Chinese GPS headunit help!! "No map card found"   

Chinese GPS headunit help!! "No map card found"

Postby phffil » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:26 pm

Hello!

I have a Mazdaspeed 3 that has a Caska headunit installed but the SD card used to house the maps for navigation was stolen out of my car. :'-( Navigation no longer works. When trying to boot nav an error message reading "No map card found" comes on the screen.

I think this headunit might contain the navigation software on internal memory and only use the map card for maps and poi and stuff.

I have attempted to attach a picture of the headunit with the navigation WORKING.

Can anyone give me some help with this problem? Does anyone recognize the software that the headunit is running in the picture?

Thank you!
phffil offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:41 pm

That's clearly a version of iGO8 running.

Whether it's a genuine version or not I don't know, as it's Chinese probably not.

Are you able to access the internal memory? Either on the device using a file explorer, or via a computer.

Failing that is there an option in the device menu that allows you to change/setup gps/nav path/location?
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby nabi » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:46 pm

Looks like a IGO8.
Can you explore the contents of the device? If yes, can you find a file called "sys.txt" and publish the contents here? That may reveal the path to the maps.
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby phffil » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:36 pm

Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to access internal memory at all. It's a car headunit, so I'm not able to bring it inside to attempt a hookup to my PC, and I don't have a laptop, although the unit does have a USB jack on the front, the use of which I'm not sure...

I think I've been through all the menus on the unit, and none of them will either tell me the directories that are used, nor do any allow me to set directories, so it's completely been a guessing game so far...one that I've completely lost as of yet. :-(

The picture attached to this message is of the screen that comes up as navigation tries to load. The numbers are at the bottom right of the screen and I'm not sure if they're some sort of version numbers or if they could be helpful in any way.

Something interesting: I tried to put the full iGo program on the SD card, and when I do that and try to load navigation, those numbers in the picture I've attached are kind of "covered" with other numbers, and it ends up looking like a jumble of unreadable characters. It's kind of like the program is attempted to be loaded off SD and version numbers(?) are displayed over top of the pre-existing ones on that splash screen. (sorry about this description, it's hard to describe)

Thanks for your replies so far! I'm really hoping this can start working! :-)
phffil offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:32 pm

The USB jack is probably a host port for iPods, memory keys etc

Not being able to access the internal memory means there will be some guesswork involved.

Hopefully the vendor just kept it easy and moved the content folder to the SD card and pointed iGO to look there using the sys.txt.

So you can try setting up a content folder to your requirements as you would normally do and place it on a suitable memory card.
If that fails move the individual folders (map, poi) to the memory card root instead.

You can also try placing the above in iGO, iGO8, iGO 8, Navigation, Navigator folders etc...

If all the above fails see if Caska can help..?
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby phffil » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:17 pm

Does anyone know if the memory card should be write-protected, or if the files on the SD card need to be read-only?

Also, the directory structure would likely be something like: "root\iGO\content\map" ?

or more like: "root\content\map" ?

Would it be likely that capitalization would make any difference in the directories? (ex. iGO, IGO, igo)

I have a bad feeling that there is going to be muuuuch much more trial and error that will not necessarily result in finding the correct directory structure. I'll be out of luck if Caska decided to use some sort of proprietary word for the directory on the SD card. :-(

I want to also make sure, iGO is going to utilize .FBL files for the maps, correct?
phffil offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:25 am

The card should not be write protected.
It's going to be trial and error.
Capitalization does not normally matter.
Caska might help, you never know.
.FBL is for igo.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby phffil » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:19 pm

Ok, so I've begun the trial and error task of trying to find the correct directory naming structure for this Caska car GPS. So far I've tried:

caska\map\
content\map\
maps\
igo8\content\map\
igo\content\map\
nav\
gps\
igo 8\content\map\
map\
navigation\content\map\
gps\content\map\

Do you think it's likely that the sd card must have a specific name? Mine has no name as of right now.

Man, this is unfortunately extremely tedious since I must come inside and rename my folder on my PC and then go back outside to test in my car. :-/

Is it really likely that I'll find the correct directory names?

Thanks for all your help so far, guys, by the way. I do appreciate it!
phffil offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:27 am

Any card name is only seen by the pc, a Windows ce device will ignore it.

Did you try asking caska?
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby phffil » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:18 am

Okay, so Windows CE will ignore a volume label on the sd card. That's good to know.

