

Postby gordonwh40 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:08 pm

Barbados uses the same satelites as the rest of the world, so any GPS should work. All you need is a working copy of the Barbados map on your GPS and away you go.
gordonwh40
gordonwh40 offline

Postby marcy99 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:43 pm

gordonwh40 wrote:Barbados uses the same satelites as the rest of the world, so any GPS should work. All you need is a working copy of the Barbados map on your GPS and away you go.
gordonwh40

Thanks for your kind reply gordon, can you tell me which software supports barbados, i.e what map do I have to get? tomtom,garmin,igo e.t.c ? .
marcy99 offline

V.I.P Member

Postby gordonwh40 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:03 pm

Hi marcy99
You can use any GPS system that supports Barbados maps. For example if you are currently using igo8 for your present location all you need is to get an IGo8 map of Barbados and load it into your maps folder using the same folder layout as your present map, except named Barbados or whatever that map is called. Same for any other GPS system. I cannot help you with Barbados as I live in Australia and have never had a need for a Barbados map. Try searching the map forums for you GPS system maps.
gordonwh40
gordonwh40 offline

Postby marcy99 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:44 pm

I have looked under tomtom and igo and I can't see any maps for the carribean, it looks like they must use their own software in their cars, because you can actually pay for it when you hire a car.
marcy99 offline

V.I.P Member

Postby nabi » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:42 am

About the availability of maps. It's just needs a user of a Barbados map who will upload it.
And then of course, the important thing is the software the map is intended for. I think Garmin has a good chance. Have you looked in that section? You can request a Garmin map also.
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby Titleist » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:35 pm

DELETED post
Titleist offline

Return to Other Systems