Size of incremental Europe maps?   

Size of incremental Europe maps?

Postby Rigobert2 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:35 am

After up updating two TomTom nav systems recently, I noticed that the size of the incremental maps for Europe (North, East and South) are smaller than they used to be. (till the 950.xxxx series) Since when has this change been implemented? Or are these some incomplete maps posted on the internet?
Most errors are caused by our fingers.
Rigobert2 offline

Re: Size of incremental Europe maps?

Postby holyhead » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:16 am

Rigobert2 wrote:After up updating two TomTom nav systems recently, I noticed that the size of the incremental maps for Europe (North, East and South) are smaller than they used to be. (till the 950.xxxx series) Since when has this change been implemented? Or are these some incomplete maps posted on the internet?

Because the maps from TomTom getting bigger and bigger there was not space enough on different TomTom devices.
So they changed their coverage completely and the maps are fitted now on the most devices.
The only problem is you must make a choice wich maps you really need and sometimes you need to place 2 maps.
If you place 2 maps or more you can not seamlessly navigate from country to country and you have to switch from maps in your TomTom.
If you need more then they cover then the only solution is to buy a bigger TomTom with more memory.

Meanwhile, it is great that TomTom takes into account the older devices and still
make sure that there are maps available.
Last edited by holyhead on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
holyhead offline

V.I.P Member

Postby Razorblatter » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:20 pm

Well, for 1GB devices it was inevitable to rearrange maps but even then I think they made some maps smaller than needed.
Maps for 2GB devices were not so much getting too big and the 'new' maps are not always that handy.
For us at the forum one needs to pay attention which map covers which countries and yes often you will need to combine maps.

One advantage for TT is that loyal map buyers will often have to pay for two or more maps to get the coverage they need. :022:
Razorblatter offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby holyhead » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:04 pm

Razorblatter wrote:One advantage for TT is that loyal map buyers will often have to pay for two or more maps to get the coverage they need. :022:

Of course not I am a loyal map buyer for years and on my XL IQ LIVE (and also a Start 2 with Europe) Official it was sold with Western Europe. In the mean time that map is to big. So I have a choiche between

1.Europe Noordelijke zone 975.7751 (611 MB)
Duitsland, Denemarken, Finland, Noorwegen, Zweden, Belgie, Nederland, Luxemburg
2.Europe Westelijke zone 975.7751 (681 MB)
Belgie, Nederland, Luxemburg, Frankrijk, Monaco, Verenigd Koninkrijk, Rebubliek Ierland
3.Europa Zuidelijke zone 975.7751 (652 MB)
Oostenrijk, Zwitserland, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Spanje, Gibraltar, Portugal, Italie, San Marino, Malta en Vaticaanstad. Coverage of mainroads for Frankrijk en Monaco

Via Home you can only place one of these maps but with explorer you can place 2 maps.
Please translate the above countries into English!!
tendriver
Super Mod
[/align][/b]
holyhead offline

V.I.P Member

Postby Razorblatter » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:10 pm

Admittedly, that is not that bad.
But...why are these map so small?
Why does TTH not allow installing two maps?
Why is Europa_Southern_Zone NOT including full coverage of France?
No sound thinking in my mind.

By the way what I'm doing with Western_Europe is that I switch the poi.dot from Europe_South (v960) and you have a pretty good map!
Mind you, you can't install computer voices too using this map because you'll run out of space on a 2 gb device.
Last edited by Razorblatter on Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Razorblatter offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby holyhead » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:50 pm

Razorblatter wrote:Admittedly, that is not that bad.
But...why are these map so small?
You never know what TT have in mind
Why does TTH nog allow instelling two map?
A little stupid but you make a choice witch map you want and then the old one is erased. But as I said you kan use explorer instead for place more maps.
Why a Europa_Southern_Zone andere NOT including full coverage of France.
Noboddy knows
No sound thinking in my mind.

By the way what I'm doing with Western_Europe is that I switch the poi.dot from Europe_South (v960) and you have a pretty good map!
That is a possibility. I only need the UK and BNL. For the UK I have to swich to miles, so I switch the map to.
Mind you, you can't install computer voices too.
holyhead offline

V.I.P Member

Postby Rigobert2 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:58 am

Thanks for all the extensive information provided. My solution was simply to use a "large" memory card, when possible on some TomTom models, using the Benelux map and including the additional incremental/full map for Europe. Also advising the owner(friend) that the maps don't overlay seemlessly, and they have to switch from the Benelux map to the larger map when entering countries at the border outside the BNL.
Most errors are caused by our fingers.
Rigobert2 offline

Postby holyhead » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:10 am

You said it yourself your solution was simple.
If you have an SD Card then it is not important at all that the coverage for some maps was changed. Use the map Europe and seamless navigation in Europe is easy.
For local use the BNL is handy but some overkill because it is already in the BNL.
There are some rumours around that with a small map route calculation go,s faster but that's not my experience.
holyhead offline

V.I.P Member

Return to > Maps v9XX