I am having a lot of trouble finding a phone number or even an email address for Caska that appears to be English speaking. So, no, I haven't. :-/

Man, it's silly to think that I don't even need the files, I just need the directory names.. :-(
phffil offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:25 am

See if you can find someone with the same device and ask for some screenshots or an image of the card.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby phffil » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:44 am

Some headway has definitely been achieved!! My Caska CA3635 is now loading iGO Primo 2 successfully and everything seems to be functional.

EXCEPT that my headunit keeps switching its "focus" to the function that was previously active. Example: I'm listening to radio, then push "nav" and navigation loads. If I don't interact with the touchscreen for about 3 seconds, the headunit switches back to the radio display. Navigation is still running in the background, but for me to see the navigation display, I have to again select "nav", and then it will only show for 3 seconds and switch back to radio.

If I'm driving around after loading navigation, and I hit a speed limit threshold, the nav display will pop up and display that I'm speeding, but after 3 or so seconds, it switches back to radio.

Anyone have any idea what might fix this?

Thank you so much!!

(backstory>> I thought the headunit had the navigation program installed internally, but it turns out I was completely wrong. The program is housed 100% on the navigation SD card. Having the correct (or should I say "a working") maplaunch.ini was crucial)

Hope someone has some suggestions!
phffil offline

Postby phffil » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:28 pm

OK, so my headunit is 100% functional now. The headunit itself had a menu option that toggles between navigation audio only or navigation with audio in the background. Now the video focus of the headunit stays on navigation and audio plays in the background. Thanks for all your help with this! By the way, the exact model of Caska headunit is CA3635
phffil offline

Postby AndresVR » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:52 am

phffil wrote:OK, so my headunit is 100% functional now. The headunit itself had a menu option that toggles between navigation audio only or navigation with audio in the background. Now the video focus of the headunit stays on navigation and audio plays in the background. Thanks for all your help with this! By the way, the exact model of Caska headunit is CA3635

Hi,

I have similar head unit from Caska.
All navigation runs from uSD card, it is crucial to have correct mapalauch.ini and corresponding folder structure.
Files and folders listing in root of my uSD:
-----
iGO8 [folder]
ui [folder]
NAVI_MAP.cfg
touch.cfg
maplauch.ini

Contect of my maplaunch.ini :

[Sygic]
path=iGO8\iGO8.exe;
bmpiconpath = ui\Navione.bmp;
showname = igo8;

Contect of my iGO8/sys.txt :

[interface]
maxzoom2d=6000000
show_exit=0
skin="ui_igo8"
resolution_dir="800_480"
vga=0
recalc_voice=0

[map]
2dheadup=1
3d_max_tiltlevel=8900
3d_default_tiltlevel=8900
3d_scale_carmodel=1
3dcarsizemin=3000
3dcarsizemax=7000
3dcarsizemul=12000

[rawdisplay]
screen_x=800
screen_y=480
highres=0

[gps]
port=6
baud=4800
set_messages="0"
protocol=NMEA

[msnd]
enabled=0

[sound]
ding=0
pause_mp3_sooner=1
queue_length=0
suspend_time=0
mute_os_key=1
maneuver_chimes=0
sound_muted=1
voice_muted=0
wheelsound=1
dynamic_volume_type=0

[warning]
speedcam_max_lookahead=600
speedwarn_alt_builtup_based=1

[debug]
skip_eula=1

Caska unit is able to run iGo8, iGo Primo 1.... 2.4
Hardware-wise it best suited for iGo8 because iGo Primo versions are more resouce heavy.
You can also put several different navigation programs to uSD (need to add entries to maplaunch.ini) and selectively launch them when Caska unit starts

Good luck!
AndresVR
AndresVR offline

Postby D.I.I. » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:32 am

As I have seen o 2DIN Caska device, the main folder with the navigation Software from the Storage Card is called DESTINTAOR and the exe file is DESTINATOR.exe.
So, my advice is to put a KIT of iGO8 on a Storage Card and to rename the Main folder iGO8 into DESTINATOR and the executable file iGO8.exe into DESTINATOR.exe.
If this solution will work, you could install also Primo 2.4.0 on your device(also depending on the resolution).:003:
Enjoy,

D.I.I.
D.I.I. offline

User avatar Junior Member

Next

Return to Mazda